Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2010, 10:52 PM
Boxer Buddy

Wink Bumm...draggin???

I wanted to ask this in an "appropriate" way. There really is no delicate way to ask this. My little Roxypoo (one of her many nicknames! ) has had this problem a few times recently. She drags her bum across the floor. I checked her "rear" area, and it looks like my sons skin does when he has excema. I did a little research on this subject and usually it says this means that your dog has a parasite. She has been tested and is parasite free. I have also read that sometimes this can mean that your dog needs their anal sac massaged. Well, being no expert, I did try this and it seemed like it felt better to her. She does have allergies, which it seems is common to the breed as well. (she also fits well in my family, we are all allergic!) She's a very happy little girl (I say little because she is smaller than most female boxers. She is only now about 49 lbs. and she has slowed down in her "silver" years. She was "tiny" for a long time only weighing 35-40 lbs for many years-being the typical "high energy" dog that we all know boxers to be) Does anyone have any good ideas? Or are there any topical (safe) ointments or lotions that I can put on her on her bumm.?

Old 11th May 2010, 08:27 AM
Boxer Booster

You might need to take her to the vet to have her anal sacs emptied. We have to take Cash about once a month to have this done. He will either scoot across the floor (rarely), or just spray (YUCK!!) to let us know it's time to have that done.
~cat - Dinah **RIP Jinx 3/02 - 9/10**

Old 11th May 2010, 08:52 AM
Super Boxer

The rubbing could be what has irritated the skin and once she stops the rubbing her skin may heal. I agree that if she doesn't have any fleas or internal parasites then she likely needs her glands expressed. It isn't difficult to do but you need someone to show you how. It is really gross though so if you'd rather not do it yourself the vet tech or even a groomer can do it for you.

Old 11th May 2010, 12:59 PM
Boxer Buddy

Bumm Draggin??

Ewww! I'm sorry but how do they empty the anal sacs? Sorry I have not read how that is done. After having her this long you would think that I had heard or read just about everything there is to know about Boxers. I do read and research a lot but I could not find a lot about this. lol ~

Old 11th May 2010, 03:35 PM
Super Boxer

Impacted anal sacs are relatively common, although I think you see them more often with smaller dogs. I've never had to deal with this issue myself, although I did once experience a kitten releasing some anal sac fluid out of fear. The stench was like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. Usually when a dog defecates the pressure of passing the stool causes a small amount of anal sac fluid to be released. Sometimes in dogs with chronically loose stools this doesn't occur and the sac becomes full and clogged. There are other causes as well. When this occurs manual expression (release) of the fluid is necessary. I have heard horror stories of anal sac expressions gone wrong (gross stuff not dangerous stuff) so I would advise having a professional express Roxy's anal glands. Hope this solves her problem.

Old 11th May 2010, 05:09 PM
Boxer Buddy

Bumm Draggin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsmom View Post
Impacted anal sacs are relatively common, although I think you see them more often with smaller dogs. I've never had to deal with this issue myself, although I did once experience a kitten releasing some anal sac fluid out of fear. The stench was like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. Usually when a dog defecates the pressure of passing the stool causes a small amount of anal sac fluid to be released. Sometimes in dogs with chronically loose stools this doesn't occur and the sac becomes full and clogged. There are other causes as well. When this occurs manual expression (release) of the fluid is necessary. I have heard horror stories of anal sac expressions gone wrong (gross stuff not dangerous stuff) so I would advise having a professional express Roxy's anal glands. Hope this solves her problem.
Roxy was prescribed Science Diet W/D( for pancreatitis not for weight loss) because it is supposed to be high in fiber. She goes often but her stools are not loose at all. In fact she has never had diarrhea. Her stools are solid but not hard either. She just goes several times a day. Isn't this normal? I have to take her in soon to have her senior wellness blood tests again. The doctor that preformed her surgery in January said that she had just slightly elevated liver and that he felt that because the mass that he removed had been pressing really hard on her pancreas that was most likely the reason for her pancreatitis. She is also on a very low dose of prednisone/antihistamine combo for allergies. She only takes one half to one pill every other day. If I miss a dose though she is miserable with the itching. She starts slobbering and refuses to eat. If I give her the dose religiously she is just fine. I know that giving any type of cortisone like meds. for extended periods of time can have bad effects on her, but all of her blood work has shown no evidence of any type of damage. So back to the stool issues and the draggin' problem, how can you tell if the anal sac is too full? Thank you everyone that has given there input and advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfrankie View Post
My girl is 3 and a half and my pup is 11 days old- 7 weeks til i pick him up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djheitz View Post
Roxi is our fist boxer and she'll be ten in a couple of weeks. Our boys are 4 and 6.

The oldest I've seen come through rescue is 15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathysboxer View Post
Tyson is our first boxer. We got him at 10 weeks, and on Jan. 14, he turned 2.
We then found our sweet girly girl Bailey. She just turned 1 on Jan. 6.
They are both my babies and I would do anything (well, I already have I think LOL) for them. I will never own a different breed of dog. I feel as though boxers are my soul mates. I don't look forward to the day when we will have to say "See you later at the bridge" but I know they will be waiting for me. They are truly angels from God.

Old 11th May 2010, 05:53 PM
Boxer Buddy

Talking Bumm Draggin??

I apologize for my last message here, well not the message itself it was the 3 quotes that follow my own message. I honestly don't know how they got there at that time! My only defense is "I'm new here" lol

Old 11th May 2010, 06:35 PM
Super Boxer

Both of my dogs have normal BM and still I need to express their glands from time to time. Funny how when you do something enough times it becomes not such a big deal. There is a certain 'technique' but basically you put your thumb and index finger on either side of the anus, pushing in just a bit and then gently squeeze as you drag your fingers outward. If they are really 'full' then they can squirt in all directions and this is a task best performed outside. All dogs have a slightly different odor and it has a sort of metallic odor to it. It's pretty bad! Sometimes if they are impacted they need to be done internally which is the same sort of process except the index finger is inserted into the rectum. You do need to learn how to use the right amount of pressure so you don't cause pain or damage the glands so having your vet do it and showing you how (if you even want to go there) is a must.
The Following User Says Thank You to srennie For This Useful Post:
roxypoosmom (12th May 2010)

Old 12th May 2010, 07:24 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Anal gland fluid

If your dog is dragging his/her bumm than yes - anal gland sacs need to be expressed. We didn't catch on quick enough to that and the first time Rocky's emptied were when he was on my lap on the couch. Talk about the most horrible smell I have EVER encountered. I was like a mix of sewer, rotten milk, tuna, and UGH. I can't even explain it.

Since that one incident we keep an eye on him - if he licks there a lot or starts dragging he goes right to the vet.

Let us know what happens!
The Following User Says Thank You to RockyCody For This Useful Post:
roxypoosmom (12th May 2010)

Old 12th May 2010, 11:37 AM
Boxer Pal

Funny you should post this, a couple of nights ago while we were in bed, Abby of course sleeps in the middle of me and my hubby. She woke up startled, and started licking her rear leg (so I thought) and the bed had a wet spot, the next morning I saw a little stain where she was licking, not any color, basically an outline of a stain.

I asked her what the stain was and pointed to it, she started licking it, I then went and smelled it, GAG!!!!

It was like a rotten... fish.... stink. Needless to say the sheets came off the bed and into the wash and I googled 'fishy smell from dogs hind end" and came up with the anal gland therory.

There are a few youtube videos showing how to, and I must say it is very gross! I hope it was a one time thing and that her glands express themselves out in the backyard from now on!

Old 12th May 2010, 12:02 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Y'all just don't understand the joy...I have Ms. Isadora, my little maniac pug who has the hyper personality of a jack russell x3 and the build of a chihuahua...is so hyped up that she expresses her anal glands on a regular basis, everywhere. Your lap, the furnitures, etc. We couldn't understand why she had such bad breath all the time...well, we figured it out! Short of medication, there's nothing we can do to prevent it. Oh, the joy...
Cairo, white boxer, 2002-2010, my angel. I miss my funny face.

Old 13th May 2010, 01:10 AM
Boxer Buddy

Bumm Draggin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althea View Post
Y'all just don't understand the joy...I have Ms. Isadora, my little maniac pug who has the hyper personality of a jack russell x3 and the build of a chihuahua...is so hyped up that she expresses her anal glands on a regular basis, everywhere. Your lap, the furnitures, etc. We couldn't understand why she had such bad breath all the time...well, we figured it out! Short of medication, there's nothing we can do to prevent it. Oh, the joy...

Is that why you call her the pug from h e double hockey sticks ??? I know that it is probably not funny but sorry, I could not stop laughing.

In fact the smells some of you have described I think I have smelled from my "darling" Roxypoo. Kind of a skunk !

Thank you all for you recommendations. I am not easily scared so I will have the vet show me and do it from then on!