Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2010, 06:42 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Hemangiosarcoma...sad...

My little boy boxer of 6.5 years old just got diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma (cancer) of which was found in his hind leg...in the thigh. His back leg is really swollen and he is not using it currently due to it being in his muscle. All of this just happened in the past 1.5 weeks....needless to say we are sooo sad.

The vet has prescribed tramadol and gabapentin for pain (still isn't using his leg). We have an ultrasound and xrays scheduled in 2 days to understand if it is in other places.

Does anyone have any experience with this awful disease? Any suggestions?? Also prayers are certainly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Old 9th May 2010, 09:47 AM
Super Boxer

I'm so sorry! It's never easy to hear that our 'kids' have something so horrible. Unfortunately it seems with our breed of choice it is inevitable at some point. Our 2nd boxer had a hemangiosarcoma when he was just under 1 y/o. Yes, he was still a puppy. I worked for a wonderful vet at the time and we caught it very early and he was able to remove the entire tumor with good margins. His was on his ribcage so it wasn't deeply imbedded and he made a full recovery.

I knew another boxer who had one in the area your boys' is in. His owners didn't notice the swelling as it was pretty slight but this was a dog who I knew for years and groomed on a regular basis. I pointed out the swelling and told them they would be wise to have it checked by a vet right away. It was a tumor and the vet was able to remove it and he lived several years afterward. I believe he was 6 or 7 at the time.

Is the vet considering surgery to remove the tumor? Or are you waiting for test results to be sure it hasn't spread first.

I'll say a prayer for you guys. One thing I've learned with boxers, you can't afford to leave any lump or bump 'unsupervised' and if one changes or pops up suddenly, it's time for a vet visit.

Old 9th May 2010, 10:09 AM
Boxer Booster

Prayers...

I am sending prayers and best wishes your way. I don't have any experience or knowledge or what your dog has but I certainly understand what you are going thru. My dog was recently diagnosed with lymphoma and is very ill.

I wish you strength during this tough period of discovery and gathering information. It hurts a lot.. I just try and enjoy the time I have now as much as I can. My sweet girl is laying next to me now and I cherish that. She is having back leg issues as well. (((hugs)))

Terri

Old 9th May 2010, 12:31 PM
Boxer Insane

I have no advice or info to help you, but I will say a prayer for your baby.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 9th May 2010, 05:25 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by srennie View Post
Is the vet considering surgery to remove the tumor? Or are you waiting for test results to be sure it hasn't spread first.
Tomorrow we are going in to see if it has spread anywhere else. It's encouraging to hear that it was removed on another boxer that had it on the hind leg as well. The vet told us when they determined that it was hermagiosarcoma a couple of days ago that they would prob. have to remove the entire leg. I really hope this isn't the case due to us also finding out that he has bad hip dysplasia through this process. The part that worries us even more is that the vet said with hemangiosarcoma, even with removal, the recurrence is very high which reduces the timeframe left.

Thanks so much for the prayers that have been sent our little boys way....thanks for the success stories as well.....a little hope helps!