Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 26th April 2010, 05:08 PM
Super Boxer

Thyroxine and dry mouth????

Hi all, we have had several issues over the last year. Justice was diagnosed with thyroid problems last april and put on thyroxine twice a day...It took a few months but the vet claims that her blood work shows that she is on proper dosage now. She takes .5 two times a day. In September, we had a grade 2 MCT removed with clean margins and a low mitotic index. I still went to an oncologist and got a second opinion who said that all appears well and that there was no need for pepcid or benadryl. In Nov, she started vomitting bile in the early hours of the morning a few times a week and also had loose stools. More tests ran(blood work, xrays, etc) and they felt it just may be a touch of colitis or pancreantitus. Tooks antibiotics and probiotics and her stools are much improved. We also switchedto a prescription dog food and no junk treats. Still has been throwing up once about every 6-8 weeks. Now we have been giving her a pepcid daily on top of her thyroxine. The issue we are having now is she appears to be having dry mouth most nights and is constantly smacking and swallowing. Water is available at all times and I am starting a humidifier tonight....has anyome else had dry mouth issues with either med? It keeps us up at night and I am sure she is not well rested either. It is odd because it mostly only happens at night. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Lisa and Justice
Sponsored Links

Old 26th April 2010, 06:27 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
The issue we are having now is she appears to be having dry mouth most nights and is constantly smacking and swallowing.
Highly doubtful that what you are describing is a dry mouth. If your dog had a dry mouth she would go get a drink. Those are symptoms of nausea. Long shot but it could also be a bad tooth.
How long after she eats does this happen?

She might be cancer-free however due to having a MCT in the past her body naturally makes TOO MUCH histamine. Too much in the tummy can cause nausea.
Thyroid issues can also cause nausea.

I'd ask the vet about doing a trial run of Pepcid for a while to see if you notice a difference. Wouldn't hurt AND it might solve the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cami For This Useful Post:
Lisa H (26th April 2010)

Old 26th April 2010, 06:43 PM
Super Boxer

Her last meal of the day is at 5 ish and she starts smacking anywhere in between seven and midnight...it is usually the worst between midnight and 2 ish...we have just started giving her a pepcid a day about 5 weeks ago and she hasn't vomitted since but she contiunes to smack...we even started giving her a few bisquits before bed so that her belly isn't empty and it continues. Her appetite is great and she runs around like a crazy nut daily and it isn't effecting her during the day. I have only been giving 1 10mg of pepcid a day, sometimes two depending if her belly is making noises but that is not frequent anymore. I don't know what more to do...we have had stool samples done, blood work, xrays, antibiotics, probiotics, prescription food, changes feedingtimes, etc. It is great that the vomitting stopped but something is still not right....I think the vet thinks I am cracked. My DH sleeps through anything so it is usually me that is up all hours of the night petting her.

Old 26th April 2010, 06:46 PM
Super Boxer

oops...I forgot... I thought tooth issues too, the vet looked and they all appear healthy. I also brush her teeth and she shows no signs of pain and her eating has not slowed down at all. I am lost!

Old 26th April 2010, 08:17 PM
Boxer Insane

When are you dosing the Pepcid?
My girl had MCT's and thyroid issues among other things.
Stomach issues were a constant battle. We dosed Pepcid twice a day. One hour before breakfast and dinner.
Also gave treats all day long, every day to keep something in her tummy. Probably TOO many treats but she was cute and irresistible!
She was on this plan of action for many years. A huge difference could be seen if a Pepcid was forgotten or if she didn't have as many treats during the day (and night).
I'd still broach the subject with your vet and try to maintain something long term (couple of months) to see if you notice a change for the better. Sometimes we don't give things long enough to work and give up before seeing full benefits.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cami For This Useful Post:
Lisa H (26th April 2010)

Old 26th April 2010, 08:47 PM
Super Boxer

Thanks for the input. I have been giving her pepcid about an hour before dinner and sometimes at night. I have never given it to her any earlier because she only seems to get sick at night. Maybe I should try one in the am instead of late PM. I have been giving her extra treats also...it must be working somewhat because her vomitting has been more sporadic lately..it is just the smaking and tummy noises that I am still worrying about. I think I am worrying a little more this week because we leave for vacation on Thurs. She will stay with my parents who she visits daily now and spends the night often. I really know it will upset my parents if she gets sick so maybe i will call the vet and see if there are any temp things I can do to ease the situation for all that are involved. Meds and/or food wise. I guess I was just hoping it was dry mouth I kinda knew it wasn't but I was hoping! Thanks again

Lisa and Justice