Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2010, 02:54 PM
Boxer Booster

Problems with back leg and neurological issues

We were at the emergency vet yesterday and to our regular vet today and we're at a loss... Mayhem is experiencing lameness in her back end and neurological problems. At the emergency vet yesterday all her neurological reflexes were fine, they took XRays of her back and hips and they looked great. Last night she wasn't putting any weight on her left rear leg, she would start spacing out and then would lean to the right and fall over. At another point she was standing and turning to the side and then she just kept bobbing her head over and over again. It was so heartbreaking to watch. She pooped in the house while she was just standing up leaning against the sofa and then pooped in the house again later in the day, she NEVER does that, she also peed herself without even getting up (today she hasn't had any accidents in the house). She just seems so confused and disorientated... She seemed good today besides a limp, but starting about an hour ago she started doing the staggering and falling down thing again. She'll start losing her balance and then just start making the same repetitive motions over and over again, but the weird thing though is that when we call her she comes right out of it and comes limping over to us. They are doing a complete blood workup but if that shows nothing they are at a loss for where to go, except possibly a MRI of the head. Her heart rate is fine, her gum color is great, she doesn't have a fever, her eyes are clear and alert, all of her vital are totally stable, until yesterday she was eatting fine, she's still be eatting small meals, so she's getting something, but not her normal amount. Her poops are solid. We're at a loss. Anyone ever see anything similar?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Aside from all of that I threw a nutty on the emergency vet yesterday, when we were leaving and I was looking at her chart and saw they used Ace on her so they could do the XRays. I was PISSED when I saw that they used it on her. I ended up writing the vet as well as the animal hospital a long letter and attaching articles about the use of Ace in Boxers, because even when I was talking to him (well angrily shouting at him) he kept insisting it was fine. I ended up looking at him and saying "We're not going to agree on this, go get us our dog and we are getting the hell out of here". I'm kicking myself for not saying anything when I knew they were going to sedate her, but it wasn't the first thing on my mind when we were at the ER...
Chaos- born 06/29/12 brought home 09/14/12
Sponsored Links

Old 19th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

oh my goodness, I am so sorry for all that you are going through! Your poor baby, and poor you. It's so hard when you don't know. You are completely forgiven in my book for going off on the vet about the Ace...I absolutely would have done the same thing. Sending you our thoughts and healing vibes and wishing you the best.
Heidi - boxer/lab mix female 2/94 - 4/07 (miss her!)

Old 20th April 2010, 07:08 AM
Boxer Insane

Thumbs up

I am sorry to read this post.
I hope Mayhem is better soon-
Mary, Sally & Sam

Old 20th April 2010, 07:25 AM
Boxer Booster

I am so sorry you are going through this. My daughters 18 month old Boxer is experiencing lameness and the vet can't figure out why. They are finally taking a Lyme test. Lyme can lead to all sorts of symptoms. Hope your baby is better soon.
Lynne & Bella
Bella, Reverse Brindle Female 8/10/05

Old 20th April 2010, 08:41 AM
Boxer Insane

I wish I had some answers for you. I know it's tough when you don't know what to do. I hope the bloodwork gives you something to go on and it is something that can be fixed or regulated with some meds. Our thought and prayers are with you.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 20th April 2010, 10:55 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. She seems to be better during the days, and worse at night for whatever reason. We do not think it is lyme as she was just tested a month and a half ago at her annual checkup, and she does not have a fever, our vet didn't think it was worth it to test again, but if we hit a brick wall with this then we probably will. She also has the vaccine but I know that is only like 80% effective. I was able to catch an episode on video last night so next time we are at the vet I'll actually be able to show him what is happening because when we were in yesterday she was fine neurologically, but still experiencing problems with her rear leg, which they can not explain.

On a good note the emergency clinic got my letter already (yea for the USPS!!) and the owner called me up and said they were taking this seriously and were going to be sending out a memo to all the vets who work at the clinic about not using Ace in Boxers. So that was a small victory in this whole thing.

I'm anxiously awaiting the blood results now...

Old 20th April 2010, 11:29 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimony1019 View Post

On a good note the emergency clinic got my letter already (yea for the USPS!!) and the owner called me up and said they were taking this seriously and were going to be sending out a memo to all the vets who work at the clinic about not using Ace in Boxers. So that was a small victory in this whole thing.

I'm anxiously awaiting the blood results now...
And people think that one person can't make a difference! KUDOS!!!!

And I certainly hope your vet figures out what the problem is once he sees the video. Lily and Buster both hide symptoms when at the vet.....I will keep my iFlip handy next time.

Sending out the healing vibes!

Old 20th April 2010, 01:27 PM
Boxer Booster

Well we may have a direction to go in treating her. She came back hypothyroid, and it seems that 2-4% of dogs that are hypothyroid can exhibit neurological problems and the way they were describing them it seems very similar to what has been going on with Mayhem. So we are going to start her on meds and give her a week or so to see if there is any improvement. Obviously if she gets worse we'll be bringing her in, but it seems like this might give us some hope in the direction of her treatment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 20th April 2010, 07:43 PM
Boxer Insane

I'm glad you've got a direction to go in. Thor is hypothyroid as well, tho' his symptoms were never as bad as Mayhem's. He would get focal (head bobbing) seizures. Since he has been on meds since Aug, he's only had 2 or 3 and they have been much shorter. We're sending healthy ((vibes)) your way!

Old 12th May 2010, 03:54 PM
Boxer Booster

I wish I had a better update... It seems like Mayhem has a brain tumor. I am at an absolute loss and have been crying off and on all afternoon. I always had brain tumor as a diagnosis in the back of my head but refused to let myself do any research on it because I just didn't want to go there, but after coming home from the neurologist today and looking it up, she fits almost all of the symptoms...

We originally were going to do an MRI tomorrow morning, but after doing research when we came home I think we are just going to make her comfortable with meds and she'll let us know when the time comes. I was finding that most dogs when treated with radiation or surgery have a max lifespan of about a year, and I just can't see putting her through all of that... So I think we are just going to treat her as though she has a brain tumor and make the rest of her time with us as comfortable as we can. I'm at such a loss, she is such a great dog I hate that she has to go through all of this... I'm so sad...

Old 12th May 2010, 04:55 PM
Boxer Booster

I understand...

Just want to say I understand what your going thru. Hugs to you & Mayhem. My dog was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. I certainly have been shedding an ocean of tears myself. It is really hard to see our beloved pets not feeling themselves and showing the symptoms.

We will take the best care of our pets that we can and love them. Nothing can take away the wonderful years that we have had with them. I'm really sorry that you are going thru this as I know it is heartbreaking. Just know you have many support friends here that understand only too well what your feeling.

I'm on this journey with you,

Terri

Old 12th May 2010, 05:12 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimony1019 View Post
I wish I had a better update... It seems like Mayhem has a brain tumor. I am at an absolute loss and have been crying off and on all afternoon. I always had brain tumor as a diagnosis in the back of my head but refused to let myself do any research on it because I just didn't want to go there, but after coming home from the neurologist today and looking it up, she fits almost all of the symptoms...

We originally were going to do an MRI tomorrow morning, but after doing research when we came home I think we are just going to make her comfortable with meds and she'll let us know when the time comes. I was finding that most dogs when treated with radiation or surgery have a max lifespan of about a year, and I just can't see putting her through all of that... So I think we are just going to treat her as though she has a brain tumor and make the rest of her time with us as comfortable as we can. I'm at such a loss, she is such a great dog I hate that she has to go through all of this... I'm so sad...
I'm so sorry that you didn't get a better diagnosis for her. My thoughts are with you and your family, I hope you enjoy the rest of the time you have with her.