Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 9th April 2010, 05:22 PM
Boxer Pal
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 18
My dog pulled his stitches out....

My 8 year old boy had a tumor removed from his back leg right near the knee. The surgery was done monday. The cut was pretty long (4"). Since it's been a few days and we are both home, we decided to take the cone off while we were with him. I kept my eye on him and he seemed to really not have any interest in licking it. I caught him twice start to then he stopped. Well the little brat must have been setting me up because he managed to pull out about half his stitches! BUT, it is still closed and there is no blood or anything. It looks like it did before he pulled them out. By now the vet is closed anyways. Is it ok to leave it till I take him next Wednesday to get the rest pulled out? Of course as long as he don't lick it and make it worse or open up. If that happens I'll take him back. But if it stays dry and closed with no infections, is it ok to wait? Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links

Old 10th April 2010, 07:13 AM
Jan's Avatar
Jan Jan is offline
Reasonable Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Lakeland, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 10,791
As long as it stays closed it should be fine.
Allie, Fawn 04/28/13
Dante, Brindle 3/18/10 - Adopted 5/13/13
At the Bridge, Markus, Terramoto and Tara(IWS)

Old 10th April 2010, 10:33 PM
MonaC's Avatar
Boxer Booster
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA - Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 293
You can go to the drug store and buy steri-strips in the first aid section. They are used to keep cuts closed that don't really need stitches. You can put them where the stitches were. They stick like band-aids and should stick where his leg has been shaved.
Mo - Mom to Delilah, CGC (flashy fawn, floppy and docked), and the kitties, Cosmic Charlie (RIP Charlie 3-17-09) and Crystal, rescue kitty, with me since 2/08

Last edited by MonaC; 10th April 2010 at 10:34 PM.

Old 11th April 2010, 12:48 AM
BxrMommieNAZ's Avatar
Boxer Insane
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 4,144
I would still call the vet Monday and ask what they would like you to do. They may move your appointment up if they are concerned.
Tyson, white, 4 years, Boxer & Thor, 2 year old GSD
Tiger and Raven, kitties, 10 and 11 years
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 12th April 2010, 12:35 PM
Boxer Pal
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 18
Thanks for the replies. Well I was always going to call the vet just to make sure today. I checked it this morning and looked good still. I noticed he pulled out more then I thought, but still looked good. Five minutes later i called the vet. She said it was fine if it's closed and no reason to come back. As she was saying that, he walked over to me and I saw a red spot on it. It split open in one spot about the size of my finger nail. I had to take him back right away. They said it's healed and the rest looks strong enough to hold, so they gave me a medicine to help speed up the healing of the open wound. And it may open some more, but if it opens all the way he needs surgery again. She said it will heal from the inside out. BUT, now with that he has a collar like before, plus a thing that looks like a neck brace. He is really really upset now. I asked if they wanted me to put gauze on it to cover it. The vet said she rather have it open to let it breath. What a setback!! I think the younger one tried to get him to play and opened it up. I stopped her but guess not in time. Back to square one!!

Old 12th April 2010, 03:16 PM
Gatorblu's Avatar
Boxer Insane
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA, Orange City, FL
Posts: 5,858
Thor had a mct removed last year. He had the disolving type of stitches and since his wound was so deep, it oozed more then normal. His stitches opened back up. Took him back to the vet and they restitched him, the non disolving kind the 2nd time. He was fine in the end. Hope you baby recovers quickly!
Pam, Mom to Arabella-female brindle 12/19/06
My Angel Babies at the Bridge
Star-female fawn 05/13/98-11/22/08
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 13th April 2010, 01:23 PM
Boxer Booster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: united states, md
Posts: 92
My dog Buddy recently had a MCT removed from his rear leg 3 weeks ago and although he didn't rip them out he did damage them chasing a rabbit. Had him restitched and they tore again. I've had to change his bandage myself every 3 - 4 days. Buddy wasn't bothering it and I had one of the 'comfy cones' on him when I wasn't there just in case but after 10 days I guess he got bored and figured a way around it. I came home and the bandage was off but the comfy cone was still on. I guess he ate some of the antibiotic ointment cause he threw up pretty bad on the floor. Put him in one of the plastic cones and so far no problems.

Old 14th April 2010, 12:40 PM
Dannimarie's Avatar
Boxer Buddy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA, Minnesota
Posts: 56
Same thing happened to Zeke....except his opened so badly after being restapled that they were not able to reclose the skin. It was a good 2 inches across and open all the way to the ligament.

We did once a day bandage changes at home, started him on antibiotics and it is healing. It is about 1/4 of the size now and looks like a small burn or raw area that is trying to scab, but it's been about 6 weeks! So if it does reopen, you can just let it heal without having to do another surgery.

I would definitely reccomend the steri-strips though from walgreens, if part of it tears open, more is likely to tear as well and the steri strips will help with that.
Zeke - docked and floppy 1/22/09

Old 15th April 2010, 08:02 AM
Boxer Pal
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA, New Jersey
Posts: 18
I haven't been able to write on here till now, but the vet and I decided to get it stitched back up on Tuesday. It opened up about the size of a quarter. The rest of the original incision looked like it would hold, but who knows if it will. We are having someone watch him for a day and I was worried if something happened with the open wound, we wouldn't be there to help. So or vet is the best. Even though in the long run it was our fault for him taking out some of his original stitches, she did the surgery for free and we just paid for the meds. I'm locking the collar on him with a chain and bolts if I have to for ten days!!!