Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2010, 10:41 PM
Boxer Pal

Coughing/ gagging when excited?

Wicket has started coughing and gagging when he gets excited. He doesnt do it all the time, but it seems like he is doing it when he gets excited. Otherwise he seem to be breathing fine. Anybody ever had this happen? He is getting altered on tuesday, should I take him to a vet before then?
Sponsored Links

Old 8th March 2010, 06:59 AM
Boxer Booster

We have a new pup and she was doing something similar, but not just when she was excited...she actually had an upper respiratory thing. I am not saying that your dog does, when I took her to the vet for it the vet said it is totally normal for her to do some reverse sneezing etc. when she is excited, but you need to watch to see if they are coughing, sneezing etc. when they are not in play. Sounds like your dog is just doing it in play.

I also noticed my girl doing it more when we came in from outside because she goes out and eats leaves etc. when she is supposed to be pottying I think she gets little peices in her throat, after a drink of water she seemed fine.

Old 8th March 2010, 08:56 AM
Boxer Insane

This happens to Lily too. It started as a puppy and progressively got worse. The vet suggested getting on a halter and keeping anything off her neck. It was a little too late, as she has trachial damage now from collar pulling. It will erupt when she is super excited or barking a lot due to excitement. I get her to calm down and lightly massage the underside of her throat to loosen those muscles. They seem to tighten up around the trachia when in full use.

I would ask the vet, hopefully it's not something serious. IMO, if you are on a collar, switch to a harness for now on. Short nosed breeds have more delicate throats and shouldn't put stress on that area.

Old 8th March 2010, 09:55 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILYLARUE View Post
This happens to Lily too. It started as a puppy and progressively got worse. The vet suggested getting on a halter and keeping anything off her neck. It was a little too late, as she has trachial damage now from collar pulling. It will erupt when she is super excited or barking a lot due to excitement.
Yipes!! Poor Lily! Is that purely from her pulling with a collar on, or did she already have some condition that caused her coughing/gagging?
Photo Album

Old 8th March 2010, 12:25 PM
Boxer Insane

The vet says she may have had a thin wall of the trachia at birth and can cause this problem. Shows problems also In pugs, bulldogs, puggles, frenchies, bostons, smaller short-nosed breeds, etc. Mastiffs can get it if they have the thinning of the trachia, but the muscles in that mass of a dog helps to "cushion" the potential and often signs are not expressed.

Lily was quite a puller in the beginning.....so the damage was done before she was diagnosed. There is an official term, but I can't remember what it is.......trachial bruise and trachial strain is what I call it in layman's terms. LOL I never remember those techie terms.

This condition is also confused with kennel cough and reversed sneezing. So always best to have it checked to rule these out.

Old 8th March 2010, 05:29 PM
Boxer Insane

I would definitely mention this to the vet before surgery. If it is an infection you won't want to do the surgery. There are several things it could be and a surgery could add stress to a body. I would have the vet check it out before hand.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 11th March 2010, 06:44 PM
Boxer Buddy

Tucker recently started doing this... It's like a snorting sound when he's running and playing...He to was a strong puller when he was a pup...maybe something I ask the vet when I take him for his rabies shot...