Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 15th February 2010, 10:07 AM
Boxer Pal

Thumbs down dew claws

well my female boxer that we just got had her tail docked and her dew claws removed by the breeder i noticed that her dew claw on her right foot the nail is growing back should i talk to my vet and get it surgicly removed cause the left one and the ones on my male boxer i touch it and i cant feel the bone and on the female were its growning the nail i can feel the bone. Any one that went threw this with thier puppy please reply
Sponsored Links

Old 15th February 2010, 10:14 AM
Boxer Insane

You absolutely need to speak with your vet and then also speak with the breeder. If they're removed they should not be growing back.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 15th February 2010, 10:31 AM
Boxer Pal

yea i just talked to the breeder he gonna talk to the vet that removed them and also i set up an appiontment for her to have it looked at by my vet i really dont want her to have surgery but i gotta do whats best for her

Old 15th February 2010, 05:57 PM
Reasonable Moderator

I would wait before having surgery and see if it causes a problem. A lot of breeds have dew claws and they don't cause any problems. I would certainly wait until she is spayed to have it done.

Old 15th February 2010, 07:51 PM
Super Boxer

oops

Goodness I havent heard of that I would be really careful I would talk to the vet about what is going on with it you want to make sure nothing is bugging her. You do need to be careful with boxers and dew claws I work with the rescue and we get boxers sometimes who the breeder didnt remove the dew claws and they have snagged and ripped off before causing all sort of problems so I just guess it would depend on how much it has grown back and how much it is sticking out ect.. I also agree that I would want my dog to have as little stress as possible so would wait and have it done when you take her in to get spayed. I would not be too mad at the breeder as they took her in to get it done and it seems like their vet did not do a good job or something so I would be more wanting to talk to their vet or have the breeder talk to their vet.

Old 15th February 2010, 08:24 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I would wait before having surgery and see if it causes a problem. A lot of breeds have dew claws and they don't cause any problems. I would certainly wait until she is spayed to have it done.

I agree. I will say I got my girl from rescue over 4 years ago and she has her dews and we've never had a problem with them. I make sure to keep them trimmed like the rest of her nails, but we've had her a little over 4 years without issue and given where she came from I doubt she's ever had an issue or we'd still see remnants of that (and yes she's a Boxer). I have no plans to have them removed given her age.

Old 16th February 2010, 09:44 AM
Boxer Booster

We had the same exact thing happen with Cash and we waited it out until he was neutered. They required him to stay overnight because of the dew claw removal (not the neuter) since he acted like nothing had happened when he woke up, and they were afraid he would open up the sutures for the dew claw. They had it wrapped up, and told us to keep the wrap on until Monday at the earliest. Upon arriving home, Cash immediately went to gnawing on the bandage wrap. To countermeasure, I put a sock on him - dress socks work best. It was a pain to keep on him (used hair bands to hold up), but it helped keep him from chewing it off. When I came home that following Monday, he had managed to do some damage to the bandage while in his crate since I didn't want to keep the sock on him while he was in it because he would more than likely eat it, lol. My genius self had bought more wrap at Walmart and thought I would be able to re-dress it by myself. WRONG!! Here's a tip: do NOT use an alcohol wipe to sterilize the wound if you do not have anyone to help you hold down the dog! When I got done re-dressing the wound, it looked like a 5 year old had done it because Cash wouldn't stop wiggling.
~cat - Dinah **RIP Jinx 3/02 - 9/10**

Old 16th February 2010, 01:06 PM
Super Boxer

My mom's boxer Roxy had a dew claw that was not removed properly. It continued to grow and it did bother her a little bit, but for the most part, Roxy just went a little more careful of that leg. The dewclaw was removed when she was spayed. It got infected but that was because she could use that leg normally now and took every chance she could get at getting the dressing dirty and wet (she's a tomboy, lol), and it didn't matter how ofter the dressing was changed, she still got it dirty and/or wet. After a week of antibiotics she was fine and hasn't had any more problems.