Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 29th January 2010, 11:30 AM
Boxer Booster

Neutering - overnight stay?

My husband called the vet to inquire about neutering Jake and was told that they would want us to drop him off one morning and then pick him up the next day.

Is an overnight stay at the vet typical for a neutering? I'm thinking that after surgery Jake will just be stuck in a crate in a dark office (and left alone), so I fail to see the point and think he would be happier at home. He's my baby so this idea does not appeal to be at all!

Old 29th January 2010, 11:43 AM
Super Boxer

I've never kept any of mine overnight for spay or neuter surgery.

Old 29th January 2010, 11:45 AM
Boxer Insane

My vet keeps females overnight after spaying, but males he just keeps for the day.

Old 29th January 2010, 11:50 AM
Boxer Booster

When Cash had his neutering, the vet required him to stay overnight as well. They said it was mainly as a safety precaution, so that he would not open his wounds since he came out of the surgery acting like nothing had happened It was one of the longest nights for us - all I could think about was him sitting in a crate at the vet wondering why we had left him there with no people to entertain him. We went to bed early that night (we had planned on having a fun "free of the kid" night but were too worried about him) and got up early to go get him the next morning. He did nothing but mope once we got him home, but I think it was because he was starting to feel the effects of the surgery. He bounced back very quickly though!
~cat - Dinah **RIP Jinx 3/02 - 9/10**

Old 29th January 2010, 11:51 AM
Elusive Moderator

No, it isn't really normal - most neuters are sent home the same day. A straightforward neuter is really a fairly minor surgery, so it is really just the after effects of anasthetic that needs to wear off a bit before he can come home (and that doesn't take all night).

I would suggest that you ask your vet why he wants to keep the dog overnight. And - importantly - if there is going to be a person there with him all night long to observe. If there isn't (and there usually isn't!) then the dog can be better observed at home.

Old 29th January 2010, 11:55 AM
Boxer Buddy

Our dog was recently neutered, well a more invasive surgery because his testicles never dropped, and he stayed over night.

Our vet said that usually after a "normal" neutering, they let them go home, unless the dog isn't recovering quickly or whatever. He also said in houses with multiple dogs, they sometimes like to keep them overnight because it's harder to keep a recovering dog calm with other dogs around (especially high energy dogs).

Old 29th January 2010, 01:38 PM
Super Boxer

Darwin was also a cryptorchid (undescended testicles) so his surgery was more like a spay than a normal neuter. Nevertheless he came home with us at the end of the day. He looked pretty pathetic that first night. The vet techs said he stood all day long. And when we got home he continued to stand until about midnight even though he was obviously very tired. I can only guess he was in some pain. It was distressing but the next day he was fine.

-Karlyn

Old 29th January 2010, 08:43 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinsmom View Post
Darwin was also a cryptorchid (undescended testicles) so his surgery was more like a spay than a normal neuter. Nevertheless he came home with us at the end of the day.
Yep ditto this. My boy was also with an undescended testicle, he had 3 incisions and he came home after a couple of hours and was just fine.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 1st February 2010, 08:02 AM
Boxer Booster

Apparently this vet keeps them overnight as standard procedure. He seems to be very good; lots of good recommendations. I think I'm just being a baby about it. Honestly one night away from us is not going to hurt either one of us, right?

Anyway, surgery is scheduled for Friday and I'm betting Jake will be really confused as to why he can't have breakfast that morning!

Old 1st February 2010, 09:34 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

When I had my first Boxer neutered, the clinic's standard procedure was to keep the dog for the night. My vet quite willingly let me sign a waiver to bring him home the same day. I have no regrets. All he did was sleep off the anesthetic and was back to his Boxer antics the next morning. If you don't feel comfortable leaving your dog for the night and he's undergoing a standard neuter, I would inquire about bringing him home the same day. I just couldn't justify paying more money to have the clinic keep my boy for the night when there wasn't going to be anyone there to watch him. Knowing that he would just sleep off the effects of surgery, what difference would it have made if he slept at the clinic in a crate, or in the comfort of his own home? Best of luck with the surgery on Friday. We'll be thinking about you all.

A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such. -- John Holmes

Last edited by sriley; 1st February 2010 at 09:36 AM.

Old 1st February 2010, 11:29 AM
Boxer Insane

We have a vet here that requires an overnight stay but the overnight is the night before the surgery and they come home the day of surgery. They say they do this to ensure that the animal has had nothing to eat before surgery. I'm not sure if they have had an incident before regarding to eating before surgery or what their reasoning is.

Are you sure that isn't the case in your situation? I don't feel that keeping a dog overnight is necessary, especially when in most cases there isn't anyone there to watch them.

Good luck on Friday.
Dozer (rescued 9/6/07) - Fawn docked and floppy

Old 1st February 2010, 02:37 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesquite View Post
Apparently this vet keeps them overnight as standard procedure. He seems to be very good; lots of good recommendations. I think I'm just being a baby about it. Honestly one night away from us is not going to hurt either one of us, right?
LOTS of vets keep their spay/neuter patients overnight as standard procedure, but very FEW vets are staffed 'round the clock to keep an eye on those animals. One night away isn't going to hurt him -- but it is risky in the sense that if ANYTHING should happen to him during the night, no one will know about it until the next day... and by then it could be too late. What if he reacts negatively to his pain medication or to the sedative? What if he manages to get his e-collar off and chews on the incision? What if something went wrong with the surgery that the vets didn't catch, and then he's left alone all night? Etc, etc. Even when Creek had surgery recently to remove 2 bumps -- which left her with 18 staples in her neck and 5 in her chest -- she came home the same day. I wouldn't ever leave a dog overnight post-surgery unless it was at a 24-hr facility where they would be constantly monitored.
Photo Album