Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2010, 01:18 AM
Boxer Buddy

Weird growth/bump on rear leg?

So my dog got a little bump on the inside of her rear right leg two weeks ago that looked kind of like a raised scab. It has doubled in size in the past two weeks and is now red and round with what looks like a little horn or scab in the middle. My first thought was hystiocytoma, but it doesn't really look like photos I've seen of one. I'm going to the vet to have it biopsied next week but any thoughts in the mean time? I'm hoping it is just some random growth and not a mast cell tumor.

Has anyone seen a red blister looking bump on their dog with a rough spike of scabby skin in the middle?
Sponsored Links

Old 20th January 2010, 07:59 AM
Boxer Insane

Here is a link to a post about my girl and her mysterious black "thing".
There is also a picture of it when it was at its worst. It has self resolved on its own but the oncologist looked at it and had no clue what it was. Better to be safe than sorry and have it checked out!

Now what???

Old 20th January 2010, 09:43 AM
Boxer Pal

My previous dog had something similar on her ear. Vet was not concerned, just said to watch it and if it grew we'd have to look further. Less than a few weeks later it was pretty much doubled in size. We had to have it removed and biopsied. Biopsy was benign, nothing to worry about. The only thing we noticed, that due to the fact there is so little skin in that area, closing the wound properly at the end was difficult. It healed very well, but the ear remained a little "bent". On a leg, you would not need to worry about that. It never seemed to bother her before or after surgery.

It's good to have it checked out, just to be safe. Good luck!!

Andrea

Old 20th January 2010, 09:54 AM
Boxer Insane

How old is she? My first thought would be a histiocytoma, but really could be anything... sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear Without seeing a picture, that's about as good as I can do. Caney had a histiocytoma this past fall and it grew very quickly (from the first sign of it to it's largest size within a week) and so I took her in to the vet to have it checked. I was very relieved to hear the vet say it was a benign histiocytoma and would resolve on its own most likely. Sure enough it slowly began to shrink in size after that and took about 2 months to disappear completely.
Caney has a bump on her eye (pics)

Hope it's nothing serious. Keep us updated
Photo Album

Old 21st January 2010, 06:43 PM
Super Boxer

Anything that doubled in size that fast is worth checking out, especially if you have an older Boxer. Found a lump on mine that went from undetectable to the size of a ping pong ball in 4-6 weeks, turned out to be cancer. Not to scare you, Hugo also has plenty of little bumps that are nothing at all.

We had a histiocytoma removed from our BT's leg, their mostly benign. I found this great web page when I was trying to figure out Hugo's lump. Hope it helps a little!

Causes of Solid-Appearing Lumps & Bumps on the Skin of Dogs

*mommy of Hugo- 10 1/2 year old fawn male Boxer of the Millenium!

Old 22nd January 2010, 01:04 AM
Boxer Buddy

Thanks for those links... She is just under two years old, so not old, but she does have a lot of issues including a hyper-immune system which is why every time something happens I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's just such a strange looking growth I can't figure it out. Vet appt. is next week to check it out. I took some photos but I'm not sure how to post them?

Old 22nd January 2010, 01:15 AM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
Here is a link to a post about my girl and her mysterious black "thing".
There is also a picture of it when it was at its worst. It has self resolved on its own but the oncologist looked at it and had no clue what it was. Better to be safe than sorry and have it checked out!

Now what???
I just looked at your photo. Her growth looks ALMOST identical to this, but the scaly stuff in the middle isn't black it's lighter.

Old 22nd January 2010, 10:15 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugomom1 View Post
We had a histiocytoma removed from our BT's leg, their mostly benign. I found this great web page when I was trying to figure out Hugo's lump. Hope it helps a little!

Causes of Solid-Appearing Lumps & Bumps on the Skin of Dogs
Thanks for this link! Definitely helpful.

Tiga, about uploading pictures, I had trouble to so I joined Flickr, and posted the link. There's also photobucket, and several other free sites. You too may find that easier. Sending ((healthy vibes)) to your pup!
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 30th January 2010, 04:42 PM
Boxer Buddy

Update

I think the bump was a cutaneous papiloma.
It ended up falling off before I could ever even get to the vet, and by the time we got there it was just a little red bump underneath where the main part fell off. So, false alarm, it cleared up on it's own pretty quick. I'm still having them take another look at the spot this week, but I'm glad it seems like nothing now.