Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
  #1  
Old 30th September 2009, 03:47 PM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Still limping after ACL surgery in June

Ms. Ali is still limping after having her knee surgery done back in June. I know it's major surgery but some days she great. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an anti-inflamatory. I think she overdoes it and then her knee gets inflamed. I just want my baby all better again. Any help would be appreciated big time. Thanks a bunch.
__________________
(Mom to Ali, flashy fawn boxer 2004-03-15); Bailey male mini-poodle 2002-04-09 (Nanny to Abby-shep/lab mix rescue- blind -2005)
Mr. Sook - Sept 20, 1993- Oct 4/08
Waiting at the bridge RIP sweetie
Sponsored Links

 
  #2  
Old 30th September 2009, 05:41 PM
EAO76's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA, California
Posts: 2,497
Metacam worked great for us. What does your vet suggest?
__________________
Elaine, Mom to Nano & Rosco, + Trucker & Fluffy - both waiting at the bridge
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1.../fourkids3.jpg

 
  #3  
Old 1st October 2009, 08:09 AM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAO76 View Post
Metacam worked great for us. What does your vet suggest?
Thanks. She was on Dermamaxx. I found that good. I thought there might be something holistic that I could try. Metacam is a prescription right!! How long did you have her on it? I think Ms. Ali should be on something for awhile yet but the vet didn't encourage putting her back on Dermamaxx. The surgeon who did her surgery was out of town and the vet that was filling it was the one who implied that to me. I think maybe it's a trip back to my old vet. I'll mention Metacam to him.

Last edited by Murp.mm; 1st October 2009 at 08:12 AM.

 
  #4  
Old 2nd October 2009, 08:53 AM
tasham's Avatar
Boxer Booster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, Utah
Posts: 193
Baxter has had both his ACLs torn and TPLO on both of them. His last ACL surgery was over 18 months ago. He still limps a little bit on that leg. I think he always will. We don't have him on anti-inflammatories on a regular basis. I just don't like what they can do to their bodies. I agree, however, that Metacam is the better one to use. It's nice to have it on hand for days when Baxter looks like he might actually be in pain (which is rare). I'd definitely ask about it. I hope your baby gets back to normal soon!
__________________
Proud Mom to: Cyrus, flashy brindle, male, 07/30/07, Charlie, black mask brindle, male 06/13/09
Baxter, flashy fawn, male, 10/31/98-07/20/11, my angel boy, waiting for me at the bridge.

 
  #5  
Old 2nd October 2009, 05:26 PM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasham View Post
Baxter has had both his ACLs torn and TPLO on both of them. His last ACL surgery was over 18 months ago. He still limps a little bit on that leg. I think he always will. We don't have him on anti-inflammatories on a regular basis. I just don't like what they can do to their bodies. I agree, however, that Metacam is the better one to use. It's nice to have it on hand for days when Baxter looks like he might actually be in pain (which is rare). I'd definitely ask about it. I hope your baby gets back to normal soon!
Thanks a bunch. I feel more comfortable about it all now knowing that after 18 months your baby still limps a bit and I think that Ms. Ali's knee will always cause her to limp a bit too and I also agree it's nice to have anti-inflamatories on hand for the days when you know they might be in pain. I also just started her on Glusomomine HCL as sulfate apparently stays in their system. Once again thanks for your help.

 
  #6  
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:45 AM
Hunnys Folks's Avatar
Boxer Buddy
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 35
I sure hope she gets feeling better soon , I know when even though hunny never had to have surgery and is all better she still will favour it if she over does it . I think it will always be a bit of a weak spot.

 
  #7  
Old 4th October 2009, 11:06 AM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnys Folks View Post
I sure hope she gets feeling better soon , I know when even though hunny never had to have surgery and is all better she still will favour it if she over does it . I think it will always be a bit of a weak spot.
Glad to hear that Hunny is good and didn't need surgery. I had Ms. Ali out yesterday for a walk not near as long as she was used to but her leg is acting up again after the walk. But overall compared to before surgery she's doing better. She couldn't even put it down then. Now it's a limp and the occasional lifting. Hoping that gluclosomine is going to help. Maybe I'm too anxious. It's been a little over 3 months now. I agree that it will always be weaker than before surgery. Thanks and take care.

 
  #8  
Old 4th October 2009, 01:11 PM
Caney Creek's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, Georgia (Woodstock)
Posts: 3,355
Poor Ali I hope she gets better soon!

Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, so you could try giving her fish oil and vitamin E supplements daily to see if that helps. Are you giving her Chondroitin and MSM along with the Glucosamine?
Nutrition & Supplements
__________________
Zoë
Creek - Fawn Female, born 03/23/2001
Caney - White Female, born 03/27/2007
Photo Album

 
  #9  
Old 5th October 2009, 04:46 PM
zandz's Avatar
Super Boxer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA, Maryland
Posts: 307
My Newfie mix had knee surgery back in March, so almost 7 months ago. At 5 months she was almost back to full activity, but I'd say it's only been within the last month that she can do anything and be fine. She went through a rough period at about 3 months after the surgery where she got very sore on that leg and carried it at times. We backed way off with her exercise (doing only 5 or 10 minute walks for a couple of weeks) and then when I slowly started to increase her exercise again, she did fine. We completed a timed 3 mile walk exactly 6 months after her surgery and she did great.

She really never limps on it at all now, but I will say that I have to be consistent with her exercise. Last week the dogs didn't get out as much and then one day I took them out for a long walk, and she was slightly sore that night. Now that they have been going out on their normal daily walk, she is back to being totally fine on it.

She's not on any painkillers, but I do have her on Glyco-Flex III. Originally after the surgery the vet put her on Synovi, but I can get the Glyco for way cheaper and she takes less each day. I don't know if it makes a difference for her, but one of my other dogs has arthritis and it made a significant difference after about a month.

Now, my dog had the traditional repair, not a TPLO, so Ms. Ali's recovery may be different. My vet said that any really awful thing that could happen to the knee (like the surgery failing) would happen very early on, like in the first couple of weeks. He said that usually when the dog is limping several weeks after the surgery, they just need to rest more.

I hope she improves! I know how frustrating it is!
__________________
Zack: 7 yr old fawn boxer
Zoey: 7 yr old rottweiler/husky
Madison: 4 yr old black lab/newfie
Eli: 10 yr old beagle/basset

 
  #10  
Old 8th October 2009, 04:15 PM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandz View Post
My Newfie mix had knee surgery back in March, so almost 7 months ago. At 5 months she was almost back to full activity, but I'd say it's only been within the last month that she can do anything and be fine. She went through a rough period at about 3 months after the surgery where she got very sore on that leg and carried it at times. We backed way off with her exercise (doing only 5 or 10 minute walks for a couple of weeks) and then when I slowly started to increase her exercise again, she did fine. We completed a timed 3 mile walk exactly 6 months after her surgery and she did great.

She really never limps on it at all now, but I will say that I have to be consistent with her exercise. Last week the dogs didn't get out as much and then one day I took them out for a long walk, and she was slightly sore that night. Now that they have been going out on their normal daily walk, she is back to being totally fine on it.

She's not on any painkillers, but I do have her on Glyco-Flex III. Originally after the surgery the vet put her on Synovi, but I can get the Glyco for way cheaper and she takes less each day. I don't know if it makes a difference for her, but one of my other dogs has arthritis and it made a significant difference after about a month.

Now, my dog had the traditional repair, not a TPLO, so Ms. Ali's recovery may be different. My vet said that any really awful thing that could happen to the knee (like the surgery failing) would happen very early on, like in the first couple of weeks. He said that usually when the dog is limping several weeks after the surgery, they just need to rest more.

I hope she improves! I know how frustrating it is!


Oh thank you so much. It sounds pretty much like the way she's been. She was doing a bit better and then I think I did too much walking with her and she had a set back. So for now we've cut back on her exercise to half what see was doing (like what you did). She's improving again but if she goes any distance she's limping more again. At her two month checkup the vet said everything was good and she was doing good so I'm assuming she's over did it. I've put her on glucosomine HCL just last week so I'm sure that will help over time. Can you buy the glyco flex 111 over the counter or do you need a prescription. Could you pls post again and let me know. I'd appreciate it soooo much. Glad that you baby is doing well. Thanks for taking the time to post. I feel much better already knowing that you baby is doing fine now and had a few setback as well.

Last edited by Murp.mm; 8th October 2009 at 04:17 PM.

 
  #11  
Old 8th October 2009, 05:54 PM
Murp.mm's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caney Creek View Post
Poor Ali I hope she gets better soon!

Fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, so you could try giving her fish oil and vitamin E supplements daily to see if that helps. Are you giving her Chondroitin and MSM along with the Glucosamine?
Nutrition & Supplements
I've started her on fish & salmon oil. I didn't know about vitamin E though. Thanks for that tip. She's on glucosomine HCL. I couldn't find glucosomine with chondroitn and MSM without having sulfate and from what I understand sulfate stays in a dogs system. My pharamist told me that when I went to purchase it and he recommended glucosomine HCL. There is so much out there and sometimes it's bewildering as to know what's best. I'm sure though that a few years back I bought glucosomine chondroitin with sulfate at the vets office and the vet didn't say anything about sulfate so now I'm wondering about that. Thanks so much for your help. Do you give your dogs glucosomine with sulfate in it? Can you let me know pls. Thanks a bunch.

 
  #12  
Old 8th October 2009, 06:42 PM
zandz's Avatar
Super Boxer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA, Maryland
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murp.mm View Post
At her two month checkup the vet said everything was good and she was doing good so I'm assuming she's over did it. I've put her on glucosomine HCL just last week so I'm sure that will help over time. Can you buy the glyco flex 111 over the counter or do you need a prescription. Could you pls post again and let me know.
That's what my vet kept telling me--basically to stop freaking out, cut back on the exercise for a few weeks, and everything will be okay I think the hard thing is that it's so easy to be tempted to increase the walks again too soon, because the dog looks okay. I had to really make myself do a solid two weeks of strict rest and then build back up very slowly, almost just like what I did initially after the surgery. Another vet at the practice told me that they consider a small amount of soreness after heavy exercise to be normal. But I'm not sure if that's really from the surgery, or because so many of these dogs also have arthritis.

The glyco flex is not a prescription. Although since I last posted, I've noticed that one of my other dogs who has arthritis has looked noticeably more stiff since switching to the glyco from the synovi. The ingredients seem pretty similar, but apparently there is something different. I can get the synovi from my vet but it's not a prescription.

As to the glucosamine HCL vs. sulfate, I wondered about that also--I have a horse with lameness issues and a few years ago when I was deciding what to put her on, I read a lot of conflicting info about which was better. Honestly I was feeling the same way with just being overwhelmed about what was the best, and when my dog came home from her surgery, she was sent home with a bottle of the synovi, so that's what I started with. I almost think you just have to jump in and pick one, try it for a couple of months, and then switch if there's no improvement. I know from dealing with horses that for whatever reason, any given product will work for one horse and not for another. I guess that could be true with dogs as well.