Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 22nd August 2009, 09:55 AM
Boxer Pal

Sick Puppy!

Aries is almost 9 weeks old. Over the past 3 days he has had some really bad diarrhea. And a runny nose with a greenish yellow discharge. I tried giving his some white rice with his food but that didn't help. He is active and he eats and drinks normally. He also got his first round of shots when he turned 7 weeks old. He got the DH2PP, Bordetella, Roundworm Dewormer, and his Kennel Cough. I also am feeding him Natural Balance Original Ultra Small Bites because he is still so little. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links

Old 22nd August 2009, 01:55 PM
Boxer Insane

Your puppy needs a vet, not an internet forum. I'd suggest you make an appointment ASAP. Let us know how it goes.

Old 22nd August 2009, 03:56 PM
Boxer Pal

If I had the extra cash I would take him in a heart beat. Its going to be at least 2 weeks before I can get him in. I was looking for something that might help him in the mean time.

Old 22nd August 2009, 04:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Can you get him in now and arrange payments? Most vets will work with you if you don't have the cash on hand.
Roxy, 9 yr old brindle female, waiting at the bridge 4/10/00-4/10/09

Old 22nd August 2009, 06:48 PM
Boxer Pal

Its Saturday here so the earliest I could get him in is Monday. But I'm not to sure on the payment plan deal. Most vets around here are Jerks, and the ones that are good are packed. I'm talking it will take a month or more to get your dog in. I talked to the guy I got him from today and he thinks that he has a cold. Which is plausible, but the diarrhea worry's me. I gave him 1 cc of Children s Liquid Benadryl. Now I'm just gonna see how he does. He's sleeping right now, so hopefully he feels better when he wakes up.

Old 22nd August 2009, 06:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Get your puppy to the vet or at least call your vet and see what they recommend. Some do offer payment plans.

P.S. Puppies are expensive, might I suggest you start a savings account so the next time something like this pops up you are better prepared.

Old 22nd August 2009, 07:09 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehayes21 View Post
Get your puppy to the vet or at least call your vet and see what they recommend. Some do offer payment plans.

P.S. Puppies are expensive, might I suggest you start a savings account so the next time something like this pops up you are better prepared.
I know they are expensive. But I live in the economically deprived state of Michigan, so that's a little tough to do. I only work between 1 and 3 days a week and will be starting College again on Monday. I'm not looking for pity or a "Maybe you should of thought of that". Just stating my position at the moment.

Old 23rd August 2009, 02:39 AM
Boxer Insane

I agree with the others. There are also programs such as Care Credit which is an interest free (for 1 year) credit card that is for medical dental and vet expenses only so you can get treatment now and you have a year to pay the bill before you get hit with finances charges. There's also pet insurance (although there's a monthly fee for this), as well as someone else mentioned simply starting a savings account and putting away $30-$50 per month for emergenies.

You've also stated that your pup got the kennel cough vaccination and the bordatella vaccination...these are the same thing so I'm a bit confused. I also think that Bordatella isn't supposed to be given until 8 weeks of age. Also given that your pup sounds sick, I would hold off on any additional vaccinations until he/she is well. At this age puppy getting sick absolutely NEEDS to go to the vet, as unfortunately there are some puppy illnesses that could kill your puppy in 2 weeks time so it's very important that a pup that young goes to the vet especially given green snot and diarrhea, those can be serious symptoms, including a sign of an infection in which antibiotics could be needed.

Many times if you explain to the vet you need to treat conservatively due to financial reasons they will do their best to keep your bill low.

Good luck.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 23rd August 2009, 08:12 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZags View Post
Its Saturday here so the earliest I could get him in is Monday. But I'm not to sure on the payment plan deal. Most vets around here are Jerks, and the ones that are good are packed. I'm talking it will take a month or more to get your dog in. I talked to the guy I got him from today and he thinks that he has a cold. Which is plausible, but the diarrhea worry's me. I gave him 1 cc of Children s Liquid Benadryl. Now I'm just gonna see how he does. He's sleeping right now, so hopefully he feels better when he wakes up.
Did the vet tell you to give him the benedryl? If not, please don't self medicate your dog. I am glad to hear you have your pup an appt. As BMinAZ mentioned, there are illness that can kill your pup without immediate treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZags View Post
I know they are expensive. But I live in the economically deprived state of Michigan, so that's a little tough to do. I only work between 1 and 3 days a week and will be starting College again on Monday.
Then why on earth did you get a puppy???

Old 23rd August 2009, 10:36 PM
Boxer Pal

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehayes21 View Post
Did the vet tell you to give him the benedryl? If not, please don't self medicate your dog. I am glad to hear you have your pup an appt. As BMinAZ mentioned, there are illness that can kill your pup without immediate treatment.

""I'll self medicate him if I want to. This isn't my first dog and I have an idea of what I'm doing. I was just looking for a little extra help. I figured maybe there were some people on here who have had similar experiences. I thought maybe someone on here could possibly put my mind at ease a little. Maybe even tell me about a little home remedy to help settle his belly, not berate me.""

Then why on earth did you get a puppy???
""Well first and foremost because I wanted him. And secondly to get him out of a really bad situation. I knew I could give him a really good home. I've already spent a lot of money on him and this little cold/diarrhea thing he's got going on came during bill week, so what was I supposed to do, huh? I'm not made of money. If you can't offer any advice to help my puppy, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't post. This is getting way off topic.""

P.S. Not trying to be rude, just trying to get my point across.

Old 24th August 2009, 08:51 AM
Super Boxer

The advice is.. bring your puppy to the vet ASAP! That poor little pup must be miserable and it's sad to hear he has to go through this for the next two weeks. I also agree that that color discharge is a sign of infection which is only going to get worse without treatment. In some states is illegal to neglect medical treatment for a sick or hurt dog. You also say you'll "self medicate if you want to" because you know what you're doing but if you were a responsible pet owner you would have done what you needed to do to find a way to get your pup to see a vet so he doesn't have to suffer. I hope he ends up being alright and hopefully you'll do the right thing and find a way to get him to a vet sooner than two weeks from now. Also I don't think this is getting off topic in any way.. everyone is trying to stress how important it is for this little guy to see a vet. Not to metion if you do wait the two weeks and he happens to get much worse you could end up spending A LOT more money then you would have if you had taken him when the symptoms first showed.

Last edited by BoxerMoments; 24th August 2009 at 08:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoxerMoments For This Useful Post:
ehayes21 (24th August 2009)

Old 24th August 2009, 09:08 AM
Boxer Insane

Unfortunately life isn't about, or shouldn't be about, what a person wants, but what is best for everyone concerned, puppy first and foremost. If you cannot afford medical care for your puppy, then I would encourage you to find a home for him who can. He NEEDS to see a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL (not self medicating) sooner than 2 weeks, not to scare you, but if you don't, he very well may not make it 2 weeks depending upon what he has.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BxrMommieNAZ For This Useful Post:
BoxerMoments (25th August 2009), ehayes21 (24th August 2009)