Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
  #1  
Old 20th July 2009, 02:15 PM
sherryberry's Avatar
Boxer Buddy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 62
Home after Spay and given Rimadyl to take home

Our girl Lady just got spayed today... when picking her up they gave us some meds and one of them was Rimadyl. I remembered the name Rimadyl from this site but wasn't sure the details and couldn't remember if it was good or bad.. now we're home and I went back to read about it. Is it really that big of an issue to give it to her after something routine like a spay?

Should I call them up and ask for something else?

Thank you for any responses! I'm not sure what to do. She is still kind of drugged up and just sleeping right now.
Sponsored Links

 
  #2  
Old 20th July 2009, 04:03 PM
MyDivo's Avatar
Boxer Buddy
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA, Oregon-Newport
Posts: 32
if you look at my post "are his meds making him shake?" a couple posters put some good info on Rimadyl in there.....

Good luck... hope you get some good informative responses
__________________
Natasha (and David)
Parents to: Cooper Divo Allen- Fawn natural boy 11/29/08

 
  #3  
Old 20th July 2009, 04:27 PM
Caney Creek's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, Georgia (Woodstock)
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Is it really that big of an issue to give it to her after something routine like a spay?

Should I call them up and ask for something else?
After a routine spay (considering there were no complications) she shouldn't need ANY pain medications. Caney was spayed at the Atlanta Humane Society and she didn't receive any pain meds. From what I've heard from other dog owners and other members here on BW, it's more common that pain medications are NOT prescribed after a routine spay/neuter. However, some vets just choose to prescribe them... just like some vets INSIST that dogs stay overnight after a routine spay/neuter (also unnecessary in most cases).

When Caney was spayed, she was pretty drugged up when I picked her up from her surgery; she just slept the rest of the evening and night. The next day she was a little groggy, a little stiff, but up and moving, eating fine and going out to potty on her own. The day after that she was back to her normal self

Personally, I'd opt to not give her any pain medication. Most dogs recover just fine with rest and some extra TLC Return the Rimadyl, or request a safer alternative. No need to have it in the house IMO.

Hope Lady has a speedy recovery!
__________________
Zoë
Creek - Fawn Female, born 03/23/2001
Caney - White Female, born 03/27/2007
Photo Album

Last edited by Caney Creek; 20th July 2009 at 04:29 PM.

 
  #4  
Old 20th July 2009, 04:51 PM
sherryberry's Avatar
Boxer Buddy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 62
Well so far she is doing OK, she's been really groggy and out of it, but she got up and went outside to do a #1 and #2 and came back in to watch out the window then laid back down in her bed.

She had laser therapy on her insision so I think that may have helped a bit. She's not her wiggly self, but she seems OK and wags her tail a bit. If it's not really required and other vets dont prescribe any pain reliever, I think I will hold off and see how she acts.

I would just hate for it to be a success but then have problems because of the unnecesary treatment afterwards... Why don't vets know about these issues or at least acknowledge them and give an alternative or choices?

 
  #5  
Old 21st July 2009, 10:15 AM
Caney Creek's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, Georgia (Woodstock)
Posts: 3,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryberry View Post
Why don't vets know about these issues or at least acknowledge them and give an alternative or choices?
Probably because they make money prescribing pills and giving shots. And some vets tend to want to prescribe something for every tiny little issue (just like some human doctors) while very few prefer to take a more natural, less invasive approach.

If your girl had laser surgery I'm sure she will be just fine without pain meds. It's supposed to be much less harmful to the surrounding tissues and cause less bruising, therefore quicker recovery. Caney not have laser surgery and she was still just fine with no painkillers.

 
  #6  
Old 21st July 2009, 11:05 AM
caruse's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dedham Massachusettes, USA
Posts: 1,191
after being spayed and neutered, neither of mine were given pain meds and they both did fine after the initial grogginess...which was good to keep them quiet!!
Barbara
__________________
Barbara mom to my four skin kids and:
Laila 5-13-07, female fawn, docked and floppy
Frazier 8-1-08 to 5-4-12 male brindle, docked and floppy waiting for his family at the Rainbow Bridge

 
  #7  
Old 21st July 2009, 12:28 PM
TwoDogs's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caney Creek View Post
After a routine spay (considering there were no complications) she shouldn't need ANY pain medications.
Hello! How does anyone really know what a dog feels like after a spay? They take out the ovaries and the uterus. My (human) friend just had this done last week. She had a medical condition that neccesitated it (but didn't contribute additional pain). She certainly experienced pain from the procedure and was on pain meds. She still has pain at the incision site and continues to take over-the-counter pain relievers.

Just because a surgery is "routine" doesn't mean it isn't painful. Animals are great at concealing their pain from us. They can walk around on swollen joints, with broken bones, internal injuries, fevers, lacerations, cancers and all sorts of ailments without showing obvious signs of pain because in the animal world, showing pain means death.

We are the ones that make them undergo these surgeries, and we have the ability to make their recovery easier. The least we can do is provide them with medications to ensure they are as comfortable as possible afterwards. If it were me, I would not administer the Rimadyl, but I would contact the vet and ask for an safer alternative pain medication.

 
  #8  
Old 21st July 2009, 12:30 PM
Sugarcain's Avatar
Super Boxer
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Prescott, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 439
When my husky Dakota broke his leg the first time, the vet gave us tylenoy 3 with codine. I think Roxy had the same when she got spayed.
__________________
momma of doggykids-Sugar-mixed breed-8/10/07, Cain-fawn male, docked, floppy-4/7/08,
http://s600.photobucket.com/albums/t...albumview=grid

 
  #9  
Old 21st July 2009, 09:37 PM
BxrMommieNAZ's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDogs View Post
Hello! How does anyone really know what a dog feels like after a spay? They take out the ovaries and the uterus. My (human) friend just had this done last week. She had a medical condition that neccesitated it (but didn't contribute additional pain). She certainly experienced pain from the procedure and was on pain meds. She still has pain at the incision site and continues to take over-the-counter pain relievers.

Just because a surgery is "routine" doesn't mean it isn't painful. Animals are great at concealing their pain from us. They can walk around on swollen joints, with broken bones, internal injuries, fevers, lacerations, cancers and all sorts of ailments without showing obvious signs of pain because in the animal world, showing pain means death.

We are the ones that make them undergo these surgeries, and we have the ability to make their recovery easier. The least we can do is provide them with medications to ensure they are as comfortable as possible afterwards. If it were me, I would not administer the Rimadyl, but I would contact the vet and ask for an safer alternative pain medication.
I would have to agree here. When my boy had his neuter done (undescended testicle so he had 3 incisions and it was a bit more invasive), I had him on Tramadol twice a day for 5 days and then once a day for an additional 2 for a total of 7 days. I know when I had my c-section I was on Ibuprofen (RX strength, 800mg) around the clock for about a week, I used that as a gauge. No reason for them to be possibly in pain and I figured a week of meds once in his life wasn't going to do any harm. Personally I choose to go with pain meds after any surgery on pets, however I would not use Rimadyl and would request an alternative.
__________________
~Meghan~
Tyson, white, 4 years, Boxer & Thor, 2 year old GSD
Tiger and Raven, kitties, 10 and 11 years
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07