Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 21st June 2009, 10:13 AM
Super Boxer

Unhappy Histiocytoma, How long do we wait?

Layla has had a bump on her rear leg for about 3 months now. The vet told us it was a histiocytoma and it will fall off. If anything it has gotten larger, probably the size of a nickle now. Each week we get more nervious, but we really do not want to put her through surgery if the d---- thing will fall off.

Is there anything bad that could happen if we wait too long? How long should we wait?

Forever in our hearts: Sally, Maxine, and Lucy - all at the bridge.
Sponsored Links

Old 21st June 2009, 06:51 PM
Boxer Insane

How does your vet know it is a hystiocytoma? To be honest there is no sure-fire way to know WHAT something is with 100% certainty unless it is removed and sent to a pathologist. A good vet with a lot of experience with examination of various growths is better than some but there really is no guarantee.
Has a needle aspiration been done at least? If so and your vets recommendation is still that this is nothing to be concerned with I *might* wait another month or two. That being said I have taken my vets advice with a growth deemed a dermal cyst only to ask him to take another look 9 months later. It was a cancerous growth after all. Grade 2/advanced.
Some hystio's DO NOT self resolve and need surgical intervention.
Here's hoping that Layla's growth doesn't give her any problems and is gone sooner rather than later.

Old 21st June 2009, 09:05 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Duke just had one - the vet looked at the cells under the microscope and seemed to think it was a hystiocytoma. He asked us to give it 2-3 months and if it wasn't gone it or if it got much bigger before that - to bring him back to have it removed. Sure enough within 2 months it slowly shrunk and by 3 months it finally disappeared. They don't fall off - at least I don't think they do.

If it's really been 3 months - I would go back to the vet and ask that it be biopsied.

Best of luck to you.
Heidi - boxer/lab mix female 2/94 - 4/07 (miss her!)

Old 22nd June 2009, 08:00 AM
Super Boxer

The vet originally did a needle aspiration. Layla was about 9 mo old then, so there was confidence about it being a histio. Even so we'll the vet look at it again this weekend.

I am so concerned about surgery. She struggled some when she was spayed. Plus the histio is on the tendon area of her rear leg. It would seem to be a difficult area to be cutting around. Just wish the thing would go away.

Thanks!

Old 22nd June 2009, 01:06 PM
Boxer Insane

Joey had a hystio on his front leg and it was about the size of a pencil eraser for about a month. I took him to the vet and they tested it and confirmed that it was a hystio and that they will usually go away on their own with in a few months. It did not go away and by the second month it started to grow pretty quickly to the size of a nickle. I made the appointment to have it removed and within the fews days of waiting for the day of surgery it had grown to the size of a quarter It was on his right front leg and was very easy for him to get to and lick it to the point of bleeding, wich I have wondered if that could have been a reason it started growing so quickly. Having said all of this, I wish I would have had it removed the instant it started to show signs of getting bigger. Not to scare you at all but the surgery its self went fine but it was after the surgery that everything was rough on both Joey and I and I feel like if I hadnt of let it get so big, because I was "watching it" it wouldnt have been such a large area to close with several staples and stiches. It was quite the ordeal for both Joey and I. There has been MANY post about hystiocystoma's and all are very different. This was just my experience with one. Joey has one more hystio since then and it went away on its own within about 6 weeks.

Old 22nd June 2009, 01:22 PM
Super Boxer

Hang in there they do go away. My step daughters dog had on on the front paw bigger than a toonie. The vet said just leave it alone and it will go away and sure enough after 3-4 months it was gone. Gauge my boxer is the brother of my step daughters boxer had one too. His is on the inside of his leg it also went away.

Old 22nd June 2009, 01:31 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygs View Post
Plus the histio is on the tendon area of her rear leg. It would seem to be a difficult area to be cutting around. Just wish the thing would go away.

Thanks!
Eee- that is a tough area to heal... but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.
Tuff had 2 removed last year- one on each of his rear legs in the mid region around the tendons (towards the thigh). it was a rough recovery because there wasn't a lot of skin to pull the stitches closed and he ended up needing 6 "relief cuts" on one. i dont want to scare you with details, but after a long recovery period, and lots of worry, he was good to go.

here's hoping it goes away and your pup doesn't have to face any surgery
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...f/IMG_0124.jpg

Last edited by Tuff Love; 22nd June 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: add to post

Old 23rd June 2009, 08:03 AM
Super Boxer

As you can imagine, our thoughts keep going in circles on this. It is so big now, it will be a very difficult thing to remove and heal. We'll see what the vet says.

Thanks everyone!

Old 23rd June 2009, 09:17 AM
Boxer Insane

Kep up posted on what they say.

Old 23rd June 2009, 12:15 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygs View Post
As you can imagine, our thoughts keep going in circles on this. It is so big now, it will be a very difficult thing to remove and heal. We'll see what the vet says.

Thanks everyone!
Cami has given some great advice on these boards regarding other methods of treatment since she has been down this road many times with her pup. Search the boards for "ventalog" injections. She has been using them on her girl to shrink the tumors and has had success. I plan on asking my vet about it since my Tuff has 2 more lumps. Perhaps a treatment like this could shrink the lump to minimize the size of the incision if it doesn't go away on it's own?

(sorry to speak on Cami's behalf, but i wanted to mention because her threads have been so helpful and insightful)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuff Love For This Useful Post:
larrygs (24th June 2009)

Old 16th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Super Boxer

Thumbs up

We have benefited so much from this forum, I thought I would give a final update for others who might have similar issues.

We did go to our vet who said while it still was likely a hystiocytoma, she was troubled it had been 6 months and recommended surgery. She thought it would be fairly easy and fast surgery because of the underlying shape of it and looseness of skin in the spot. She would also be able to use a minimal sedative that would be less risky. (BTW, she never uses ACE on boxers.) So we went ahead on the following day and all went well. We recently got the results back from the lab confirming that it was indeed a hystiocytoma. Hooray!

LOL, now we are trying to keep a highly active 12 month old pup from being active and messing with the stiches. We all know how this goes.

Thanks to all for the advice and thoughts!

Old 16th July 2009, 04:07 PM
Boxer Insane

My Frazier had one when he was just 4 months old...My vet scrapped it and found no mast cells and was presuming that it was a histiocytoma, but said he couldn't be sure until a biopsy was done..he asked us to wait a little bit until we neutered Frazier and if it was still there he would remove it at the same time...it was about the size of a pencil eraser and never got any bigger, but no smaller either...we had it removed during the neuter and biopsy report said it was a histiocytoma...I wouldn't wait to much longer for your Layla if it is getting bigger because it may be harder to remove in the area it is in and it is just a worry to have it there...
my vet said although it is not impossible to have a mast cell tumor at a young age it is probably unlikely...good luck and please keep us updated

Barbara