Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2009, 07:18 PM
Boxer Insane

Prednisone

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with giving Prednisone to their Boxer?
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07
Sponsored Links

Old 9th April 2009, 07:35 PM
Boxer Insane

We only had to use it with our Weim when she was suffering from DM. The biggest negative was that she could not hold her urine as long (and sometimes not long enough to reach the door). She was only on it for a few weeks until we determined it wasn't helping.

Old 9th April 2009, 08:19 PM
Boxer Insane

Tyson was on it for about a week. Didn't affect him any, thank goodness. But there has been quite a few posts about the urine thing. I think they drink alot more also.
Buster/fawn/floppy 11-11-10

Old 9th April 2009, 08:37 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathysboxer View Post
Tyson was on it for about a week. Didn't affect him any, thank goodness. But there has been quite a few posts about the urine thing. I think they drink alot more also.
Yeah increased hunger and thirst (and therefor urination) is one of the side effects. Anybody have any real negatives though, like life long life altering kind of negatives? I don't really have much of a choice at this point, I've tried everything else and then some (even I thought some things were rediculous and it takes a lot to shock me LoL) and this rash hasn't gone away and it's been 4 months. Kind of out of options.

Old 10th April 2009, 09:41 AM
Boxer Insane

Trimeprazine with prednisone made Caney aggressive. She was prescribed that for a rash on her belly (allergies) back in November and was supposed to take it for a week, but I weaned her off early because her behavior was so unnatural and downright disturbing when she was on this drug. After doing some researching online I found that aggression IS a documented side effect of trimeprazine with prednisone, however it is rare. The aggression is caused by the trimeprazine, not from the prednisone (prednisone alone is not known to cause aggression). When I was looking up this drug I came across one site that used the word "viciousness" instead of aggression in the list of side affects. Viciousness is a much more accurate description of Caney's behavior when taking this. It wasn't that the other dogs were bothering her; more like she was stalking them. It was bazaar.

She has been on prednisone (WITHOUT trimeprazine) for a week another time before that, back in August. That time she had no bad experiences, just the increased hunger, thirst, and urination which was expected.

BTW, the brand name of trimeprazine w/ prednisone is Temaril-P.
Photo Album

Old 10th April 2009, 09:52 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caney Creek View Post
Trimeprazine with prednisone made Caney aggressive. She was prescribed that for a rash on her belly (allergies) back in November and was supposed to take it for a week, but I weaned her off early because her behavior was so unnatural and downright disturbing when she was on this drug. After doing some researching online I found that aggression IS a documented side effect of trimeprazine with prednisone, however it is rare. The aggression is caused by the trimeprazine, not from the prednisone (prednisone alone is not known to cause aggression). When I was looking up this drug I came across one site that used the word "viciousness" instead of aggression in the list of side affects. Viciousness is a much more accurate description of Caney's behavior when taking this. It wasn't that the other dogs were bothering her; more like she was stalking them. It was bazaar.

She has been on prednisone (WITHOUT trimeprazine) for a week another time before that, back in August. That time she had no bad experiences, just the increased hunger, thirst, and urination which was expected.

BTW, the brand name of trimeprazine w/ prednisone is Temaril-P.
Thank you. I'm getting it at a human pharmacy so it's just plain Prednisone as far as I am aware. i haven't seen the actual RX yet but that is what I was told by the vet so hopefully we won't have that issue. Fingers crossed!

Did the prednisone actually work for the rash on her belly? I ask because this is our problem too.

Old 10th April 2009, 09:56 AM
Boxer Insane

That's good to know. I had a foster on Temeril-P for kennel cough in November. She did very well on it, but I'll certainly be more watchful if it gets prescribed again.

We use a topical cortisone spray when Harley gets his rashes. It at least helps stop the itching.

Old 10th April 2009, 10:05 AM
Boxer Insane

Oh yes I've used topicals, I've used Neem oil, coconut oil, Panalog cream (RX), ResiCort, regular hydrocortisone cream (spray and cream), tea bags, oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, neosporin, diet change, Aloe Vera, Zinc (diaper rash cream), changed from a metal crate pan to a plastic one, washed bedding in nothing but water (in case it was from laundry soap), and I know I'm forgetting some stuff. I have literally tried a million and one treatments to no avail. It'll start to get better or part of it will get better and then get worse again. It doesn't seem to bother him, no itching, no pain that I can tell but it looks nasty (looks like a really bad sunburn...he's white) and had been going on since the middle of December now. I promise this was not a decision jumped to quickly and hasn't been made before trying a ton of other safer treatments first but nothing is working. The Neem oil worked the best but it's just not enough.

Old 10th April 2009, 10:33 AM
Boxer Insane

I know from reading your posts you avoid the nastier meds. Predisone does seem to be the 'when all else fails' drug. I think as long as it's used for short periods, the side effects are also short-lived.

Old 10th April 2009, 10:36 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by djheitz View Post
I know from reading your posts you avoid the nastier meds. Predisone does seem to be the 'when all else fails' drug. I think as long as it's used for short periods, the side effects are also short-lived.
Yes, I don't like meds period, but am okay with the more tame ones like an antibiotic here and there when warranted, Benadryl (which he has to take every morning right now or his nose runs ALL day with it heating up and the winds), my girl is on Soloxine and Tramadol I'm fine with those, but I only do meds after ALL else (within reason) has failed. My last "trick" was a diet change, even though he was on the food previously without issue I thought "maybe" so it's been chicken and rice for a few days which I know he's fine with and no change. I've struggled with this. We had to put our other Boxer on Pred when we first moved here as he broke out in hives and he was fine, I'm hoping we can have him on it for less than a week. Fingers crossed!

Old 10th April 2009, 07:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxrMommieNAZ View Post
Did the prednisone actually work for the rash on her belly? I ask because this is our problem too.
It worked the first time around, but it wasn't long before I noticed the rash starting to come back again. Plus, it wasn't nearly as big or as nasty in the first place as it was the second time she was on pred, which was soon to follow (little did I know ). I never imagined it would get as bad as it did. The second time we took her in for the same rash, it had more than doubled in size and was extremely dry, almost like a huge scab. I was sure it was infected but the vet said it wasn't; the rash was JUST from her licking it so much. If I'd known that I probably wouldn't have taken her in, just put an e-collar on her. BUT, she prescribed steroids again (the trimeprazine/pred. this time) and sent home. If I can remember correctly I believe it was right after that when I found another single flea on her, first one in months. She was on the tri/pred at the time but still the rash got much, MUCH worse; it was literally a huge hot-spot that started at her groin and went all the way up her belly nearly to her ribcage, and also stretching across her inner thighs. It looked like a huge scab that was peeling off in thick chunks, and the skin underneath was completely raw. Whenever she would lay down for a while so that it couldn't get air, by the time she got up it was an oozing mess. It literally looked like someone had smeared rubber cement all over her belly. Sorry for being so graphic I just couldn't believe something so horrid looking could be from licking.

I honestly don't think the meds were very helpful that last time, because I do remember what finally DID work. My mom suggested that I put Lantiseptic on it, an ointment used to soothe diaper rash and also used by breast feeding mothers as a nipple cream, because it is also completely safe if ingested. Mom kept nagging me to try this stuff for weeks, and it wasn't until I had tried everything else that I thought, heck, why not? I had to go to an old family-owned-&-operated drugstore to find it (most grocery stores and drugstores don't carry it) but it was well worth the special trip. This stuff cleared up the rash in literally 4 days, after nearly 2 months of progressively becoming worse and worse. Never thought mom would be the one to give me pet care advice, but I'm a believer in this product now!

Here's the Lantiseptic ointment I used. I got the one in the tub, but it looks as if all the products pictured have the same ingredients.
http://www.lantiseptic.com/sp.html

Last edited by Caney Creek; 10th April 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Old 10th April 2009, 07:45 PM
Boxer Insane

Hmm interesting. I'm very glad he can't reach it to lick it or it may be that bad LoL. I picked up the Pred this afternoon (happily it was on Wal-Mart's $4 RX plan so it was only 4 bucks, thank goodness for small favors). Anybody know if 10mg once a day for 5-7 days and then 10mg every 48 hours for a week is a low or high dosage? He's 60 pounds.

If this doesn't work I will look at that cream. I've never seen it in our local stores (I have a small child so I'm frequently in the baby section) and I'd probably have to order it. Well it says that Walgreens and CVS both sell it neither of which are too far, maybe I'll call and see if my local one truly does before I give the Pred. Hmm decisions decisions LoL.

WEll I thank you for the link anyway, I will definitely call around and see.