Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2009, 10:11 AM
Boxer Booster

Another thing you should check into is green lipped mussel powder. My Jade is also 20 months and has hip dysplasia. She is now on glucosamine/chondrotin/msm and is doing very well, but I am going to switch her over to Green lipped mussel. Apparently, it is miraculous.

Old 6th April 2009, 09:07 AM
Boxer Booster

brunobear: where do you find this product and are you adding it to the glucosamime or stopping the glucosomine? Did you ever put your baby on Rimadyl or any other anti-inflammatory.?? Thanks

Old 7th April 2009, 08:39 AM
Boxer Booster

So far i haven't been able to find it anywhere besides online, so I guess I will end up having to order it. I will be using it instead of glucosmaine/chondrotin I think. I have to do a bit more reseach on that part, but I think it is another source of glucosamine. If you live in a decent size city(I don't!), you should be able to find it at a health/vitamin store. If you find something else that works well please post about it, as I am up for trying anything to help out my Jadey.

Old 7th April 2009, 08:49 AM
Boxer Booster

Thumbs up

Sorry I forgot to answer about the anti-inflammatory. I did try her on an rimidyl for 2weeks It was when she first starting showing signs of hip dysplasia, and it was quite bad. She would barely get off the bed for about 10 days. the drugs did not seem to help her, and eventually she was back to her normal self. She hasn't been in pain like that since. My vet told me that if she seems to get really sore we can try anti-inflammatories again during times of pain, but I don't think I will use them unless absolutely neccesary. Since the diagnosis, I've been making sure she gets twice as much exercise as she used to(very time consuming), and she is back to her usual crazy self!

Old 7th April 2009, 09:31 AM
Boxer Booster

Thanks for all the help..I put Lulu on Dasuquin, which is glucosamine, chronditin and msm ..It is formualted for dogs. Of course it cost me a fortune. $120.00 for 150 tablets..I now know that I can just buy the human form for a lot less..I don't know if I have asked you this before, but how much glucosomine, etc. do you give your baby? I am also thinking of just using a escriptin, which is basically aspirin that is coated with malox (so it doesn't upset their stomach)...Lots of love to your furbaby...Debbie

Old 7th April 2009, 10:36 AM
Boxer Booster

I have a 7 year old Labrador with HD. I told my vet that I did not want rimidyl because of all the bad things I had read about. Also the cost was very high. She suggested that I use Quardrasol...not sure if the spelling is right..I am at work so I can not check. Anyway this is a fraction of the cost. It is normally used for horses, so I use a minimal amount for him.
He has been on it for 5 years now with no ill effect. This medicine comes in a tube and it is like a gel..so sometimes it is a pain in the you know what to use. The cost per tube is 48.00 and it lasts around 7 months give or take.
Good luck..I know how you are feeling right now. Dogs are a lot sronger than we think
Holly (GSD) July 15/96 -Oct 30/09 Waiting at the bridge.

Old 7th April 2009, 01:15 PM
Boxer Booster

When my GSD was diagnosed with HD at the age of 18months, we started her on CARTROPHEN VET injections, it's a series of injections that are given at intervals of 1 per week for 6 weeks, 1 every 2 weeks for 3 months, 1 per month for 6months to a year, then 1 every 6 months or whatever is required depending on the severity of the HD. I started my GSD on the injections when she was about two years old until the age of 9 and because of the injections she led a very normal life, daily walks and she always had her runs around the yard, after than we put her on metacam and eventually on prednisone.
At Bridge: Callie2004,Jackson2005,Mickey2007,Keisha2008

Old 8th April 2009, 10:33 AM
Boxer Insane

Hello Debbie

I am so sorry it ended up being hip dysplasia..

hey, good news: Snatch is better. After 1month on cosequin DS (2/day) and veterinian's best Pain and Aches Reliever (1.5/day) and fish oil.

I started Snatch on regular human glucosamine, but the problem is that i had to crush it into powder, mix with food. i would lose some of it, because he didn't lick the bowl.

So I bought cosequin, with are flavoured tablet, and he loves it.

I find the best prices at entirely pets.com

Look around for the best prices.

I just ordered some prozyme (digestive enzyme) over there, and they sent me coupons and samples for joint treats. They are super fast!

i just limit Snatch exercise, and look for signs when he hads enough.

Good luck with your Lulu i am sure you will find the products that makes her more confortable

I am going to check at that Quadrasol product! thanks!

Old 8th April 2009, 05:54 PM
Boxer Booster

The pill that i give Jade is glucosamine(500mg), chondrotin(400mg) and msm(400mg) and she gets 3 a day. What quantities did your vet recommend, lululove? I've seen a post that says dogs should be given 3000mg/day, but I'm just going by my vet's recommendation.

Old 9th April 2009, 09:52 AM
Boxer Booster

thanks everyone...dasuquin

Thanks for all your replies, it really helps...I have put Lulu on Dasuquin, which is made by the same company that makes Cosequin..It is just their new alternative for dogs with HD. You have to buy it at the vets..It is very expensive, I paid 119.00 for 150tablets..However, I did see it on line at pet supply place (I need to find the name again) and they had it for 75.00, big difference. Anyway, it has 900 mg of glucosomine, 800mg MSM (it is important you get the formula with the MSM) 300mg Chondrotin and 90mg Avocado/Soybean. I give Lulu 2 tablets a day. It is also flavored like the Cosequin she loves taking it. I am also going to start adding some sardines, etc. to her diet. She loves her exercise so I will not stop that..I am just watching that she does not jump, etc. Also, limiting rough play with other dogs..I just can't believe she has HD at such a young age..I am hoping by using the supplements and good exercise she will be able to live a very happy full life...I guess if it gets too bad we could consider surgery..Please keep me posted on Snatch's progress.. Thanks, Debbie

Old 9th April 2009, 06:22 PM
Boxer Insane

i will maybe change to dasuquin let me know how it works for lulu

I found dasuquin at $65 for 150 tablets here: http://shaunamariandco.ecrater.com/p...php?pid=744287

good luck!

Old 10th April 2009, 10:17 AM
Boxer Booster

thank you Chrystel

Chrystel, thanks for website.. Make sure you purchase the dasuquin with MSM. They sell it with and without..The MSM is important for dogs with HD..I will keep you posted..I am not good at posting techniques. What is the best way to post to make sure you see it..Am I making sense..Thanks