Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 20th February 2009, 01:39 PM
Boxer Buddy

Dry Skin

I have noticed T-Bone has dry skin. How do i take care of this? I gave him a bath this morning. What causes a flakey coat?
Sponsored Links

Old 20th February 2009, 02:49 PM
Boxer Insane

Could be any number of things. Some serious, others not so much.
Poor diet, dry air, allergies, leftover soap from bathing, or a fair amount of health issues (Cushings, Thyroid, Diabetes, kidney issues, etc....).
In the absence of any other "symptoms" I would start with diet first. What are you feeding?
Supplements can be added to aid with coat/skin however a healthy dog eating a healthy diet shouldn't NEED supplements like fish or vitamin E oil. They can help in certain situations (and offer other benefits too) but in the grand scheme of things they *shouldn't * be necessary to achieve healthy skin/coat on a healthy dog who is eating a healthier food.
That being said my girl eats a healthy diet and takes fish oil daily (for other issues) and she can still have flakes at certain times of the year not just during winter (dry).

Last edited by Cami; 20th February 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Old 20th February 2009, 03:42 PM
Boxer Buddy

dry skin

Ok. Well ive been trying different foods. He was on Diamond for 3 months and started turning his nose up to eat, also science diet that the vet suggested. This morning i got a bag of taste of the wild the salmon flavor. He is 6 months now.

Old 20th February 2009, 04:47 PM
Boxer Insane

Well the Science Diet isn't the greatest food around. I'm not saying that it is the culprit but you've made a step up with Taste of the Wild.
Of course not all healthier foods are the RIGHT food for all dogs but it is a great place to start, IMO.
If it were the food causing the issue you won't see results overnight. It could take weeks to restore what might have been missing in the diet and another couple of weeks for the changed added to take effect.
If he does well on it in all other aspects, at minimum he will be healthier with the better ingredients and lack of bad ones!

How often are you bathing? How warm is the water? Bathing too often can remove needed oils from the skin leaving it dry. Warmer water (like what we would bath in) would also tend to have a drying effect.

He is quite handsome by the way.

Old 20th February 2009, 05:03 PM
Boxer Insane

I would also give him fish oil and vitamin E. Typically 1,000mg of fish oil per 20 pounds of body weight (my boy is 65 pounds and takes 3 per day) and (1) 400 IU of Vitamin E a day that tends to help quite a bit with dry skin, that mixed with the food change is a good start. Also make sure you are using dog shampoo and not human shampoo.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 20th February 2009, 06:03 PM
Boxer Buddy

skin

He dont get one that often. Only on a warm day around her in the Sooner Nation of Oklahoma. Every few months. So fish is good for this? I noticed it while he was on Diamond Large Puppy. Thank you on his comment.

Old 20th February 2009, 08:01 PM
Boxer Insane

The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil will aid in skin and coat conditioning if given regularly. I give each of my girls about 3 fish oil pills daily. You won't see results for about a month, but it definitely helps and is worth it IMO. Also, large breed puppy formulas actually contain less calcium, protein and fat than regular puppy formulas, so that could be why you noticed his skin being dry while he was on it.

I don't bathe them too often, but if they must be bathed in the winter I usually follow the wash with a thick mixture of Aveeno 100% Colloidal Oatmeal Bath.

When the weather turns cold and we have to turn up the heat, I always notice their fur being dryer, and Caney's allergies seem to start acting up as well. If dry air is a problem where you live, try running a humidifier. Or you can hang a wet towel somewhere in your bedroom, on a doorknob for instance, and it will put moisture into the air as it dries. I read that in a magazine recently and just had to try it out. It's a nice, cheap alternative if you're on a budget like me
Photo Album

Old 21st February 2009, 06:09 AM
Boxer Pal

Cooper had this problem as a puppy. We changed his dry food from what the breeder had him on to Royal Cannin Boxer and we mix tuna or salmon with it. His dry skin has completely gone now and his coat is in a great condition now. I also found certain washing powders I would use to wash his bedding in made him scratch, so I swapped to a sensitive non bio powder. Hope you sort this problem out soon I remember it drove Cooper mad.