Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

 
  #1  
Old 17th February 2009, 02:19 PM
Boxer Pal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA, DC
Posts: 3
Could my dog get sick from eating a mouse?

I adopted a boxer about 3 months ago. I live in a basement apartment, and every few months I'll spot a mouse, usually either running behind my washer/dryer or the boiler. I have poison/bait laid out in both places, and my dog has no way of possibly getting into the mouse poison.

I saw a mouse last night for the first time in months, and it's the first time I've seen one since I got my dog.

If my dog were to see the mouse and catch it, what are his chances of getting sick? And would it make any difference if the mouse had ingested any of the poison or not?

(My dog is up to date on all the usual shots...)
Sponsored Links

 
  #2  
Old 17th February 2009, 02:46 PM
ELubas's Avatar
Boxer Insane
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Danvers, MA
Posts: 3,988
He most definetly could get sick, particularly if the mouse ingested the poison you left down. That is not to say he would but I would be more concerned about the poison than the critter. Mine have munched on many critters and outside of an upset stomach faired ok. The poison is a different story... Not much help to you I am afraid. Good luck
__________________
Eileen

 
  #3  
Old 17th February 2009, 04:07 PM
gmacleod's Avatar
Elusive Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 15,273
If the (eaten) mouse has consumed the poison, then yes, it will affect the dog - pretty much the same as if he ate the poison directly. In large enough doses, it would kill. One poisoned mouse probably isn't going to kill the dog, but it won't do him any good either.

Options really are to either keep the dog somewhere else, or to switch poison for traps to control the mice.
__________________
Not sure, or just haven't read them? Read the Rules before you post please.