Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 19th January 2009, 12:51 PM
Boxer Buddy

Unhappy Chronic Diarrhea

Ok, so I'm over this and I have no idea what else to do. I figured it will be good to turn to other boxer owners who might just know what I'm going through and can offer their personal advice.

Sherlock has had chronic diarrhea and first, he was diagnosed with 3+ giardia. However, we treated it with flagyl and then two separate rounds of panacur. His stool has been fine for a month or so and now is back to the runny stuff.
He has no appetite loss, no energy loss or anything. The vet said he believes he might have boxer colitis and if he gets a flare up in his gut, to use flagy; it is also an anti-inflammatory as well as antibiotic.
Needless to say, I've been using it for three days now and nothing. He still has the runs.
I'm also using brown rice and even bran to stop it. nothing is working.
He is eating innova and I believe i might switch him to grain free or perhaps the royal canine for boxers. I have no idea what to do and if this is right.
Does anyone know what might be going on?

There are sooo many reasons for diarrhea in adults that I see as a nurse. I have tried sooo many things too, but nothing is working.
Perhaps some of you have had this experience and can offer some words of wisdom for me. I thank you in advance
Sponsored Links

Old 19th January 2009, 01:59 PM
Super Boxer

I have never ever heard of using bran. I would think it would make you go more. Gauge just got over the diarrhea too. I used boiled russet potatoes and chicken. The rice did not work for him but the potatoes did. We fasted for 24 hours and than feed the potatoes and chicken for 5 days than slowly very slowly added his other foods again.

Old 19th January 2009, 02:04 PM
Super Boxer

You may want to ad fortiflora to his food you can get it at your vets. I would check out the food area of this web sites it will tell what the top dry dog foods are and royal cainn is really low on the list. Gauge is on oijen and natural balance duck and potato.

Old 19th January 2009, 04:06 PM
Boxer Insane

Poor Sherlock! I agree with silly24boxer. The bran and brown rice may be further irritating the colon. The fast is good to give his digestive tract a rest - the bland food will be easier on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly24boxer View Post
I have never ever heard of using bran. I would think it would make you go more. Gauge just got over the diarrhea too. I used boiled russet potatoes and chicken. The rice did not work for him but the potatoes did. We fasted for 24 hours and than feed the potatoes and chicken for 5 days than slowly very slowly added his other foods again.
Sending healing vibes to your boy, I hope he is better soon. Please keep us posted.

Old 19th January 2009, 04:10 PM
Boxer Insane

Psyllium works WONDERS. I use Yerba Prima because there isn't a bunch of garbage in it but you can get it at Wal-Mart to see if it works. I get mine online but you can get Yerba Prima in health food stores. A bio chemist recommended it to me and it works great for my guy with colitis when he has a flare up.

You can also use a probiotic which may help.

For my colitis guy I use a probiotic with each meal, ProZyme, and then when he has a flare up psyllium.

Good luck!

Oh and I'd stay away from the Royal Canin Boxers it's a really crummy food.
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 19th January 2009, 07:21 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you

I completely forgot the benefits of psyllium. I just started him on boiled chicken, white rice and pumpkin for 7 days. I am going to give his gut a rest, but something inside is telling me he might be allergic to chicken. My last white boxer was so and it took me forever to figure it out.

Silly24boxer, how is that potato and duck working out? It's the grain free one, right? I was thinking after this 7 days, perhaps I can slowly introduce that food and hope for something great to come out of it.

I feel so awful for him; straining. People are always asking me if he's sick and he's not.

As far as the bran is concerned, it absorbs eight times its own weight and soaks up the extra fluid in the intestines.

I really appreciate everyone's input Thank you!

Last edited by SillySherlok; 19th January 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 20th January 2009, 05:54 AM
Super Boxer

The natural balance duck and potato works great for Gauge. I am mixing it with orijen and canidea right now to use up some of the stuff I have left. I also make home cooked food for Gauge so he gets 50% homemade plus the kibble at each meal.

Old 21st January 2009, 07:46 PM
Boxer Booster

How ironic..... I fed my dog Innova when she was a puppy and her stomach has not been the same since. Chronic diarrhea for years after that. I finally went to a raw diet and things are better, but not 100%. My dog trainer said that she knows two people who had their boxers on Innova and both ended up having to have stomach surgery. Wish I had known that before I gave her that brand. Good luck.

Old 21st January 2009, 08:34 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
As far as the bran is concerned, it absorbs eight times its own weight and soaks up the extra fluid in the intestines.
Yes this is true. In small amounts bran can help with diarrhea. And in case anyone was wondering this is also why pumpkin can help with diarrhea. It’s the fiber in pumpkin that absorbs excess water and bulks up the stools to make them firmer.

Boxer colitis is the pits! I have seen many dogs come into our rescue with this condition. There is another treatment that you can try that includes a combo of two different antibiotics (I think one of them is Baytril and I can’t remember the other but a quick search on this board will get you the protocol). In the dogs that I have seen diets such as raw and home cooked has done the trick. I have also seen success with the natural balance duck & potato food.

Also (as another poster mentioned) making plain russet mashed potatoes can work wonders. I had a foster that had terrible diarrhea and what finally cleared it up was about two days of eating nothing but the mashed potatoes. That really gave him the break that his system needed and then we were able to slowly introduce regular food again.

Good luck

Old 22nd January 2009, 12:52 AM
Boxer Buddy

Homecooked or raw!! I was not a believer but now I am.
It was the only thing that helped our dog. I tried experimenting, as well, and I found all rice/oatmeal/anything of the sort caused more runny poop.
Sweet potatoes seem to be easiest on her.
The recommendations for probiotics are also fantastic. Has there been any break in the runnyness? Maybe try fasting for a day and then starting on some homecooking for a while.

Old 22nd January 2009, 10:48 PM
Boxer Buddy

I've put him on boiled chicken with white rice and pumpkin, but he still has the runs I am so worried. I called the vet to have a blood panel run on him when he goes in to be fixed on Wednesday. But he isn't losing weight, nor energy and he's not lethargic. I replenish his water and am using bran in small amounts. Maybe the potatoes for a few days only, but he needs protein. Does anyone know any VERY DIGESTIBLE protein? This could very well be the problem.

I have a hunch it could be an allergy to chicken; not sure though. I hear his tummy grumble, but thankfully, he's not going in the house.

I really have no idea. I was going to keep him on the boiled chicken and rice for 7 days to see if his tummy settles. If it does not, I'm going to believe he is allergic to chicken and try the duck and potato. Ugh...my poor boy

Old 23rd January 2009, 03:50 AM
Super Boxer

Get rid of the rice. Used boil russet potatoe and I bet you will see a change. Some boxers cannot handle rice. Gauge had the runs and I started with chicken and rice for a wk and he still had the runs. Vet said skip the rice boil some russet potatoes and do equal parts chicken to rice. I also only use the white meat and slowly added dark. This did the trick along with fortiflora, which helps the bacteria in the stomach go back to normal after giving him drugs for the runs. It took Gauge a month to get over this.