Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 26th December 2008, 12:25 PM
Boxer Pal

Licking between her legs

My baby girl is almost a year old and for the past couple weeks she has been licking a large spot just up from between her hind legs. She is licking it constantly and so often that it has turned dark red and has even bled a little like she rubbed it raw. Looks like a rash now. I plan on taking her to the vet soon, but was curious if anyone had any idea what might be wrong?

Old 26th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Elusive Moderator

I'm not quite clear on the location you mean... Is it the anal/vaginal area, or low down on the tummy? If the former, possibly it could be an infected/impacted anal gland (needs medical attention or might rupture).

Old 18th January 2009, 12:30 AM
Boxer Buddy

I just thought I'd add that if she is licking around the vaginal area, it could be a urinary infection... I hope she's better by now though!

Old 18th January 2009, 10:37 AM
Boxer Buddy

Our puppy does has the same thing..she is always licking and it is also all red. The vet said she has a small case of something like "vaginosis" which she said can happen in pups and said the best thing is to really try to keep her clean (baby wipes after going to the bathroom)... I know your dog is older so not sure if it's the same...
Let me know what the vet says...

Old 18th January 2009, 12:18 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaCT View Post
Our puppy does has the same thing..she is always licking and it is also all red. The vet said she has a small case of something like "vaginosis" which she said can happen in pups and said the best thing is to really try to keep her clean (baby wipes after going to the bathroom)... I know your dog is older so not sure if it's the same...
Let me know what the vet says...

My vet actually said the same thing about keeping Alize clean with using baby wipes after she pees... Alize is prone to urinary infections. She is so muscular that her muscles actually push her vulva back in towards her body, which keeps her from getting completely clean.

Old 18th January 2009, 04:51 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
My baby girl is almost a year old and for the past couple weeks she has been licking a large spot just up from between her hind legs. She is licking it constantly and so often that it has turned dark red and has even bled a little like she rubbed it raw. Looks like a rash now. I plan on taking her to the vet soon, but was curious if anyone had any idea what might be wrong?
That sounds exactly like the rash Caney had recently; it stemmed from an allergic reaction, primarily from fleas I believe (could have been other things also, but we know for sure it was at least fleas). It started as a dark reddish-black oily something that seemed to be oozing from her pores. It progressed very quickly from that into a very large area of red, irritated skin, and then darkened, dried up and cracked like a huge scab. Turned out that her licking the area is what actually made it look so bad though; which, I couldn't believe when the vet told me that. It looked SO horrible, I thought "HOW could that have come from just licking??" At it's worst it was even oozing what looked like glue or rubber cement. Poor girl... I wish I had taken a picture of it when it was that bad though. But, the vet said it wasn't infected so no need for antibiotics; she prescribed some prednisone which kind of helped, but Caney had such an awful side affect from it that I weaned her off of them ASAP.

If the vet tells you the same thing, that the rash is from her licking the area (whether due to allergies or what) and it isn't infected, my advice would be to skip the steroids at all costs. Opt for an antihistamine without steroids, or ask if benadryl would be OK (if the vet recommends an antihistamine). Even once the flare-ups were under control (after we put Caney on Frontline and did some serious cleaning of the house/carpets/dog beds) her rash didn't go away on it's own. The ONLY thing that worked was Lantiseptic Skin Protectant, which contains 50% lanolin. My mom suggested it a while back for Caney but I was skeptical at the time, and only tried it when nothing else worked. After 2 days of applying the Lantiseptic, the rash that had lingered for months was completely gone. Another plus is that it's safe if she happens to lick it. SO... if you can find that product, I highly recommend it We took Caney to the vet twice for this and kept getting prescribed steroids, which helped a little, but didn't solve the whole problem.
Photo Album