Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 15th November 2008, 11:52 AM
Boxer Insane

honking sound

chloe used to make a terrible honking sound and stand very rigid and her sides would heave in and out it would last for like 20 secs and end, it seemed when she got excited or scared it would happen, now spanky is doing the same exact thing, the vet never found anything wrong with chloe and always had a clean bill of health and spanky, knock wood is in good cond, has anyone elses dog done this, i really never gave it a second thought with chloe but now since spanky is doing the same thing its really got me wondering. thanks for any info. michele
Maxi(Rotti) at the bridge
Sponsored Links

Old 15th November 2008, 02:24 PM
Boxer Insane

Sounds like it might be a reverse sneeze? If you google it you will see it. My male used to get it and for the most part it tends to be benign...

Old 15th November 2008, 02:41 PM
Boxer Insane

Cyrus does this! It is so scary, it looks like he is having trouble breathing. Our vet could never find anything wrong either. I am going to read up on reverse sneezing now. Thanks for the info, we have been stumped about this. The episodes are heartbreaking to watch and not be able to do anything about it.
~~~~Daisy the Black cat-7 years-best thing I've ever found in a barn!

Old 15th November 2008, 03:33 PM
Boxer Insane

Yes, it can appear to be quite serious but most times is not

Old 15th November 2008, 03:57 PM
Boxer Insane

As you have seen the vet it isn't kennel cough but that description is very like what my 2 are doing, they are on antibio's for kennel cough at the moment.

Old 16th November 2008, 07:56 AM
Boxer Insane

elubus, thanks for the name, i went and searched reverse sneeze and found alot on it including videos and the dogs were doing the same exact thing spanky does. i feel better now but next week spanky still has to go to the vets to have his ear checked for the last time and again ill mention it and this time ill have a name for it. i also checked breeds prone to this cond and found that the short nosed dogs, bulldogs, boxers, etc were known to get this cond. if the dog is in good health and been checked out its harmless just uncomfortable to watch.

Last edited by bucca; 16th November 2008 at 08:01 AM.

Old 16th November 2008, 09:42 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucca View Post
elubus, thanks for the name, i went and searched reverse sneeze and found alot on it including videos and the dogs were doing the same exact thing spanky does. i feel better now but next week spanky still has to go to the vets to have his ear checked for the last time and again ill mention it and this time ill have a name for it. i also checked breeds prone to this cond and found that the short nosed dogs, bulldogs, boxers, etc were known to get this cond. if the dog is in good health and been checked out its harmless just uncomfortable to watch.
Glad it is nothing serious. Let us know how it goes at the vets

Old 18th November 2008, 10:18 AM
Boxer Insane

well spanky had his recheck for his ear today( i thought it was next week until they called last night to confirm bad mommy wrote the wrong date down) his ear is completely healed and doing great. i mentioned the reverse sneezing and hacking(like he has something stuck in his throat) they checked his heart and asked if i wanted a cardiogram done, i did to be safe, knock wood heart is fine, no fever, ruled out kennel cough, and then he did it in front of them and he said he thinks it was some mild type of reaction to the meds since it didnt start until he was on them, he told me he wasnt concerned and not to worry, since this morning was the last dose of pills and he was in good health, he got his second lyme shot which knocked him out so he is sleeping now i feel alot better knowing the cough wasnt serious but feel bad it was a reaction and i didnt really pick up on it, luckily he is fine.