Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 28th September 2008, 01:46 PM
Boxer Insane

How do you get pine sap out of dog fur???

Moderators: I wasn't sure where to place this, but I thought since I was asking about a safe "remedy" to my problem it might go here. If not, please accept my apologies and move it where it needs to be

Our landlady recently built a huge gorgeous pine deck in the back of our building and we love it. However, the carpenters used untreated wood that is now oozing sap everywhere. Normally Hurricane stays away from the sap but today he went tearing up the stairs and around the corner right into a big puddle of it. One paw is covered completely on the bottom, its in between his toes, and he has since somehow managed get some one his shoulder. What is safe to use to get this nasty, sticky stuff out of his fur? I have tried just warm water and a towel, which didn't work at all. Soap doesn't seem to be affecting it at all either. Is Goo Gone safe to use on a dog? Any natural ideas? Thanks in advance!

Crystal - Slave to Hurricane (3.19.07)
Sponsored Links

Old 28th September 2008, 02:00 PM
Boxer Insane

I've heard to get it out of people's hair you can put ice on it for a minute or so to freeze it which keeps it from being gooey and you can pull it out of hair. That's all I got I'm sorry good luck!
Erin flashy fawn, Lucas, Flashy Fawn, Boxer angels, RIP 11-29-10 and 8-22-07

Old 28th September 2008, 02:24 PM
Boxer Insane

I don't know if it would work or not, but maybe putting a little pertrolium jelly on his foot and anywhere else and gently rub with an old rag may help. Just an idea. I also know that people use peanut butter to get gum out of hair. If I'm remembering right, anything that is kind of greasy should help.

Old 28th September 2008, 04:43 PM
Boxer Insane

Peanut Butter-works like a charm and I learned it here Rub it all over the sap, work it in good, and then rinse if off-I guaruntee it will work Good luck

Old 28th September 2008, 05:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELubas View Post
Peanut Butter-works like a charm and I learned it here Rub it all over the sap, work it in good, and then rinse if off-I guaruntee it will work Good luck
ditto on the peanut butter or olive oil works great too

Old 29th September 2008, 11:17 PM
Boxer Booster

that's so funny, I had the same exact problem a month or 2 ago, I can't find the thread right now, but someone advised me to use hand sanitizer and it worked great!

Old 2nd October 2008, 12:15 PM
Super Boxer

special remover

Hi there - my parent's own a christmas tree farm and we have a problem with sap on us all the time!
They actually make a sap remover - it might be handy to have around since this may happen again. I'm not sure what the name of it is - but I'm sure your local Lowes, Home Depot, Fleet Farm, or hardware store would know what it's called.
In a pinch - we have used gasoline on a rag for us; as it removes sap and pitch - but I'm not sure I'd want to use that on my baby!

Old 2nd October 2008, 12:33 PM
Boxer Insane

Thanks for the tips! Peanut butter is what I had on hand and you were right, it worked perfectly. I never would have thought of that! Thanks again

Old 2nd October 2008, 05:34 PM
Super Boxer

ya,i would say peanut butter or olive oil