Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2008, 05:38 PM
Boxer Booster

Cain got bit by a groundhog!!

My 7mth old Cain was outside playing and cornered a groundhog. Well he's very quick and had the groundhog in his mouth. I heard a lot of barking and crying. After we got cain and the groundhog away from each other. The groundhog lived and ran under the deck. Cain had blood on his foot. We washed it with water and the groundhog definitly bit cain. In between toes. Nothing bad but broke the skin. Should I clean it out with perixiode? I'm gonna call the board of heallth so they can come get this thing. I'm worried about rabies!! Definitly gonna call the vet. My vet is closed and the animal hospital is open. But don't know what to do about his foot and it got his muzzle a little bit. And will the vet be able to run a rabies test this soon after he got bit??? HELP!!
♥♥Comet♥♥ my big mushy black lab.
Sponsored Links

Old 7th May 2008, 06:06 PM
Boxer Insane

I wouldn’t worry too much about Rabies as long as Cain is UTD on his vaccine. Making a call to the vet is a good idea and I would clean out the cuts really well with some antibacterial soap and maybe some peroxide mixed with a little water. Infection is more of a concern than rabies.

Old 7th May 2008, 06:13 PM
Boxer Booster

I wiped his foot and muzzle with antiseptic wipe. And he is UTD on all vaccines. I will def clean out with peroxide and water.. asap...

Thanks!!

Old 7th May 2008, 07:17 PM
Boxer Insane

It's pretty doubtful the groundhog has rabies, they aren't your typical carriers. They are very adaptive to living near humans. Since I've lived in the country most of my life I've had several dogs tangle with groundhogs, all lived to fight again! Groundhogs usually latch on and don't like to let go so multiple bites don't happen often. I think cleaning it with peroxide was the best thing and keep an eye out so infection doesn't set in.

Bella 6/13/06 CGC, TDI
Jake-border collie/beagle 6/20/99 & Reggie-Jack Russell 12/25/97

Old 7th May 2008, 07:32 PM
Boxer Insane

some years back we had a rottweiler,it to tangled with a groundhog amongst several other animals but we just kept the wounds cleaned up really good,never had any problems with the rabies issue as he was UTD on his shots,good luck with your boy

MoM & DaD of GDOGS 8/18/05 Brindle,Docked,Floppy and full of Zest

Old 7th May 2008, 08:54 PM
Boxer Insane

Sending out lots of healing vibes for Cain!

Old 8th May 2008, 07:34 AM
Boxer Insane

Poor guy, you have to watch it with groundhogs, they can be very mean. I hope that Cain will be just fine, I'm sure he will be, peroxide is the best at fighting infection and it is cheap as dirt. I pour peroxide on all wounds in my house. I have seen it clear up horrible infections before. Good luck. Vibes from Cody and I.
Aniah 5/27/08 classic fawn girl, docked and floppy, full of the badness

Old 8th May 2008, 06:21 PM
Boxer Booster

Cool

Thanks everyone!! I was such a nervous wreck last night with cain. But today he's back looking for that groundhog. But all of your advice was greatly appropriated. I cleaned out cains foot last nite and today it was fine. no tenderness or redness. But it's so nice to have everyone on this site to help out and give such great advice. i'd be lost without my BW!!

Old 8th May 2008, 06:49 PM
Boxer Insane

I am mom to a girl who has now chased two ground hogs out of the yard. Caught two opossums and tried to "play" with them by doing the death shake while they were in her mouth. Treed a raccoon. Has caught many birds and played with them until they died. Had rabbit and squirrel fur in her teeth as they made their escape thru the fence and tried to play fetch with herself by tossing a feamle mallard duck into the air multiple times. She also caught a chipmunk with her foot and held it down ever so gently so that she could get a really close up view of it.

She loves her critters!

I am sorry that your baby got bitten and I wouldn't worry about the rabies thing!

Old 8th May 2008, 09:09 PM
Boxer Insane

That mean old groundhog! Poor baby, I'm glad he is feeling better.
Roxy, 9 yr old brindle female, waiting at the bridge 4/10/00-4/10/09

Old 9th May 2008, 05:15 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Poor Cain. I'm glad he's not suffering too much from his bout with the groundhog. They can be really nasty and vicious. Last year my 3 cornered a young groundhog. Avery was smart enough to back away, I managed to pick up Indy, but Jack went a round or two with him and ended up with a huge cut on his lip. You would think that after all that the groundhog would pack his bags and find a new home..not...this year I am going to live trap them in order to keep my dogs safe.

Old 9th May 2008, 06:58 AM
Boxer Insane

I am so glad that Cain is feeling better.