Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 24th June 2007, 02:35 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Bullseye mark - Lyme's Disease?

Hello all -

We just came to pick up Jersey from my inlaws' house on our way back from the airport, and when she was rolling around on the carpet in joy I noticed a mark on her inner thigh. More specifically, it's a "bullseye" mark - a small reck pock with a perfect concentric red ring around it. In humans, this is a hallmark sign of Lyme's Disease, and the New Jersey suburb she was running around does have deer and ticks. She gets Frontline Plus once a month, but the area where to bite is was where her fur is almost non-existent.

I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone had a similar experience, or can offer advice for proper prevention/treatment of the disease. My understanding is that the bullseye mark is rare in dogs (more common in humans), so for that matter, could this be something else?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!
Sponsored Links

Old 24th June 2007, 09:45 PM
Reasonable Moderator

Re: Bullseye mark - Lyme's Disease?

I would definitely have it checked at the vet. Lyme disease can be successfully treated, especially when it is caught early.

Good luck!

Old 24th June 2007, 10:22 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks - I'm taking her in tomorrow morning first thing. When you say "can be" I'm assuming with a pretty high cure rate? Hopefully?

Old 25th June 2007, 06:01 AM
Boxer Insane

Lyme is highly treatable in dogs, in fact only a small percent of dogs with Lyme every develop any symptoms. A bull's-eye rash is not typical of Lyme with dogs, though, as it is with humans. Here's a good article about Lyme in dogs:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_lyme_disease.html

The bull's eye may be folliculitis, an insect bite, or ringworm (or something else entirely!).