Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 13th August 2001, 09:01 AM
Boxer Buddy

Spine Problem

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on my problem with Titan. He's only 8 months old, and I'm starting to have health issues. I had him in a fenced in side of the house one day that has shade, but minimal. I went to work. As I returned I noticed he was moving slowly, and generally in a state of "depression." He usually seems like the most hyper dog in the planet, but not this day. I also noticed that when I moved him in certain positions he would cry. For example, he was sitting and tried to lay down. As he rested his head to the floor he cried. He had very minimal movement with his head. The problem has happened more than once, this is the second time. The first time he had joint problems I took him to the vet. She injected him with anti-inflammatory medication. He got better within that first day. Now it happened again, so we had x-rays done and blood work. The vet said two verterbraes in his neck are a little bit too close together. Titan would cry everytime the vet would twist his neck to the side. She also said he had a mild case of anemia. She gave me iron supplements and anti-inflammatory pills. I'm worried that this will keep happening in the future. Is the medication only temporary? Has anyone experienced this issue? Is surgery required? I hate too see him go through this pain. I loved it when he used to run across the house in two seconds flat. The vet also said that he might have hurt his spine being to active. I told her, yep, this dog can truly FLY.
Sponsored Links

Old 13th August 2001, 02:31 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I am so sorry to hear about your puppy, I hope my story will help you a bit.

We have gone through a similar issue with our two boxers, Tegan and Owen. Tegan is currently four years old and for the past 8 months we have been batteling a bad spine. The symptoms that you described are exactly what Tegan displayed one day after work. We came home and she was unable to move her back legs, she could not walk very well, she was in extreme pain when she tried to sit or lie down,...

We took her to the vet and she was immediatley put on pain killers and a muscle relaxing meds to ease her pain. We did x-rays and she had what looked like a slipped disk in her lower back. We left her on the meds for about a week hoping that everything would move back into place on it's own, but it didn't.

We took her back into the vet and we were left with two options, surgery (very expensive, and not 100% guranteed) or chiropractic work. We of course chose chirporactic work first. We found a human chiropractor that has been working on dogs for a while and was willing to take on Tegan's case (this was to be his most challenging case ever). After the fist exam with him is was determined that Tegan had two vertabrae that has actually fused together at the base of her spine that was put extra presure on the rest of her back, that's why she had slipped a disk in her back. The fusion had also pinched a nerve in her back that was causing pain. We also found out that the reason for Tegan's vertabrae to fuse was genetics (we later found out that Owen, Tgan's nephew, has the same problem.

To make a long story short, we started Tegan on the chiro sessions, we went twice a week for a month, and now 8 months later we are going once a month as a preventative measure. She is now able to run and play almost as hard as she did in the past!

I have also increased Tegan and Owen's diet with essential fatty acids that help their backs.

I truly beleive that the chiroprator saved Tegan from surgery.
Payton 7/18/04 AGN.J, AGN, SGDC, ADC, AADC

Old 14th August 2001, 08:33 AM
Boxer Buddy

Thank You for the info Kysha. I am so happy to hear your Tegan is better now. I hope his improvement will stay with him forever.

Old 14th August 2001, 08:35 AM
Boxer Buddy

I'm sorry Kysha I meant to say, I hope HER improvements will stay with HER forever.