Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th June 2007, 08:33 AM
Boxer Booster

Unhappy HELP: Suddenly my dog can't walk

We woke up this morning to my oldest boxer (6 yrs) not being able to use her back legs. She can't get up and she has to have our support just to stand. It looks like it may just be one of her hind legs. Our youngest boxer (2 yrs) is also limping around and is having trouble standing. Our guess is that when they were playing they strained something, but it's weird that both of them are having problems. Any ideas??? We are taking them to the vet, but just wanted to get feedback from others. I appreciate the help.

Old 10th June 2007, 08:44 AM
Boxer Insane

Re: HELP: Suddenly my dog can't walk

Is it possible they could both have eaten something? I just find it very strange they are both limping. Please get them to the vets asap and let us know how you get on
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued

Old 10th June 2007, 09:45 AM
Boxer Pal

Oh my goodness! We had a similar incident with our first boxer when he was 8 years old. He had a recurring problem with his anal glands so we were on our way to the vet and he jumped out of the back of our Durango and he yelped a little bit but we thought his bum was hurting so we didn't think much about it at the time. Well the vet expressed his glands and we went home. Everything seemed fine until the next morning when he was totally paralyzed at his hind legs. We were sooo scared. We called the vet and he came to our house on a Sunday morning and gave him some shots and took him to his office. I know this is long but they kept him and took xrays and ran tests to reveal that he had calcification(calcium build up) between his vertebraes and I guess he aggravated some of it when he jumped out of my truck. They treated him with steroid shots and prednisone pills. The vet suggested we take him home after a couple of days because he was so homesick but he was still paralyzed. I took off work and took care of him for almost a week. We used a rolled up bath towel to hold up his back end to help him go to the bathroom outside. Not an easy task considering he weighed 85 lbs at the time. Eventually after a month or more he slowly regained his use of his hind legs and he lived a pretty normal life for another year until he got sick and we had to let him go to doggie heaven. Once he was better he was not allowed to jump or use stairs so we built him a ramp to go out in the backyard. Sorry such a long reply. Please keep us posted on your baby.

Old 10th June 2007, 03:26 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Re: HELP: Suddenly my dog can't walk

I saw something on the E-Vet Interns show (on Animal Planet) where this Chow came into contact with raccoon saliva. And there is apparently something in raccoon saliva that causes temporary paralysis. I can't remember the exact name of the condition. It's Coonhound something or other. Do you live around anywhere that they could have come into contact with wild raccoons at all??

Old 11th June 2007, 04:01 PM
Boxer Buddy

I saw the E-vet interns show too and that is immediately what I thought of when I read your post. I googled it and found an article that has some more information that might help you to figure out if that's what may be wrong with your babies. Here is the link: http://www.bobmckee.com/Client%20Inf...oneuritis.html

Good luck and I hope your babies get better soon.
Champ - 11/93 – 11/04
George - 11/04 – 11/05

Old 12th June 2007, 06:17 AM
Super Boxer

Are ticks and lyme disease an issue where you live? When I lived in NY, that happened to a friend's rottie and it turned out to be lyme disease. She was treated for that with antibiotics and was fine.

Marilyn
2 Bostons, chihuahua, mini schnauzer and 4 birds.

Old 12th June 2007, 07:34 AM
Boxer Booster

I had a border collie and this happened to him as well. It was tick related (lyme disease), they treated him and he was fine after that.

Old 12th June 2007, 09:50 AM
Super Boxer

how are they????????

Old 12th June 2007, 09:55 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

hoping they are fine, give us an update when possible...
everyones adopted Warrior Princess JOSI 7.08.08

Old 12th June 2007, 02:01 PM
Boxer Insane

How are they?

Old 24th June 2007, 02:38 PM
Boxer Pal

Please give us an update on your babies!!!