Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:42 AM
Boxer Pal

Question Twitches a lot..when sleeping

I have bee paying special attention to my little guy, now almost 5 months old. I noticed that he does twitch a lot when he sleeps..I know that this is probably normal, but it does get quite intence.. Can anyone shed some light on this for me....

Thanks Tiggers Dad
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd April 2007, 10:58 AM
Boxer Pal

Re: Twitches a lot..when sleeping

Hey Trigger and his dad!

My 2 both do it. Lucy is about 4 1/2 years old and her "fits" are far less frequent. Hers are mostly just a little twitching and very soft yelping.

Lola is about 10 months and hers are much more often and much more intense. She kicks and flails and yelps a decent bit louder. She actually growls a bit too!

I have heard that it may have something to do with the fact that the neural pathway in puppies are not as advanced and well connected as their adult counterparts, but I'm not sure how valid that is. Either way, it sure sounds good. I have yet to find a problem with their little episodes, though.

JT

Old 2nd April 2007, 01:01 PM
Boxer Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGatorDad View Post

I have heard that it may have something to do with the fact that the neural pathway in puppies are not as advanced and well connected as their adult counterparts, but I'm not sure how valid that is. Either way, it sure sounds good. I have yet to find a problem with their little episodes, though.

JT
I've also read the same in many boxer books. That it's normal for a puppy to twitch in their sleep because they are developing their neuralogical something or other. Shasta does it all the time (6 months) though I see as her dreaming of casing the ball or playing. :0)

Old 2nd April 2007, 07:52 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Josi still does this and she is 8, so what does that mean?

Old 2nd April 2007, 08:39 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Both of ours do this too, Leila much more than Rugby and she is older. Go figure. Come to think of it so does DH.

Old 3rd April 2007, 06:17 AM
Boxer Pal

My 4 1/2 year old still does it too. It does not mean anything is wrong. I just said that puppies usually do it more frequently because their neural pathways are not as well developed as adult dogs. This is what I have heard anyway. I'm not positive that it is factual, but it seems like at least a reasonable explanation.

Old 3rd April 2007, 08:18 AM
Boxer Booster

Millie is 11 weeks and does that. I didn't know that it was neurological development; I always thought she was dreaming! (I learn something new everyday here!) Anyway, regardless of why she does it, it's darn cute!
Gary - 10/05 - Orange tabby cat

Old 3rd April 2007, 10:05 AM
Boxer Booster

Jakey only ever did the slight twiching and quiet barking as if he was dreaming of chasing something or playing with something/someone. Harley on the other hand, when he was just a wee pup, he would twich up a storm. You'd almost think he was going to twich himself right off the couch, I would say it was more big kicks than twiches- it would be almost his whole body twiching to the point where you'd think he was having a seizure. Now, at 8 months, he only does the regular little paw twiches and little grumbles and whimpers.
Bailey: Kitty 02/12/04

Old 3rd April 2007, 03:31 PM
Boxer Pal

Yeah, I find it to be very adorable! My little girl has gotten going so fierce in the past that she actually has fallen off the sofa. It makes for some very entertaining times!

Old 3rd April 2007, 08:12 PM
Boxer Insane

Chief does this EVERY time he naps!!! His tongue flops out, his eyes roll back (while open) and he twitches like crazy! To be quite honest, he kind of reminds me of the exorcist (if his head spun around!) But it's his thing; and I have to say, the more I see it, the more I crack right up!!!

Old 4th April 2007, 10:06 AM
Boxer Booster

Millie does this too and she is 15 weeks! I read about it so I was never worried, but when people come over they always comment on it. My boyfriend's mom thought there was something wrong with her! Of course, the kidney bean dance freaked her out too, so that's not saying much :P