Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2007, 05:45 PM
Boxer Booster

Skin on inside of ear turning black?

Rocko is 7 months old and has cropped ears. Up until recently we have been spending the last few weeks using the nasal strips and skin bond on just the tips of his ears to help the tips stand correctly. This worked great, and we just removed the last strips about 4 days ago. His ears look great, and it seems we are done posting.

Yesterday I noticed that the pink colored skin on his inner ear looked a little dark, almost like it was smeared with dirt. I tried to wipe it off, but couldn't get it to budge. Today I looked more closely and noticed that both of his ears have this dark gray/black looking areas on them, but it is not dirt, and is not a stain. His inner ear skin is actually turning dark toward the base and all around the edges from top to bottom. Is this normal? He does have darker hair on the outside of his ears. Or is this something I should be worried about? He is otherwise in very good health, and acting perfectly normal.

Old 13th March 2007, 06:19 PM
Boxer Booster

Re: Skin on inside of ear turning black?

It seems also that his nipples are darkening and the skin on his lower stomach is darkening, as well as the skin around his anus. Basically, all skin that is usually pink.

Old 19th March 2007, 07:33 AM
Boxer Pal

Have you have any luck on figuring this problem out?? Out boxer Kona was born July 24th (just about a month older than your guy) and I have noticed the same thing on him in the past week or so. He was floppy ears but I've noticed the darkening inside his ears, on the back of his legs, by his butt and on his belly. It does not wash off. What is this??? Just wondering if you got any answers?? Kona is going to the vet on Thursday to get neutered so were gonna ask about it, but it has been worrying me.

Old 19th March 2007, 08:03 AM
Boxer Insane

a girlfriend of mine said her dog (not boxer though) is a compulsive licker. she didn't start this way, but her vet said those areas she constantly licks have turned dark b/c she is "over-cleaning."

mine are a little dark on their hind legs (inside) and on their bums-- they do lick/clean, but not obsessively... it is the same thing though, where it cannot be rubbed off... she also said it could be b/c of allergies, but i would definitely ask your vet to be sure. the licking could be b/c they itch or "hurt" in one way or another. i hope this helps a little bit... let us know what you find out though.

Old 19th March 2007, 02:25 PM
Boxer Booster

I'm still not sure what caused it. I honestly don't know if it is a normal hormonal change or if it might be an allergy. At the time it started, Rocko seemed itchier than normal, but he was not licking himself. He would just kick his leg a lot whenever we tried to pet or scratch him anywhere, as if he was really itchy in that spot. But he never scratched or licked himself much. I did a thourough search all over his skin for parasites, but didn't find any evidence. I've never seen one flea on him. The itching seems to have subsided, and the dark areas are still dark, so I don't know. I did a lot of searching on the internet, but couldn't come up with anything, especially for a dog this young. He isn't losing his hair, and he doesn't have red spots or bumps, so I'm stumped. Anyway, he seems healthy and happy, so I guess he just won't have a cute pink belly anymore.

Old 22nd March 2007, 01:29 PM
Boxer Pal

Well, Kona was at the vet today. The neutering went well. I was so worried about the little guy. He seems unphased though. In any event, the vet said the darkening of the skin is just a natural change in his pigmentation. He said it may get lighter and darker naturally throughout his life. The vet has seen it before in boxers, but not all. He's not sure why some change and some don't, maybe environmental. Most importantly, he ruled out any negative skin conditions so generally the darkening of the skin should be nothing to worry about.