Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2007, 01:53 PM
Boxer Buddy

Lump by the bum...?

I took my Boxer out for her morning pee and I noticed a lump right beside her "rear vent". The lump is about the size of a large grape. It was not there last night. It is strange to have swollen up that fast over night. My dog has not been bothered by it at all. She is not licking it, she hasn't even noticed it is there.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Old 5th March 2007, 02:12 PM
Elusive Moderator

Re: Lump by the bum...?

Sounds as though it could be an abcessed anal gland. Some information about anal glands and the various problems that can arise here: http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=510

Another possible explanation may be a perianal tumour or hernia. Those are far more common in un-neutered males, but it's still a possibility. Best thing is to let a vet take a look.

Old 5th March 2007, 02:54 PM
Boxer Buddy

Thank you gmacleod.

That was an informative website. Poor Brina has an appointment with the vet at 1630 tomorrow. I will post the results.

Thanks,

Old 5th March 2007, 03:07 PM
Boxer Buddy

Ummmm, okay, so now Brina was sitting on the floor and she noticed that something near her bum just wasn't right. So, she licked it and it popped. A white goo came out and then came the blood. Quite a bit of it. The swelling is gone and I cleaned her up. I feel like I am going to vomit after cleaning that up.

Old 5th March 2007, 03:10 PM
Elusive Moderator

Ewww. It does rather sound as though it was an abcess though - which, having now exploded, would need cleaning. Probably best to do the vet visit still though, just in case anything else is required there (or any damage was done).

Old 5th March 2007, 03:16 PM
Boxer Buddy

You bet. We are still going to take her to the vet just to be safe.

Old 5th March 2007, 03:28 PM
Super Boxer

How did the vet go? Stella had something similar in the same place! All of a sudden, she had a huge bump - it was about the size of a blueberry. The vet aspirated it and did a cytology on it. I'm not much help because I can't remember what it was called!!! But everything turned out okay - I'm glad you're going in just to be safe.

Old 5th March 2007, 03:37 PM
Boxer Buddy

We have the appointment tomorrow Stella, I will be sure to let everybody know how she makes out.

(I am glad that thing didn't pop when she jumped into bed with me this morning!)

edited for spelling

Old 11th March 2007, 11:37 AM
Boxer Buddy

Update...

It was an abcessed anal gland. The doctor put on some rubber gloves and went to work. She squeezed and drained that gland. It was very discusting, but even worse, it was VERY painful for my poor Brina. I held Brina and talked to her the whole time the vet was at work. My dog was whimpering and very unhappy.

Brina is on antibiotics for 10 days and will go back to the vet for a follow up next week. The vet told me that Brina should lose about 5 lbs and have more fiber in her diet. The vet told me to put 2 table spoons of raw canned pumpkin (NO addivites) in her food everyday and that will be enough fibre for her.

Brina is doing very well now.

Old 12th March 2007, 06:05 PM
Super Boxer

Oh, I'm so glad your baby is on the mend...but so sorry she had to go through that trauma. They never like anyone near that area - that little stump just clamps right down!

Old 22nd March 2007, 05:53 PM
Boxer Pal

Red face Re: Lump by the bum...?

I'm going through this anal gland problem with my female boxer...she has been fine and then on Tuesday she went to the bathroom came in the house and wouldn't stop licking...needless to say i lifted her tail and it was swollen and oozing...gross...so we went to an emergency animal hosptial b/c ours was closed...they squeezed it and gave us some meds and told us to see our regular vet..just got home awhile ago and the vet examined her and said the gland is still swollen and they want us to bring her back in the morning to give the gland a good cleaning and hopefully all will be well..i feel awful to put her through this but (no pun intended) hopefully this will work..i'll keep you posted..