Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2001, 09:24 AM
Super Boxer

Unhappy eye discharge!!!

hi gang,
cola has had ever since she was a baby some eye boogers (if you will) in the morning when she wakes up and sometimes thru out the day. to make a long story short - lately she has had an increase in her left eye of discharge (boogers) but her eye doesn't appear to bother her, she seems to see ok and the discharge is the same color as the other eye just in abundance. do you think she has an infection or something in her eye what should i do??? i need your help please, i called her vet and they said they can't say anything without seeing her?!!! OF COURSE! whatelse is new and i don't have $90,000 to put out for nothing. should i be concerned??? she had some antibotics left over from her last visit so i am going to let her finish those......hhhheeeelllppppp!!!!

Cola ~ fawn with black mask docked tail and natural ears d/o/b:feb 23rd, 2001 ~ mommy's girl
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd August 2001, 09:53 AM
Boxer Buddy

I would highly recommend taking her to the vet if you're that concerned. Chances are, they'll be able to tell right away if there's something wrong. If you don't take care of it, and it is something serious just think of the vet bills if she looses her eye! Use a little preventative medicine just as you would for your own health.

It's kinda gross, but do the boogies smell? Infections usually have an odor. If not, maybe she got something in her eye that she can't "flush out" on her own.

I'm not a vet, but I'm trying to give common sense advice.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 2nd August 2001, 10:09 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Is it REALLY a lot of discharge or just a little more than the other eye? Legend has eye gunk when he starts to get sleepy, but when he gets up in the morning he's got a LOT of it. I just wipe it away and he's good to go.

Is her eye puffy or red or anything? If not, I'd say its just that she has a lot of eye boogers.

You'd still be better off taking her to get checked out to make sure.

Good luck to you and cola!

Old 2nd August 2001, 10:46 AM
Sandi

Both of mine seem to have alot of discharge..
Baxter more than Bella...

Neither have an odor, at the time of discharge and really have no color (unless they've played hard outside)

Now if I don't wipe their faces (daily) Baxters will get trapped in the folds under his eyes and begin to smell.

I use baby wipes on their faces.. careful not to get a corner in their eyes. its anti-bacterial and large enough to wipe both babies and throw away. leaves them smelling baby fresh too

I do this every morning, after they've done their business and played a bit outside.

i have noticed that they have a bit more discharge this spring/summer than in the winter.. could be all the pollens/allergens in the air.

Old 2nd August 2001, 11:10 AM
Super Boxer

Two victims of eye boogers

Sophia and Dani both suffered from eye boogers. We quickly learned to keep a rag around to wipe both faces before the boogers ended up on your nice slacks...of course there were those remote times when we weren't quick enough... This is a common symptom of allergies. Sophia took Benadryl and Dani takes Claritin Reditabs.

It's probably not serious, but if you're that concerned about Cola, I'd at least make a call to her vet.

Cheers,

Old 2nd August 2001, 11:21 AM
Boxer Pal

Wink Dr said it was Allerges

Hear your problem and understand. Took Xena to the vet and asked about the (boogers) he mentioned that it is a possible allergic reaction to something. Told me to start with food, then move on to the outside(shampoo, flea & tick med.). Hope this will help you, still might try to go to the vet could be something different.

Old 2nd August 2001, 12:50 PM
Boxer Insane

My favorite is when they shake and the boogers fling onto the wall and dry there, having better adhesion then crazy glue! We all have occasional eye boogers. Since I get them myself sometimes, I never gave it much thought!!
Clare - Mutt

Old 2nd August 2001, 01:25 PM
Boxer Booster

their are many things that can be causing the discharge in her eye, the vet can't diagnose something without looking at it to see what it is. So they can prescribe the appropriate medications. If you are worried about vet bills maybe you should look into pet insurance, I know it won't take care of breed related problems, but in an emergency it could save you alot of money.

Old 2nd August 2001, 01:27 PM
Boxer Booster

I had an opthamologist tell me to rinse my dogs eyes with saline every night before bed. it helps lubricate the eye and wash out all the boogers. my boy doesn't have a big problem with boogers any more.

Old 2nd August 2001, 01:30 PM
Boxer Booster

I think boxers have goopy eyes because they are so large, it is easy for dust and pollen to get in there.

Old 2nd August 2001, 02:22 PM
Your Friendly Moderator

As long as the eye discharge is clear or opaque, it should be ok. If the discharge is greenish or yellowish in color, take the dog to the vet as soon as possible.

It is possible that she has some sort of eye irritation on the one eye, causing more of a discharge than normal. I too use saline solution, usually when we come home from a long play session (to flush allergins from they eyes, pollen, etc.,) and before bed if there has been more discharge than normal, to clear the eyes before bed time.

My girls always wait until I get up in the morning, and while I'm in the bathroom, they wipe their own eye boogers on my pillow !!! Yuk!! And then they look at me so proud, like "aren't we good girls to clean our own eyes !!! Where's my treat?"

Good luck.

Old 2nd August 2001, 02:35 PM
Super Boxer

thanks guys, i don't remember her eye boogers being greenish or yellowish maybe off white i guess that's opaque huh tulsa dan?? i never thought of allergies? i will continue to watch it. i will take her to the vet if i am that concerned but i am a new mommy and don't know the tricks and the trades of boxers ailments......when i went home for lunch there was just a little bit of gook in her eye..i will get some saline and wash her eye out tonight.