Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 14th January 2007, 07:56 PM
Boxer Pal

Is Wheat Germ bad for dogs

hi everyone.

i was told that if you give your dog wheat germ in their food it will help make their coat very beautiful. but i want to make sure it is not bad for him in ay way. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
Sponsored Links

Old 15th January 2007, 03:40 AM
Elusive Moderator

Re: Is Wheat Germ bad for dogs

Wheat germ is something I'd go easy with. Wheat is a food item that very frequently causes allergy problems for dogs. The problem is that it's a gluten. Just because it's common doesn't mean that every dog will have a problem, of course. But I would still avoid giving it frequently (it's constant exposure that usually leads to allergies).

The value in wheat germ is that it is high in Vit E. So an alternative source of that vitamin would likely bring similar effects (it's always better via food than as a supplement). Other things good for the coats include flaxseed, fish oils, and eggs (in moderation, of course).

Old 15th January 2007, 04:43 PM
Boxer Pal

what would be a good amount to give him of these alternatives?

Old 15th January 2007, 04:49 PM
Elusive Moderator

Just a tablespoon of oil at a time, 2-3 times a week. You could alternate between flaxseed oil and fish oil for that. Eggs - one or two a week (not more than 2 though). Eggs can be raw or lightly cooked, whichever you're more comfortable with

Old 15th January 2007, 06:11 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My dog is 8 months old and seems to have constant pimples on his back. I gave him fish oil (Lipiderm) for about 2 months, it helped a little bit. Now I have found cold pressed oil consisted of flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, wheatgerm oil and shark liver oil, Australian brand. He has been on for two weeks and his coat looks much better. After reading your post I am not sure if I am doing the right thing. I don't want to give him too much of something and it is bad for him.
The brand is called Vet's all natural. http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/products.html
What do you think?
Thanks

Old 16th January 2007, 03:08 AM
Elusive Moderator

I think it's fine As above, wheat may be a common allergy-causing food item, but not every dog suffers allergies - and if yours doesn't, he doesn't.

I just wouldn't give it daily, is all. 2-3 times a week would be quite sufficient, and help to diminish the "constant exposure" factor that so often leads to allergies. And if those oils happened to come separately, I'd probably choose to buy them separately and rotate between them (thereby further diminishing the "constant exposure" thing).

Old 16th January 2007, 04:37 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

thanks, I will try to find each of them separately.

Old 16th January 2007, 05:36 PM
Boxer Pal

thank you guys for all of your help.