Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2007, 11:43 AM
Boxer Booster

Kidney Levels Too High: What does it mean?

Remy came back from the vet after being spayed. Before the surgery they did a blood screen to check kidney, liver and other levels. They said the normal kidney value is 1.4 and Remy's was 1.9. The vet tech said the Dr. wasn't too concerned and went ahead with the surgery, but we have to have the levels re-checked next month. I tried to ask what this meant and the tech kept repeating that I should have her tested again in a month to see if it goes down.

What does an elevated kidney level mean? How serious is it? Should I be out of my mind with worry? And why would the level go down? As far as I know Remy does not exhibit any abnormal symptoms that would relate to kidney issues.
and of course Jared and Kyah
Sponsored Links

Old 11th January 2007, 08:38 AM
Boxer Insane

Re: Kidney Levels Too High: What does it mean?

I assume this was creatine levels? What was the BUN level? That doesn't sound like you should worry at this time, but I'd definitely get another blood test done in 6 months. Usually elevated creatinine levels are worrisome for older dogs anyway.

Old 11th January 2007, 11:28 AM
Boxer Insane

Also, the elevated level could just be the result of her fasting before her surgery. In fact, that's probably it.

Old 11th January 2007, 03:44 PM
Boxer Booster

Thanks Kpowell, they did not say what the BUN level was, and I did not know enough to ask. I have made an appointment for another check in one month at their suggestion. Your theory about the levels being related to fasting have put my mind at ease, for now. Thanks again

Old 12th January 2007, 06:19 AM
Boxer Insane

You're welcome. My angel, Sam, who died at 16 1/2, had chronic kidney failure for his last 3 1/2 years. Thanks to my vet, who doesn't mind clients who ask questions and bring him information, we caught it very early and started treatment right away. It is not the automatic death sentence it was even just a couple of years ago, especially if you catch it really early. That's why it's so important to have blood tests on senior dogs every six months.