Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2006, 01:13 PM
Boxer Insane

Exclamation Bumps ALL OVER, not itchy, dog seems fine!

Ok, I've uploaded a photo, but it may take a while to appear.

One or two "bumps" appeared on Biff's back a couple of days ago, but tonight they have apeeared ALL OVER his body and legs.

When I say "bumps", I can't be sure if they are actually raised skin, or just fur.
I know this sounds strange but really it looks like tufts of hair sticking up all over the place.

We haven't changed his food recently, not shampooed him for ages, not used any unusual household cleaning products.

Biff is totally unaffected by them, not itching or off his food or lethargic at all, but they are so scarey looking!

Anyone had something similar?
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued
Sponsored Links

Old 2nd December 2006, 01:18 PM
Boxer Insane

Foreman had those our vet said it was hives he would get them if he got bit by a mosquito, could your dog have a bug bite she told me to give him a benedryl They went away after 24 hours or so.

Old 2nd December 2006, 01:36 PM
Boxer Insane

Is the benedryl you mention the kind you get for humans - for hay fever etc?

Or is it a special form for dogs?

Old 2nd December 2006, 01:48 PM
Elusive Moderator

It looks live huge hives - most likely some sort of allergic reaction, possibly to bug bites (is there anything he might be getting into outside?).

As for the benedryl - be careful. What is recommended by people in the US is not necessarily the same as you get in the UK. Well, it simply isn't the same. And it's worth noting that in some other countries around the world, what is sold under the name "Benedryl" isn't even antihistamine, it's cough syrup/expectorant (I'd hate to see someone try giving their dog some of those formulas).

Anyway, what you're actually being recommended (ignore the brand name) is the antihistamine diphenhydramine. That can be given to dogs in doses of 1mg per lb of body weight.

Well, the only one of the 5 different forms of benedryl in the UK using that active ingredient is a topical cream. The other four are using either acrivastine or cetirizine. I believe cetirizine can be given to dogs, but I have no idea of the doseage. I have no idea whether it is safe to give Acrivistine, or if it's toxic (so I wouldn't suggest giving it unless you do know).

My suggestion would be to go to a pharmacy, and ask for an antihistamine using diphenhydramine (only). Or alternatively, phone your vet and ask about cetirizine, and the safe doseage.

Old 2nd December 2006, 01:57 PM
Boxer Insane

Haven't put up a christmas tree lately have you?

Old 2nd December 2006, 02:03 PM
Boxer Insane

I was on the hunt for diphenhydramine in the summer for Dino and the product which only contained diphenhydramine was Nytol which we would buy to help us sleep - the pharmacist explained that diphenhydramine is an old fashioned form of antihistimine which is not as common now as there are better types which don't make us drowsy. Dino was on Nytol during the summer with no ill effects.

Biff's bumps look just like Sophie's when she got stung - hope he's on the mend soon - poor wee soul!

Old 2nd December 2006, 02:24 PM
Boxer Insane

Oh Barbara, poor Biff, at least they're not bothering him.
When Lola got stung last summer she had a huge egg like lump appear, only the one thankfully. I rang my vet and he said she could have cetirizine. Sorry I can't remember the dosage though

Let us know what you do & if they go down.
Sending healing vibes & hugs to you & Biff.

What would we do without Boxerworld and the expert advice?

Old 2nd December 2006, 07:18 PM
Boxer Insane

Bubbie had an allergic reaction to a bee sting last summer, but he didn't look this bad. I would take him to the vet and let them give him a shot. Good luck!

Old 3rd December 2006, 01:25 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
Haven't put up a christmas tree lately have you?
Not yet, and we haven't changed any products either.

However, I 'phoned the emergency vet last night, who explained that allergies don't always come with a new product, but indeed dogs and humans can BECOME allergic to something they've been using for years. He explained how common allergies are in short haired breeds, and said as long as he wasn't acting ill or lethargic, they should subside on their own although it could take a couple of days. He also said to keep checking his gums, as if they went pale, it could be a sign of his blood pressure dropping. I've hardly slept all night. Poor Biff is wondering why I want to keep checking his gums!

I THINK they've gone down a bit overnight, though sometimes we see what we want to see, don't we?

Thanks for all your posts - what would we do without this wonderful forum?????

Thanks also for explaining about the Benedryl - I admit I was very wary of giving him anything without consulting the vet first. But I'll deffo look into the Nytol - it's good to have something on hand for situations like this.

If they don't get any better tday, I'll take him to the emergency vet, and let you know how I get on

Old 3rd December 2006, 11:19 AM
Boxer Booster

Did your pup get vaccinations lately? Sasha is allergic to Lepto and breaks out in hives when she gets her shots. We don't live in an area where that is really necessary so she doesn't get it anymore. We keep Benadryl on hand at our house at all times

Old 4th December 2006, 06:51 AM
Boxer Insane

No vaccinations lately, in fact it has been a complete mystery, and a very scarey experience I can tell you. He was COVERED in those bumps in the space of an hour!

Good news is that the hives all disappeared within 24 hours, without giving him anything.

I spoke with the breeder who has kept two of Biff's brothers (and they both qualified for Crufts btw )

She recommends Piraton (child allergy relief), so I will be looking into the ingredients in that, just in case we have a recurrence.

Thanks again for all your help, BW is the best!

Old 4th December 2006, 07:01 AM
Boxer Insane

That's good news - I'd been wondering how the wee man was!