Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2001, 11:00 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy epilepsy and seizures

hi this is Teri in Texas my 8 year old boxer girl has epilepsy was just looking for some one that might share in this problem.the vet haas her on medication but would like to talk about what to exspect next or know if there is any thing eles i can do to help her

Old 12th July 2001, 11:58 AM
Boxer Pal

thank you Jean

Jean they gave her phenobarbital we just started it to day. so I am watching her very closley i just hope it helps her should know in a day or two. did i reply to this in the right place i hope so if not plz let me know thank you from Teri in Texas.

Old 18th August 2001, 08:05 PM
Boxer Pal

Hi Teri & Jean

I just read this and wanted to ask if they put your dogs on any other "drug"? Dali was diagnosed with epilepsy in January. It was quite scary at first, she had 2 small seizures and then a great big one that we had to rush her to the animal hospital.

They have her on Phenobarbital ; 180mg (3pills) in the morning and 120mg (2pills) in the evening and 3cc. of potassium bromide every evening.

She was then diagnosed with a thyroid problem in February. So she takes Eltroxin. 2 pills every morning and evening.

She also has allergies and takes Vanectyl P. 2 pills every morning and evening.

Because of the Vanectyl P the other drugs need to be at a higher quantity... They told us that this is reducing her life expectancy. She's only 2 1/2 and we worry every time she has a seizure. I really don't want to lose my baby.

Let me know if you've ever heard of any other drugs for epilepsy... and good luck Teri with your baby Bendew.

Mom to:
Dali~Fawn/Natural ears/Docked
Basse~Brindle/Natural ears/Docked
Both females born on December 23, 1999.

Old 19th August 2001, 02:41 AM
Boxer Insane

Hi Teri, when did she first have her first seizure, my vet told me when a dog starts having seizures when they are older like 7 or up it probably isn`t epilepsy but some other problem causing the same. Our Duke started having seizures at 11 the diagnosis was a brain tumor, the meds were the same, pheno and valium when he got worse. It may be worth it if you could get a CAT scan or a MRI so they could determine the cause. I only say this because I waited too long and didn`t have either because he got too weak to transport, I will always wonder if the tumor may have been able to be operated on if I had done so.

Jake & Maggie 9-19-01 Brandi 8-7-98 to 12-18-09 Caesar 8-7-98 to 9-11-05
Duke 4-15-88 to 12-10-99 & Dutch 1-30-88 to 9-5-98

Old 19th August 2001, 08:53 AM
Boxer Pal

she is doing good

Hi this is Teri and Bendew the vet put her on phinobarb 32.5 mg tab 1 and a half pills tow times a day we tried to lower it but she got worse so he had us up it again, it is like clock work to give it to her .she knowes when it is time ,we got her at the local shelter 7 mons a go and i guess she had been having them all a long , she is 8 years old.on the meds she does good.he said we might have to up the dose as we go but what ever it takes to give her a good life.thanks Teri

Old 19th August 2001, 08:34 PM
Boxer Pal

Thanks Jean,

We read the old thread and found a great web page. We will be discussing some other posibilities with our vet within the next couple of weeks. Dali hasn't had a seizure since July 22... she usually had them every 2-3 weeks, this has been the longest since January. (keeping our fingers crossed, that we got the right dosage)
Thanks for your help, will keep you posted. (oh, and Dali gives you a big smooch too!)

Old 20th September 2001, 09:35 PM
Boxer Pal

My male boxer Todd had his forth birthday (same day as me) tonight. My wife and I had pizza and he and our female Sally had bones. His forth birthday is not ending to well. I have never seen a seizure, and he had a pretty good one. Luckily for us, our neighbors had experience with this and got Todd through it. My wife is not doing to well. She works full time and I am Air Force and because of the WTC bombing, leaving on Saturday for who knows how long. My question is this. Our dogs are inseperable, but my wife works full time. I guess thats not a question, I just needed to vent. What have people out their done in this situation? Anything info would help. Thank you.

Old 20th September 2001, 10:26 PM
Boxer Pal

when i was a child in the '80's we had a boxer that had seizures and they also put him on phenobarbital he took 4 pills a day from the time he was 1 yr old until we had to have him put to sleep when he was 13...he lived a good long healthy life...now that i'm older and have boxers of my own i can see how the medicine really kept him very calm my boxers are so hyper hahaha...he too must have had thyroid problems, this i've discovered in hind sight because he weighed 150lbs when we had him put down...
i'm very surprised that after 20 some yrs that phenobarbital is still what they use for this illness...
please know we are very proud of you going off to defend our country and i'm sure i speak for everyone here at boxerworld that if your wife needs anything while you're away all she need do is ask and if anyone's able to help we sure will..
keep your chin up and we will all be saying prayers for you and you'll be back home safe and sound with your wife, furbabies, and the people here at boxerworld...god bless you and the USA

Old 29th October 2001, 12:33 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy

I wrote in about a month ago on this subject and things are worse. I was immediately sent to the Middle East to help fight in Enduring Freedom, and returned last Thursday. Todd had a weekend of seizures (8 total that we know of in 3 days) and is in the hospital right now. Our vet is recommending we put him down. This is tearing us apart but we cannot handle him alone. With me on alert to leave again and my wife's career so demanding in Philidelphia, we cannot be home to monitor him. Our vets fear is that he has a bad one when we are not here. Is there anybody out there who could help our Todd and give him the kind of home and attention he needs. When he is not seizuring, he is normal and that is what hurts the worse. I know this is a long shot, but if someone is interested in him by Wednesday 31 Oct 01, please e-mail cardioqueen24@home.com or call us in New Jersey (609) 723-2755. Thank you.

James and Amanda

Old 30th October 2001, 09:32 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile

I felt the same way about our little man. With that, I got the opinion of a few more vets and Todd is NOT going to make that final trip to the vet tomorrow. We are still looking for a new home for him and his sister Sally (look at Photo Gallery for them) just because of our schedules at the attention they need. I feel a lot better about this decision and I started asking other vets mostly due to Jean's response back to me. Thanks a lot.
James and Amanda

Todd thanks you also!!

Old 7th December 2001, 02:39 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy

Our little boy Todd died this morning. We decided to end his suffering and day in day out of cluster seizures with no relief from medication over any long term. I appreciate all the advise given on this forum and am glad that before I go to the Middle East again in a few days, that I was able to give him a few more months of love. My little boy will be missed.

Old 11th December 2001, 07:02 AM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy

It's been a few days now since Todd's passing and I'm trying to accept that he's gone. He was such a good boy and deserved the best life. We were able to heal his emotional scars but I guess there is only so much you can do with the physical stuff. We loved that little guy with all our heart and I'm on the brink of tears at a moments notice these days. Last Spring he was diagnosed with Neurological disease when his legs started to go through spells of paralysis. In September he had his first seizure that we know of. In October we rushed him to the vet because he had a cluster of eight in a 24 hour period. Over the last month or so he seemed to rapidly decline, losing motor coordination and vision. He lost about 7 lbs and just didn't act like our old spirited little guy. He slept a lot and would go through his good days. He seemed to lose interest in playing with his sister and was content to curl up in my lap for hours upon end. Then last Thursday he went through 5 cluster seizures in 24 hours. Medication was just not working and we were faced the worst decision that I've ever had to make. His blood work came back fine and our vet suspected an underlying cause. He was suffering and there was nothing we could do to make it better. His quality of life was very poor. We put him to rest on Friday and I dream about him being able to play freely but I still wish that I could have him whole again before all of this happened. From the moment James brought him home he was my baby. He'd walk by and all of the sudden decide it was time for a kiss and of course we'd exchange several likely turning into a full body massage. Such a handsome boy and very lovable. He got the rotten end of the deal healthwise and god knows I would have put him on more medication if it would still have let him live happy. I miss all his little boxer faces, wiggles, stretches, yawns and playful gestures. We had the best 2 years together and he turned our house into a home and rounded out the family. Sally, his sister just lays here and looks for him in all his hiding places. She is very lonely and we are too. I know with time I will be able to accept that he is gone but it's so hard right now. Even though we were his second home I hope he choses us at the bridge because I will definitely be looking for him.