Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2006, 06:57 PM
Super Boxer

Emergency - swallowed toothpick

OK - this is NOT Morgan...thank GOD! We've been through enough w/ her...
Our friend's dog Gus - a 1 1/2 year old lab - grabbed some Duck off of Jaime's (my friend) plate and ate it...it had 1 or 2 toothpicks in it.
The toothpicks are wood and it happened appx. 45 minutes ago.
She called the ER vet - but they always say to bring them in...and I don't think even if they did do x-rays that wood would show up on them...I got a toothpick stuck in my foot (long story) and the doc said it wouldn't show cuz it was wood.
I mentioned to her the cotton ball in creamer thing that I have read on here for glass...but told her I didn't know if it was OK for toothpicks.
I told her to watch for blood in urine and poo and to watch for lethargy and white gums??? But I don't know what else to tell her.
Any advice please?!?!
Thanks!
Lisa

Old 23rd July 2006, 08:48 PM
Boxer Buddy

I dont understand why a tooth pick wouldnt show up on an xray as it is a solid object. Poor Gus hope everything turns out ok.

Old 24th July 2006, 09:32 AM
Super Boxer

ok - we REALLY need some advice now on what to watch for...any ideas from NE one??
AND - any advice in case this happens again as far as what to do immediately following the "swallowing of the toothpick(s)?"
Obviously it's been like 14 hours or so since I posted this, so I don't know if anything will help him now, but he is quite a naughty puppy...so I can imagine that he will be doing this again...

Old 24th July 2006, 09:48 AM
Super Boxer

I am really hoping that your baby chewed it up before swallowing . . . regardless, I would take him to the vet! I wouldn't wait another minute. I am too paranoid about my babies--I would be willing to pay an extra vet bill for a piece of mind. Your vet will be able to tell you what the risk is, what to watch for and the potential for further injury. (Also he would be able to tell you if the x-ray will show anything.)

I am so sorry--please let us know what happens.
Alfie & Muffin -- at the bridge