Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:27 PM
Boxer Insane

stuff in pee hole

Okay, this is sort of gross.

DH and I noticed a sort of yellowish discharge on Punchinella's pee hole. We are taking her to the vet Monday morning, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone has any ideas what this may be. We're thinking maybe some type of bladder or urinary tract infection...but we really don't know. Based on her age, we even considered this may be some type of pre-heat thing???

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:30 PM
Boxer Booster

Hmmm...it could be vaginitis. Mabel had this off and on for the first year. The vet prescribed antibiotics, and said she'd likely grow out of it. She did and hasn't had any episodes for the last three years.
Kasey - Weimaraner

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:31 PM
Boxer Insane

Any thoughts on what could have caused this? Thanks.

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:33 PM
Super Boxer

I think a tiny amount of discharge is normal. Normally you do not notice it because dogs are very quick to clean themselves. I see it on Wilma in the mornings some of the time. My vet said as long as it is not green looking, it is totally normal. I have also noticed this out of our male dog. Again, you do not notice it all the time because they are very clean with themselves. You do not notice any odor coming from down under do you? That I was told is also something to be concerned about.
You would probably feel beter coming from your own vet. It never hurts to get a professional opinion.
At the Bridge - Gaston and Loretta

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:36 PM
Super Boxer

Yup, sounds like vaginitis...

Does your girl pool urine at all? Liza does and I think that mixed with the fact that dogs lick one area and then another can give a nice place for bacteria to grow. Liza's is an intestinal bacteria...in case that gives you any ideas. Is your girl immune compromised? How old is she? It may be best to culture it so you know what antibiotic will kill it.

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:40 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Is your girl immune compromised? How old is she?
She's 5 months old. And no, she's not immune compromised, not that I'm aware of.

And I don't detect any odor.

Old 2nd July 2006, 07:53 PM
Super Boxer

It is normal for puppies to get vaginitis. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Something they usually grow out of. DO you feed any probiotics (yogurt, etc)? May be good for a developing immune system. My guess is your vet will probably want to put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic or leave it. Liza's breeder left it and now we have an awful mutated one though. So I don't think that is best. Best wishes...I am sure she will be fine.

Old 2nd July 2006, 08:47 PM
Boxer Insane

We do give her yogurt. It's probably nothing too serious, but we'll still see the vet just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all your responses.

Old 2nd July 2006, 09:32 PM
Boxer Insane

Samantha had the same discharge that you are speaking of and we took her to the vet only for this reason and the vet stated that it is completely normal for female puppies and it will go away once she was spayed. Everytime Samantha pee'd we would use baby wipes to clean her (because I felt it was better than her cleaning herself and the vet suggested to do that also) and ever since we had her spayed at 5 month's the discharge has never been back.

Good Luck and let us know what the vet says.

Syd - born 03/14/06
Male Brindle - Floppy & Docked

Last edited by MxRxSth; 2nd July 2006 at 09:34 PM.

Old 3rd July 2006, 01:41 AM
Boxer Insane

My Ruby had this, it was a sticky yellowish discharge. I took her to the vet and he said it was quite normal as long as it wasn't smelly or an odd colour. He said once she was spayed it would go, which it has. Angel my 5 month female also has it along with her brother Luka

Old 3rd July 2006, 06:05 PM
Boxer Insane

Just thought that I would check in to see how the vet visit went in regards to the discharge because I read that you made her an appointment for today. Hope all is well.

Old 3rd July 2006, 10:31 PM
Boxer Insane

update

Just an update...

We took her to the vet today. He said nothing to worry about, which some of you had already said He said it was completely normal, and should disappear after being spayed, which was, ironically enough, also done today. It appears to be nothing serious. Thank Heavens!