Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Dog Health issues and questions

Dog Health issues and questions Ask about cancer, mange, heart troubles...

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2001, 07:41 PM
Super Boxer

Unhappy hacking cough and spitting up

Hi ...

Princess has developed a yucky, hacking cough and has been spitting up when she coughs...We were at the vet yesterday and she's not sure if its allergies or a reaction to her Bordatella vaccination of a few weeks ago.

She prescribed antibotics yesterday but Princesses cough and hacking has gotten considerably worse, so now she has suggested cough Suppressant.

(FYI - Princess is probably in better health than her mom, who avoids going to the doctor at all costs. )

What is your experience with cough suppressants?

Tracey

Sponsored Links

Old 29th June 2001, 06:37 AM
Boxer Insane

It is probably bordatella, especially if she just had the shot. Cough suppressants do just that, supress the cough - we give children's formula, and they seem to like the cherry flavor the best (one of the few medicines they actually enjoy taking!). Personally, if she's eating, drinking and acting fine, I'd skip the antibiotics - like the human cold, they don't really do much, and it's usually best to just let the illness run its course. If you do continue giving the antibiotics, you might want to give a probiotic as well (lactobacillus) - antibiotics kill bad and good bacteria, and the probiotic will replace the good bacteria (give it 3-4 hours after you give the antibiotic, and continue for 1 week after the antibiotics run out.)

Old 29th June 2001, 10:49 AM
Super Boxer

Thanks Julie...

I'm a paranoid mom...more so now that between the two of us Princess and I got about an hour sleep because of all her hacking and coughing! She'd drink some water and then promptly hack it up, along with whatever else was at the tip of her tummy.

Poor girl was up nearly all night - and this is a dog that loves to nap more than she loves me... Of course she's resting fairly content now, and I'm stuck working...ahhh to be a dog.

The vet prescribed cough suppressant in a pill form. Princess isn't easy to give pills to... even if I coat the pills in peanut butter, and wrap them in pepperoni, Princess will carefully put the pills aside and eat the treats. Its a riot to watch.

So you use over the counter childrens cough syrups? In what kinds of doses?

I appreciate your help very much!

Tracey

Old 29th June 2001, 12:11 PM
Boxer Insane

Yes, we use regular children's cough syrup. I think dosages for children (not infants) except on puppies....it's been a couple of years, so I don't remember exactly! I think my adult (20 mos.) who weight probably 55-60 lbs. got 1 tsp. per dose (you can probably give every 6 hours, we gave every 8 or so).

The usual disclaimers apply....

Old 29th June 2001, 12:47 PM
Boxer Insane

We had the same thing happen with Lexi (after her bordatella vaccine) but after several days she was no longer eating. The cough was so bad. We did antibiotics for 10 days and 1000mg of a cough suppresent (pill form from vet probably the same as what you got, it started with a K). It took quite some time for her to get over it and it sure did take a toll. Be very careful as my vet warned that if left untreated it could turn into pneumonia however it tends to get worse before it gets better Hugs to you and Princess. I hope she is back to normal in no time!

Old 29th June 2001, 12:57 PM
Boxer Buddy

I'm dealing with the same thing

My dog Max is hacking and coughing as well. He even had some gross green mucus crusted on his nose in the morning. I got some anti-biotics from the vet, as well as some cough suppressant in pill form. To get him to eat the pills, I melt some cheese in the microwave (just enough so that he doesn't really have to chew it) and then put the pill in the middle and squish the cheese around it. He pops them down like candy. Right now, I have some wax paper in my fridge with about 20 pills in some formerly melted cheese. Fast food for dogs!

Old 8th November 2002, 07:29 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Cough supressants?!?

I'd be VERY careful giving my dogs "cough supressants"! Diesel, my newest male rescue had kennel cough that turned into pneumonia and the LAST thing to do is prevent him from expelling all that choking phegm! I could hear a distinct "rattle" in his breathing which indicated clogged up lungs.

He's been spitting up gobs of mucous and my vet said that was GOOD! He's got to clear out those lungs and the only way to do that is to cough it up and get it out! PLEASE be cautious and check with your vet! Sometimes we simply have to tolerate the coughing, wheezing and spitting up phlegm just because it's the only way for them to get rid of all that congestion and be able to breathe normally!:eek

Butch - "rescue

Old 9th November 2002, 05:55 PM
Boxer Insane

But that's pneumonia - we were discussing kennel cough, which is a dry hacking cough. Actually a suppressant/expectorant is usually recommended, but the key is really to stop the coughing, as that is what irritates the throat and perpetuates more coughing. In normal kennel cough (i.e., not one that includes an infection like pneumonia), there is not much mucous to expel.

Old 16th November 2002, 08:51 PM
Boxer Pal

JulieM,

All I was trying to do was to warn people about when "kennel cough" can quickly turn into pneumonia, from personal experience. I'm sure you'd agree, it MAY not be that obvious to some people but it can certainly become "life threatening" if left improperly treated!

Chip Hillman

Old 18th November 2002, 03:48 AM
Boxer Pal

Angry hacking cough

my best friend DUKE (deceased may 01)picked up this horrible cough at the vets office while in for routine vaccinations. it took 2 rounds of antibiotic and lots of tlc to rid him of the cough.we wrapped quartered bologna around the pills . lymphoma claimed his life -he was almost 10 yr old .our new friend BOZ was born 9-11-01 and is a true friend. hope your baby feels better.