Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL CHAT > Community Support

Community Support Post here messages of support and sharing during difficult times.

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2007, 04:34 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

What happens when money for assisted living runs out?

I am about to place my mother in assisted living. It is all private pay. Her social security and VA benefits will pay for two thirds of it. Her savings will pay for the rest but will be completely depleted in about two years. At this point she will be broke with no place to go. We have no idea how we are going to care for her or where she will go. I would bring her home with us now but we have no way to care for her here. She needs 24 hour assistance. Even if we have someone come in for the twelve hours that we are gone for work the lowest rate you can hire someone is about ten dollars an hour. Even if we only have them come on weekdays that is twenty four hundred dollars a month. Who has this kind of money? Insurance does not cover any of it.

Has anyone else had to deal with how to take care of their parents when the money is gone?

I am so terrified and overhwhelmed. I am sitting her balling my eyes out and the Boxers are so confused. They are trying to comfort me but they do not understand what is going on.
Sponsored Links

Old 15th March 2007, 05:36 AM
Boxer Insane

Re: What happens when money for assisted living runs out?

I have no idea how things work over there.........but I just thought you need a
(((((Big Hug)))))
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued

Old 15th March 2007, 05:42 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Oh, hugs from far away places. Thank you so much. I do need a hug. I just got scolded by an administrator. They are telling me that there is not anyway this information can be completed by the weekend. They said that my mother cannot come until Monday at the earliest. She is being discharged from the rehab facility on Saturday. I am just beside myself. I keep telling myself that it can not be as bad as it seems and that it will all work out.

Old 15th March 2007, 05:48 AM
Boxer Insane

Oh, dear. Can the rehab keep her an extra two nights? Or would she be able to stay with you Saturday and Sunday?

It's such a shame. Keep your chin up.....it WILL all work out fine, I am sure.

Old 15th March 2007, 05:52 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I am hoping that the rehab can keep her. I am not sure I can care for her at my home. She needs some assistance and since she has been in there I have not seen how independent she can or cannot be at this point.

Old 15th March 2007, 06:45 AM
Boxer Insane

Contact your local Health Dept. they have Home Health programs that might could assist you in some way.

Old 15th March 2007, 06:59 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Social security will cover about one third of the cost. After she has spent down her savings to qualify for veterans benefits that will cover another small portion. After that the cost is the responsiblity of the family. It will cost around fifteen hundred dollars a month out of our pocket plus her medications, medical insurance and incidentals. Medical insurance does not pay for assisted living. It will only pay for skilled nursing. Skilled nursing is scary. There are far too many patients for the staff to adequately care for. A nurse averages between fifteen to thirty patients. She is responsible for medications, IV's, dressing changes and assistance with care. They usually have the help of one or two nurse's aides. It is far too much work for three people and therefore people are neglected.

There is cheaper assisted living but you get what you pay for. Staff are usually not educated. They are trained on the job. Training may be an eight hour seminar or a week of training. They lack the knowledge and trained eyes to recognize a small problem before it becomes a big one.

My mother had a stroke in the building that she lives in now. There is not medical staff but there is a receptionist. My mother attempted to sign out to go get her hair done. Her glasses were broke, the corner of her mouth dropped and she was slurring words. What she wrote on the sign out sheet was jibberish. She then sat down in a chair in the waiting room and went unconscious. Her hairdresser/friend arrived to pick her up and found her like this. An ambulance was called and she went to the hospital. This is an example of lay people not being able to recognize the signs of a problem. These are also the type of people that would be giving her pills to her. If she is complaining of being dizzy will they know to check her blood pressure before giving her blood pressure meds to her. If they notice bruises on her arm will they recognize that she might be bleeding out and hold her blood thinner? If she is confused or sweaty will they think to check her blood sugar? Will they know what to do with the results?

The place she is going to has licensed nursing staff. To me it is worth the extra money. Especially if it keeps her out of the hospital.

Thanks to all for all the support. I really needed it this morning. I have a call into an Eldercare lawyer and I hope that they can point me in the right direction.

Old 15th March 2007, 07:07 AM
Boxer Insane

I'm so sorry you and your mom are going thru all of this. I hope there is someone who can help. More ((hugs)).
Megan 4 yr old brindle rescue

Old 15th March 2007, 08:21 AM
Boxer Insane

I see you are from PA = where in PA if you don't mind me asking. I work for the county in my area. Not in Area Agency on Aging or Veterans affairs, but I might be able to find something to help you out. I do work closely with people in those departments and might be able to find important questions out for you. OR somehow give you numbers to help you out. PA is pretty much the same in all counties I think. Let me know.

Old 15th March 2007, 10:21 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Big Hug! What about Medicaid. After her benefits are exhausted, medicaid should be an option if the assisted living facility is willing to take payment from Medicare and Medicaid. Worth looking into.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!
I]

Old 15th March 2007, 11:04 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My mom is in Allegheny county, pittsburgh.

I just got off the phone with the department of aging. They said that they do offer a SS supplement for people who qualify financially. Right now her SSI is above the limit but the limit raises yearly. So by the time that her money is gone she may qualify. The supplement will almost cover that final one third. We will be responsible for a couple hundred dollars.

Any further information on available assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks for your offer of help

Old 15th March 2007, 12:58 PM
Boxer Insane

<<Hugs>> from Minnesota! Is there a social services dept. or something like that for your county that might be able to advise you of more options to help pay for the care she needs? It sounds as though it is medically necessary.