Go Back   Boxer Board > PUPPY MATTERS > Choosing A Puppy

Choosing A Puppy How to choose the right puppy for you.

Closed Thread

Old 27th January 2006, 01:23 PM
Boxer Pal

American Bulldog/Boxer mix

I'm really thinking of buying this white puppy from a rescue organization. Any word on this kind of mix?
Sponsored Links

Old 27th January 2006, 01:26 PM
Energetic Moderator

Meghuney - sounds like a cute pup!

Please take a second to post your Introduction. This is required of all new members, and should have actually been your very first post

www.boxerworld.com/rules

Old 27th January 2006, 01:55 PM
Super Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKoffe
Make sure it is really american bull dog and not pit tho.
Not that it would matter if the pup is young enough for you to train it propperly.

Old 27th January 2006, 02:59 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Sounds like a good combination. Make sure it is really american bull dog and not pit tho.
I have a boxer/pit bull mix (see Hannah in my gallery). We got her when she was 6 months old. She has been a wonderful dog - great with Samson and other dogs, loves the cats, and absolutely adores every person she meets. Please don't judge all pits from the bad press of a few.

Meghuney - I think it sounds like a great combination - I have always wanted an American Bulldog! Let us know what you decide.

Old 27th January 2006, 05:05 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

i say go for it ! both breeds are great let us know what ya do.......

ann

Old 27th January 2006, 08:21 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Angry

Quote:
Sounds like a good combination. Make sure it is really american bull dog and not pit tho.
Seriously the breed hating needs to stop. . . . .Grrrrrrrr

Keela - American Pit Bull Terrier 02/18/06

Old 27th January 2006, 10:36 PM
Super Boxer

Unfortunately, the breed hating has roots in reality. I am a lover of all dogs, but certain breeds have been bred for fighting. Even when you read the ads in the dog magazines, you get the impression that some breeders are bragging about the performance of their dogs rather than temperament.

There are reasons that people are concerned about pit bulls (and their look a likes), rotweilers, dobermans, and numerous other dogs that have been wrongly bred and trained to fight or guard in an agressive way. My white boxer was mistakenly identified more than once as a pit bull or mix.

I would have no problem getting a boxer mix with a bulldog, but with my four children, I would be concerned about getting a pit bull mix. If I had no children and liked the look...maybe.

Old 28th January 2006, 07:18 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranvan
Unfortunately, the breed hating has roots in reality. I am a lover of all dogs, but certain breeds have been bred for fighting. There are reasons that people are concerned about pit bulls (and their look a likes), rotweilers, dobermans, and numerous other dogs that have been wrongly bred and trained to fight or guard in an agressive way. There are reasons that people are concerned about pit bulls (and their look a likes), rotweilers, dobermans, and numerous other dogs that have been wrongly bred and trained to fight or guard in an agressive way. I would have no problem getting a boxer mix with a bulldog, but with my four children, I would be concerned about getting a pit bull mix. If I had no children and liked the look...maybe
I do not want to make this thread a pit bull debate, but I am very saddened and frustrated by reading uneducated remarks about a wonderful breed that I personally know and live with. Yes, pit bulls were originally bred to fight. However, a quality that was NEVER bred into the bloodlines was human aggression. Human aggressive dogs were undesirable as these dogs required extensive handling prior to and during the fights and most of these dogs were also family pets. And if you want to use the argument about what dogs were originally bred for - Boxers were bred in Germany and used for bull baiting - that certainly has nothing to do with how they have been socialized today.

Instead of reacting just with bias, look at facts: The American Temperament Testing Society does temperament testing throughout the year. In the 24 years of testing, over 185 breeds of dogs, the Pit bull's average is 83.1%. This is higher than the national average for all other breeds of dogs. In 2004, 469 Pits were tested (83.4%). FYI:Boxers, 333 were tested with a rate of 84.7%.

I do not understand how you can claim to be a lover of "all dogs" and hold such negative misconceptions about so many dogs. Please remember that a dog will be whatever its owner makes of it, regardless of breed. There are a lot of wonderful, loving, caring pit bulls (Rotties, Dobermans, etc.) out there as family members. Hannah, my pit bull mix, loves and adores humans - I would be concerned about her licking you to death.

I'm sorry, Meghuney, that your original question has caused people to want to throw in pit bull criticisms. Are you still considering the rescue puppy? - be sure to post some pictures if you adopt him/her! I would love to add a bulldog or bulldog mix to my famliy - either English or American. Properly socialized, they are great family dogs!

Last edited by Valantar; 28th January 2006 at 07:29 AM.

Old 28th January 2006, 11:15 AM
Boxer Booster

I agree, through my volunteer work pit bulls have been some of the best dogs I have ever been around. All the while I get nervous when kids are around my terrier. Good luck with the pup! It is truly wonderful to rescue, I really appreciate what you are doing!

Last edited by Emily86; 28th January 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Old 28th January 2006, 11:28 AM
Boxer Insane

I think you should go for it. I bet that is a beautiful puppy that needs alot of love. I have been around alot of pit bulls and have never met one that is mean. I think it is the way the puppy or dog has been raised...Good Luck!!!

Old 28th January 2006, 06:14 PM
Boxer Pal

Well, I tried to post a link to a picture of Stevie, but it didn't work! Oh well. But yes, I am still planning on adopting him. I sent pictures of my home and my gate to the adoption place and I will be meeting the president next weekend. I'm quite excited. I'm looking into buying a dog house, a crate and a few other things.

Old 28th January 2006, 06:18 PM
Energetic Moderator

Meghuney -

One of your links was moved to the "show off your dog" Forum, where it is a better fit. The other one was trashed, please see the section of the Rules regarding cross-posting:

Quote:
Crosspostings: do not post the same thread more than once on a discussion forum or on many forums. Duplicate threads are very annoying for members, especially for those whose time is limited. Duplicate threads will be deleted and reposting the same message after the threads were closed or deleted could result in the loss of your BW membership.
The Introductions Forum is for Introductions only. Thanks