Go Back   Boxer Board > GENERAL CHAT > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk here about any message that just doesn't fit anywhere else (No boxer related)

Closed Thread

Old 14th February 2002, 10:00 AM
Super Boxer

Unhappy Child's Baby Tooth Needs Pulling!

Has anyone here ever had a child who had to have one of her/his baby teeth pulled??? If so, please advise the procedure (including the pain factor) and be honest about it ~ I'd much rather know going in what is going to happen so I am better prepared to support my daughter. We have a dentist appt next week, but need all the info I can muster ahead of time. Have searched the web, but really found not too much on pulling of baby teeth. Thanks for any help you can give me!

(Just a quick background: My 6 yr old daughter knocked out one of her front baby teeth when she was 18 months old and the fall also managed to kill the other front tooth, which remained in place. Her permanent tooth is now coming in way up high in her gum because the dead tooth refuses to fall out on its own!)
Jake ~ Yellow Labrador born Sep 1998 (natural ears, otter tail!)
Winston ~ Plain Brindle Boxer waiting at the Bridge
Three beautiful skin kids ~ ages 4, 6, and 8!
Sponsored Links

Old 14th February 2002, 10:42 AM
Boxer Booster

My oldest daughter had to have 2 baby teeth pulled when she was 5, (they still had a full root on them) Dentist was just going to numb her, but she was very afraid of the dentist then so we took her to an oral surgon(sp), anyway they put her out then pulled the teeth. It just seemed better to it that way for her because of the stress factor. My son on the other hand had to have 1 of his teeth pull, I think he was 7 or 8 and the dentist just numbed him and pulled it, he didn't have any problem. Hope this helps whatever you decide.
Shaun

Old 14th February 2002, 12:26 PM
Boxer Insane

My step-son has had to have extensive dental work on his teeth due to poor care when he was a baby. Can you believe at 4 years old he did not even have a tooth brush. We took custody of him 2 years ago. Anyway, if an oral surgeon is available go for it. We found a dentist that specialized in pediatric denistry and he has done wonders. My step-son loves his silver teeth although he has put a pitch in for gold ones so he have a rich head. I just cannot believe we have spent $2,500 on his teeth and now at age 7 1/2 they are falling out. I always have a lot of children's tylenol around. I give him some before he even goes to the dentist.

Old 14th February 2002, 02:21 PM
Super Boxer

I too had 2 baby teeth (complete with 2 full roots) pulled when I was in the 3rd grade. All the dentist did was numb me up and pull them out. It didn't hurt at all, but they were in the front (my canines??) so I had 2 big black holes for a few days. I also later had an adult tooth pulled and it hurt like the dickens which surprised me since the 2 previous hadn't hurt at all.

The biggest thing to remember is NO STRAWS for the first few days because the sucking will give your child dry socket and that is very painful (I had 2 dry sockets when I got my wisdom teeth out last year at 25).

Here's one for ya...

My friend's 7 year old wrecked on her bike and we *thought* she knocked out one of her teeth, but we couldn't find it anywhere. When she went to the dentist they did an x-ray and saw that the tooth didn't fall out, it was pushed UP into her gums. She ended up having to have it pulled because it was interfering with the adult tooth trying to come in. Probably for the rest of my life, I'll never hear of anything like that again!

Good luck!

Tucker - born 01/27/01, classic fawn male, tail docked, natural ears, "fixed"
Kaia - born 10/9/01, flashy dark brindle female, tail docked, natural ears, "fixed"

Last edited by Tucker's_mom; 14th February 2002 at 02:51 PM.

Old 14th February 2002, 02:38 PM
Boxer Insane

Thumbs down Roots

Adult teeth can put up a fight coming out. Some can have som serious roots.

Baby teeth have almost no root at all. When my oldest lost his first tooth, we thought the roots broke off. There just wasn't much root at all.

Old 14th February 2002, 03:09 PM
Bella&Baxter

No experience in the pulling of baby teeth but I do second the motion on "no Straes".. When I had some adult teeth removed, the Oral Surgeon advised no straws since it would cause a dry socket.. Those, I understand are extremely painful.

Now on the bright side, she will have much fun eating spaghetti.. she can suck it thru the space! Like the commercial

Old 14th February 2002, 05:18 PM
Boxer Insane

I have to agree with Don, there is no roots to baby teeth, and i am sure all will go well, but your a mom like us so we have to worry and make sure our babies get the best. My son just had his 4 wisdom teeth out, you want to talk about pain, bruises and swelling. but he's just a big baby, arn't all men

"If you have your health, everything else is a bonus"

Old 15th February 2002, 01:57 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Kerrie had two teeth pulled a while ago. The dentist (whoops I nearly said vet then !!) numbed the area then gave her a small whiff of gas and it was all over in seconds. She had no problems and very little blood. The only thing she found awkward was eating for the rest of the day as she kept wanting to bite down where the tooth had been. Good luck for the little one, she will be fine.
Three skin daughters Kerrie, Claire and Katy.

Old 15th February 2002, 02:10 AM
Super Boxer

WOW! When I started this post yesterday, I really wondered if I'd lost my mind sending this query to a Boxer-loving community rather than to a "parenting forum" somewhere else. However, from your responses, I can see my original instincts were correct. You all are the greatest. Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond and for all the great info!!!