Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2001, 09:07 AM
Boxer Buddy

Question

Our male boxer Titan is almost 8 months old and he weights 58 pounds...does this seem small for a male? Our female boxer is 1 1/2 years old and she weights 58 pounds...we were hoping Titan would be at least 75. My husband and I would just like to know how old is your male boxer and how much did he weight around 8 months old.
Sponsored Links

Old 9th May 2001, 10:10 AM
Boxer Insane

I haven't kept charts on my puppies but I know my 10-month old is nowhere near 58 lbs. - he was probably around 42-45 lbs. at 8 months. However, Boxers aren't fully mature until 2-3 years old (in my line of boys it's closer to 3) so he's got a long way to go. There are no weights given in the US standard, only heights, but I'd say 75 lbs. is near the top of the scale in most countries. I wouldn't worry about how big he'll be when he grows up, just enjoy him He'll weigh as much as he's supposed to weigh (provided you feed him correctly!)

When their bones are growing (until about 18-24 months), it's far better for them to be slightly underweight - an overweight puppy puts tremendous strain on growing bones and can cause serious problems later in life.

Old 9th May 2001, 12:25 PM
Boxer Insane

Nicole, for a general idea take a look at his parents.

Julie, I thought the AKC standard gave estimated weights. I thought it was anywhere from 50 lbs (female) up to 7? lbs (male) but that it states weight isn't much of a factor as long as everything is in balance.

Old 9th May 2001, 03:43 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My male is on the large size, at 87.5 pounds at a lean weight. He's very muscular. Actually, I got him neutered last week, so he's probably down to 87 even.

Old 9th May 2001, 09:26 PM
Eddie's mom

Boxers come in all sizes, big and small! Definitely look at his parents. My Eddie is only 53 Lbs.

Old 10th May 2001, 09:54 AM
Boxer Insane

No, the AKC standard does not mention weight at all. The FCI standard does, which is what most of the European countries follow. I'm not sure about Canada, although I'm guessing it does not, or Australia and the UK. (And I'm too lazy to look them up right now!! )

Actually, weight was not in the original US 1902 standard, was added in the 1938 revision, and was dropped in 1968. If you've never seen Har-Vel Boxer's pages on the Evolving Boxer Standard, I highly recommend them!

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/9666/Standard.html

Old 11th May 2001, 09:51 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by JulieM
No, the AKC standard does not mention weight at all. The FCI standard does, which is what most of the European countries follow. I'm not sure about Canada, although I'm guessing it does not, or Australia and the UK. (And I'm too lazy to look them up right now!! )

Actually, weight was not in the original US 1902 standard, was added in the 1938 revision, and was dropped in 1968. If you've never seen Har-Vel Boxer's pages on the Evolving Boxer Standard, I highly recommend them!

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/9666/Standard.html

Interesting...I'll have to find where I seen weights stated at, maybe it was on a breeders website. I'll check out the web site also.

Old 14th May 2001, 02:54 PM
Boxer Pal

Talking

Our male boxer is 8 1/2 months old now and he weighs about 65 lbs. So it sounds like they are about the same size. Our dog was one of the largest in the litter though. The vet told me that he would most likely be about the size of the parents but if it was one of the larger puppies in the litter, he could be slightly larger. Most people tell me he'll probably be between 75-85 lbs. Also most people say that the males don't fill out until about a year of age and do not reach their full weight until almost 2 years of age.

Old 10th July 2001, 06:14 PM
Boxer Pal

Our 8 month old male just weighed in at 62lbs and our 19 month old weighed in at 70. Seems to be right on track with the other replies.

Pappy-19 month old male Brindle

Cocoa-7 Month old male Fawn with brindle markings

Old 10th July 2001, 09:42 PM
Boxer Insane

LOL - my 21-month old just weighed in at 60.5 lbs. Told you my lines matured slowly! :P

Old 12th July 2001, 06:48 AM
Boxer Insane

Chase just turned 7 months and weighs 43 lbs. Jazmine jsut turned 1 and weighs only 49 lbs.

Jazmine~Flashy, Fawn Female with natural ears
7/7/00

Chase~Flashy, Brindle male with natural ears 12/9/00
http://boxergirljazz.homestead.com/jazznewpage.html
lovicon

Old 31st July 2001, 02:59 PM
Boxer Booster

if I remember right, my male was pretty scrawny until 2 years, he was as tall as he was going to get but he didn't fill out completely until he was about 2 years, so I would say that weight is normal, my boy is now 8 years and 75 pounds, he is the maximum height allowed by the standard, he is a big beutiful boy. but it took time to get there.