Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2005, 11:04 AM
Boxer Pal

life expectancy

what is the normal life expectancy for a boxer?
Sponsored Links

Old 20th January 2005, 11:57 AM
Boxer Insane

9-11 years for the average healthy dog. Many live to be 12-13, some don't make 9, but usually by 8-9 you've got a senior dog on your hands and they need special monitoring to catch things quickly in case they develop.

Being boxers, they don't really start slowing down until 7 or 8, and long after that they're still capable of some bursts of youthful energy.

Old 20th January 2005, 12:00 PM
Boxer Insane

When you compare their life expectancy to how great of a pet they are their entire lives, it really is pretty sad I've always heard Boxers didn't have exceptionally long life expectancys!

Old 20th January 2005, 05:31 PM
Boxer Buddy

Unfortunately, the general rule is the larger the breed, the shorter the life expectancy. I had a friend with a Saint Bernard that was an old old man at 7.

Old 22nd January 2005, 08:06 AM
Boxer Pal

Smile Boxer yrs.

Boxers, just like people are biologically different. Depending on the breeder, a good breeder will check to make sure that there are no genetic faults, or very few, boxers can get quite alot of illnesses. Heart, cancer, blood disorders just to name a few. And not breeding a poor quality makes all the boxer gene pool a lot stronger.

The better one checks on the breeder; to see what and if they check for in their breeding stock is the key to how long will a boxer live. This is not 100% either. Disease can happen to the healthiest.And some conditions like heat stroke happen because the owner wasnt paying attention to how hot the boxer was getting. Owners play a huge role in the life expectancy of their kids.

My first boxer lived for 13yrs (and that is awesome, not too many reach that age).

So many factors affect the boxers age, however 10yrs is the norm. plus or minus.

Old 22nd January 2005, 10:12 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Question

Now I had heard that having them on a barf diet helps to prolong life expectancy. (and of course as soon as I heard that I put kneesaa on it )

Old 24th January 2005, 11:48 AM
Boxer Buddy

As far as large dogs go.... I had dog named Jack, he was half St. Bernard and half Great Dane, he was an absolute monster. Very big and strong and very protective, and he made it to the ripe old age of 14. Eventually, my step dad called the vet and had the vet come to the house and put old Jack to rest. My step dad burried him on his property and set up a tree stump so he could go out there and sit with his old friend.

And I hope my Boxer lives forever.

Old 24th January 2005, 01:17 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
I know this sounds like it would be logically true but I don't think it really is. Dobermans for example which are much larger then boxers are known to live well into their teens.
There are always exceptions, of course, but the average lifespan for a Dobe is actually 9.6 years. The DPCA instituted a Longevity program some years ago, recognizing those dogs who lived longer than average (10+ years) and those dogs who were Bred for Longevity.

http://bakaridobes.westhost.com/longevity/

Old 25th January 2005, 09:41 AM
Boxer Insane

We don't really know the average lifespan for the Boxer. The site I posted is for the Doberman Pinscher Club of America Longevity program - they did a survey of thousands of Dobes to determine the average lifespan. Such a thing has not been done in Boxers. So, we have guesses like 8-10 or 10-12 years, but nothing specific based on a large number of dogs.

Old 30th January 2005, 11:57 AM
Boxer Booster

Lightbulb Best advice I can give

If possible look for the breeder to give you info on how long the great grandparents, and grandparents lived. While this is no garenty on how long your dog will live, it is logical to believe yor dog will have close to the same lifespan. However you can't tell the end at the begining.

Old 4th February 2005, 02:36 PM
Boxer Buddy

Wink

My previous Boxer lived to the age of 10, with a heart condition. Not quite sure which one it was as I was so young, but it was either CHF or cardiomyopathy. You wouldn't know he was ill, though. He had it all intact to the end, energy-wise, muscle mass/bulk/tone, and the overall Boxer attentiveness. Maybe a little gray around the face, but otherwise you would never have known he was old or sick. Had his typical Boxer energy right to the end--went outside to do his do and collapsed. He was the first Boxer I ever had and has made me a Boxer lover since then, which is why I now have Missy.

Speaking of Missy, when we were working up her health problems a while ago, I had brought her to Tufts University of Veterinary Medicine and there was a couple there who just adored Missy, as they had one in their "neck of the woods." There was a man who owned a farm in her area who had a Boxer that lived to the age of 16!!!! I was shocked!

I don't know how long Missy will live. She has microvascular dysplasia and is on a special diet to maintain it. Last checked, her ammonia level was fine, and only 1 of her LFTs was slightly elevated (compared to 2 of them being 3-times elevated when first diagnosed). I would love to get 10 years out of her, but I am just happy for the days I have with her now, not years.

Old 4th February 2005, 10:04 PM
Boxer Pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody061004
I know this sounds like it would be logically true but I don't think it really is. Dobermans for example which are much larger then boxers are known to live well into their teens.
Boxers unfortunately are not known for there great life span, which to me is the biggest downside of the breed.
Maybe you were thinking of another breed because Dobermans are not actually MUCH larger than boxers. They are a bit larger, but some Boxers are larger than Dobermans. Also their life expectancy is about 9-10 years. Of course this also varies by individual.