Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2004, 06:18 AM
Boxer Pal

Question reverse brindle

ok, call me a dummy, but what is reverse brindle? i know what brindle is but ive been hearing alot about reverse brindle and wanted to know exactly what it is and is it a genetic disorder like the white boxer is.
Sponsored Links

Old 30th July 2004, 11:33 AM
Super Boxer

Lael is a "reverse brindle". Here are some pictures:

Lael 1

Lael 2

Lael 3

To my knowledge, neither the white "color" nor the "reverse brindle" are considered disorders. Check out this thread, which can explain the genetics in further detail.

Cat & Lael

Old 1st August 2004, 10:25 AM
Boxer Booster

Talking Jax is a reverse

Hey I also have a reverse brindle baby. He looks black for the most part but in the sun you can see his brown, or fawn colored stripes.

Naomi, Lily and Jax

Old 1st August 2004, 11:09 AM
Boxer Booster

Daisy is also a reverse brindle. She looks black with red stripes. JoJo is a brindle. The look almost like exact opposites as far as their coloring!

Daisy and JoJo

Old 21st October 2004, 06:42 PM
Boxer Pal

Smile

Our Oz is a reverse brindle also there is a picture of him in my picture gallery

Old 23rd November 2005, 04:50 PM
Boxer Pal

my avatar is my reverse brindle..mostly black boxer oreo

Old 23rd November 2005, 05:15 PM
Elusive Moderator

A white boxer is not the result of any sort of genetic disorder at all. It is simply a dog that received two copies of the gene causing flash (white markings) - one from each parent. Without that gene, the dog will be predominantly solid coloured. With one copy, it is flashy. And with two copies, it is ultra-flashy (ie. white or predominantly white). That's all. No genetic "defects" or disorders in the mix at all.

Coat colour and its inheritance is a little more fully explained at www.boxerworld.com/coat_colour

As for reverse brindle, that is a term used in North America to describe a dog with an extremely high concentration of brindle striping. In some parts of Canada, the same colour is called "seal" brindle. Elsewhere in the world, it is just called dark brindle. Note that "extremely high" does not mean just a lot - and most of the dogs people describe as "reverse" brindle are not A dog that is reverse brindle has the appearance of being black - it is only upon inspection that you will see (and should be able to clearly see) the fawn. This is "reverse" in the sense that it appears that the dog has a black base coat, and some fawn striping. In fact, it is an extremely high concentration of black stripes on fawn ground colour - just like any other shade of brindle.

Insofar as the boxer standard goes, the colour is allowable in the US and Canada, but a fault elsewhere (just as an extremely "light" brindle would be - meaning one that is fawn with just a few faint brindle stripes).

Old 24th November 2005, 08:53 PM
Boxer Pal

Atticus is A Flashy Reverse Brindle....so check out his pictures

Old 24th November 2005, 09:47 PM
Boxer Insane

http://www.boxerworld.com/photo/show...hp/photo/36062