Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 6th March 2004, 01:14 AM
Boxer Booster

Question Why do people have boxers ear clipped

HI i was wandering why people had there boxers ears clipped i think its against the law in our country
Traci
Sponsored Links

Old 6th March 2004, 06:34 AM
Boxer Insane

Yes, it is agains the law in the UK, though it wasn't always. There are many reasons for cropping ears, and the topic almost always gets quite heated (moderator mode: this thread will be closed quickly if even a tiny bit of heat is generated!). Some people who crop do so simply because the US standard calls for it - there is no provision for uncropped ears. (You can show uncropped dogs, but you're at a (sometimes severe) disadvantage.) Many crop because it is the "historical" look of the Boxer, and many feel it creates a more noble profile. Lots just prefer the look. In the US and Canada, and some other countries, it is still a matter of personal preference.

A forum search will give you the good, the bad, and the ugly on the topic.

Old 6th March 2004, 12:53 PM
Boxer Insane

I had my first girl Britnee's ears cropped, my husband insisted on it! Once it was done I loved it, and still do. Now, Baylee didn't have hers cropped when I got her she was 9 months old so it was too late (on a side note IMO her head was too big). Well, when we got Brandy we talked about it but we got her at 4 months and I felt she was too old to have it done to get good results. I also didn't want her to look like Britnee since she was so much like her in looks. Take a look in my gallery there are some pics of my girls. I didn't get Brit a show crop because I wanted to keep more of the curve of the ear rather than the length. I like the cropped eared boxers as much as the uncropped so I have no preference either way. One thing my hubby did say is that if he ever got a male boxer he would want his ears done.

Jaimie

Old 9th March 2004, 10:28 AM
Boxer Booster

Your Preference

I agree with Jaimie. It's a preference thing. My husband was just like hers. "If we had a Boxer the ears had to be cropped." I got all kinds of opinions from family and friends....and trust me I really didn't ask for it. Well, I love Kali's ears cropped. To me she looks very noble. Now...we just adopted Gia who is 15mo old. She has nautral ears and we love her just the same. We thought it would take a while to get used to the look, but it didn't. My husband said he doesn't even mind her ears at all. It just fits her. Our vet will not crop after the puppy is 9wks old, so obiviously it was too late for Gia, but I didn't fall in love with a cropped look when it came to her. I fell in love with her, just the way she was.

Melaina
Luna (11-26-99) Siamese Cat that loves to tease Kali

Old 9th March 2004, 11:19 AM
Boxer Insane

To crop or not to crop. . .. I think it depends on the dog and the owner should definitely do his/her research on the vet and procedure first! My vet agreed to do Evie's at 14 weeks, but no later. We decided we liked HER look with the ears up. Evie's ears are actually just a bit shorter than the show cut. On Adam, we decided we liked HIS look floppy. (he looked like he had satelite dishes on his head!!)
~my dear Smitty at the bridge Oct '90~

Old 9th March 2004, 12:11 PM
Super Boxer

Well just my two cents i would never have a dogs ears cropped but I love my resuce, white boxers ears which are cropped.. It makes him look cute... He came that way..

The only thing that bothers me about the whole debate is the owners saying its their preference when the dog is not involved in the decision making process...

Old 9th March 2004, 12:47 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by EMWAZ
The only thing that bothers me about the whole debate is the owners saying its their preference when the dog is not involved in the decision making process...
I understand your point, but keep in mind that dogs are never involved in making any of the decisions that affect their lives...it's certainly not limited to ear cropping decisions.

Old 9th March 2004, 12:57 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by VTbxrFan
I understand your point, but keep in mind that dogs are never involved in making any of the decisions that affect their lives...it's certainly not limited to ear cropping decisions.
Absolutely!

I agree it's the owners choice (in countries that allow cropping) and there are many reasons people give for cropping. My reason is simply because I prefer the look...although, the uncropped look has certainly grown on me.

Old 9th March 2004, 01:24 PM
Boxer Insane

Angel was going to be cropped but pre sugery bloodwork showed she was anemic and we had to get her levels normal before we had the surgery done. After treating her anemia we changed our minds. By that time her "look" had grown on us she looked like a teddy bear and her ears are so velvety soft! I could not imagine her any other way But if we got another pup I am unsure if we would or would not. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

Christa & the Gang

Old 16th March 2004, 01:04 PM
Super Boxer

Many many people here are simply "used" to the look of a cropped boxer. It is seen as traditional. I simply love the look of a good crop but I also love the look of a good natural ear. Nearly everyone in the States who shows their boxer or wants to show their boxer will crop the dogs ears. This is the reason my boxers ears are cropped...her breeder wanted to show her a bit. It is not absolutely necessary to crop the show boxers ears however "ears cropped" is in the U.S breed standard. Like JulieM said, it is possible to show an uncropped dog however they would be considered a deviation from breed standard. How much of a deviation depends on the judge. Some judges here will all but throw out an uncropped dog severely limiting its chances in the ring.

Old 16th March 2004, 10:14 PM
Boxer Insane

My boxers ears are floppy. I prefer that look.
I have seen way too many bad looking crop jobs to want to take a chance. Once it's done, it's done. Of course, I have also seen some very nice crops, but I just don't want to take the chance.
It's just whatever an owner likes best. (of course, in places that allow it).

Old 16th March 2004, 10:25 PM
Boxer Insane

I have had 4 boxers. My husband wanted the cropped look. So we did Sugar and Duchess(at the bridge). Samson and Delilah are natural. They look so cute with the natural ears. They keep that puppy look. I love to pet their ears. They are so soft.

Cindy