Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th December 2003, 09:40 AM
Boxer Pal

Exclamation Male Boxer

My young Male boxer which is almost a year and a half has not dropped his testicles yet. I asked a vet about it and he said he should of by now and if not then he is probably sterile. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and what causes this? Pretty Boy is the only male I've had since birth and so I don't know much about males. My other male, Tex, I bought when he was 1 1/2 years old and had no problems with him. I also was wanting to find out if this could be hereditary because I have Pretty Boys mom, Madison, and I don't know if I should breed her any more or not if the gene is coming from her?

Thankyou
Johlene Hawks
Sponsored Links

Old 17th December 2003, 11:43 AM
Boxer Pal

Male Boxer

So is this a hereditary on the mothers side or fathers? I've never experienced a problem like this before. Can it be prevented or anything like that? That really sucks to because I kept Pretty Boy out of last years litter for a stud and he's beautiful. He has almost a perfect star on his chest, we had his ears cropped (which was a big learning experience) and everything. He's a fawn and white.

Johlene

Old 17th December 2003, 12:32 PM
Boxer Insane

The exact mode of inheritance is unknown but I have heard of a few "studies" (I don't recall if they were actual science or just large surveys) that show it is likely largely due to the dam's side.

I would say that unless the dam has everything else to offer the breed - generations of long-lived titled producers of merit behind her, is titled herself with titled (or title-able) offspring, has a flow rate below 1.7 m/sec, hips Excellent or in the highest percentile, normal thyroid yearly, "0" holters yearly, normal CERF yearly - it's best to spay her. There are plenty of good bitches out there who *don't* carry the gene for undescended testicles - it would take a stellar bitch to overcome the gene.

Old 17th December 2003, 02:28 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Re: Male Boxer

Quote:
Originally posted by johleneh
My young Male boxer which is almost a year and a half has not dropped his testicles yet. I asked a vet about it and he said he should of by now and if not then he is probably sterile.
I am very surprised that your vet did not notice this sooner. I don't know all the details of your male's medical history and vet visits, but I would be very concerned that no one has brought this to your attention before. As Julie and Christina have both suggested, the best thing for him is to neuter him ASAP. The retained testicles will get very warm from being up inside his body and as a result his chances of getting cancer are much, much higher.

Brenda

Old 17th December 2003, 02:35 PM
Boxer Insane

I also think it would be a good idea to have them both fixed. Probably the other male as well since he's still intact unless he has passed all of the health testing necesary to have the best chance to produce quality pups with good health and has been evluated by either an unbiased judge or breeder as a breeding quality dog.

Old 17th December 2003, 03:19 PM
Boxer Pal

Pretty Boy

I noticed this early on but not being experienced with this situation I didn't know but I will take care of it soon. Thank you all for your advise. I appreciate it.

Johlene

Old 17th December 2003, 04:05 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I would also consider getting a new vet. If your vet didn't bring up any of the things others on this thread have, I would have serious reservations about this vet's knowledge in general. I'd be on the phone with him asking why HE didn't tell me about higher probability of cancer, and why HE didn't highly suggest neutering!

Christine
Boxer Luv Rescue

Old 17th December 2003, 04:53 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Something you might be interested in reading

Click for the link

I know that not all of these points apply to you but I think some of them do.

And yes your vet should know and tell you all about health problems in your pets....but you have chosen to breed your animals so it is up to you to do your part to become a responsible dog breeder and research these types of things.

Old 8th January 2004, 11:59 AM
Boxer Pal

Pretty Boy

I had my male fixed last week, the one whose testicles had not droped so he don't have to worry about cancer or any other problems. He's doing good. Thanks for the info. on that. Now he'll be a healthy house dog, if I can get him to stop tearing things up. I've delt with this many times with my other boxers. I don't mind though. I love them so much.

Thank full,
Johlene

Old 8th January 2004, 12:24 PM
Boxer Insane

Re: Pretty Boy

Glad to hear Pretty Boy has been neutered! Sounds like he came thru just fine...

Old 9th January 2004, 08:23 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Re: Pretty Boy

Good for you!! He'll be a much happier dog and you'll be a much happier owner as a result!!

Quote:
Originally posted by johleneh
Now he'll be a healthy house dog, if I can get him to stop tearing things up
Magnum will be six this month and he STILL tears things up - toilet paper, magazines, tissues, boxes, paper from my office trash can etc...

Like you, I say - Gotta love 'em!!

Brenda

Old 9th January 2004, 10:25 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I am so happy to hear that you've done the best thing for your sweet boxer boy. Looks like you've educated yourself and made a very wise decision! Good for you and good for him!

Christine
Boxer Luv Rescue