Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 16th October 2002, 06:57 PM
Boxer Pal

Question Testing before breeding

Ok I have my fawn male and reverse brindle female. I am taking them in Monday for vet visits. What kind of tests need to be performed to check them as good breedable dogs. I know the heart, how do you check for the hips? Also she has had a previous liter with the former owner (not vet checked) and she did not have any problems with the delivery, will she be prone to most likely not have problems? Or is it case by case deliveries? I want to be fully enformed before I embark on something that I can not handle. So I am a sponge liek me soak up the wisdom of est. breeders out there. Of yeah I should have said responsible breeders.

Thanks
Cathy

Sponsored Links

Old 16th October 2002, 07:05 PM
Jeanne

Oh my, this is a really loaded question; be prepared for a barage and some of it you may not like. I have a few questions of my own:

Where did you get these dogs?

Do you know their pedigrees?

Will their pedigrees compliment each other?

Are they from well established lines with a lot of CH, SOM, DOM, LOM behind them?

Do you know any health history of their lines?

Does their conformation compliment each other?

Is their conformation good to excellent?

Have they been shown or do you show?

What are your long term goals for breeding?

How old are they?

What sort of temperaments?

Basic health tests: Hips, Auscultation by cardiologist and Echo if needed, 24 hr holter, thyroid function, eyes (I consider this one nice but not necessary), brucellosis

Old 16th October 2002, 07:24 PM
Boxer Pal

Well I am not looking to be beat down that is why I posted to make sure I was making the right decision and investing my time studying if this is right for me and are they right to breed.

I have not shown I have been reading alot on it but it would probly not be with the 2 that I have. The female is 2 years old and my baby the male is 3 years old.

I have had the male for about 2 years I recieved him from a girl in north Louisiana she had a female boxer and she said he was a handful--I have never had a problem with him so not sure.
The female I just aquired from someone who had other dogs and the female dog that was with her was jealous and they think that might have been snapping at her when they were not around.

Pedigrees you mean their bloodline? Like mom and dad to them?

As far as I know they came from a healthy line I have not had any problems with the male that I have and the female is going in monday for standard tests and shots and see about more testing for underlying conditions.

Neither has been shown

I want to breed a healthy line of dogs that are placed into carefully screened homes.

There tempermants are excellant. They tickled me how instantly they bonded it was like they were so happy to meet each other.

Like I said I am not looking to get flamed I am looking for information. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but please this is a question post not a ok I have a male and female so I am breeding I am gathering information to see if this is right for US---as in Hubby and me and Stunner and Brinda

Thanks
Cathy

Old 16th October 2002, 07:29 PM
Boxer Insane

I'm not a breeder so I can't really answer your questions, but I would like to offer some added advice. If you are really serious about the huge responsibility of whelping a litter of pups, and if both dogs have been tested for everything, then I would recommend finding a mentor. Finding an already experienced breeder would be a huge help for you as you raise your first litter of pups. An experienced breeder has already gotten tons of knowledge and of course experience under their belts so having them to guide you would be a huge a help. Especially in an emergency situation where they could potentially save a life.

Old 16th October 2002, 07:37 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by Pnkgurl
As far as I know they came from a healthy line I have not had any problems with the male that I have and the female is going in monday for standard tests and shots and see about more testing for underlying conditions.
Again, I'd like to add some advice. Please do some research on where exactly these dogs came from. I honestly feel as though knowing their bloodlines is one of the first things that a breeder should take into consideration. Your dogs may seem to be healthy and may have great temperaments, but wouldn't you want to know what their history is before you bring another litter into this world??

Old 16th October 2002, 07:43 PM
Jeanne

But you did aquire a male and female under circumstances that most breeders would not consider a way to get good breeding dogs, and you do say you want to breed them. You could not answer the questions I posed, especially the important ones considering pedigree (you ignored the conformation question). Without info on the pedigree (and I mean a 5 generation one, not just parents), you are breeding in the dark- without the knowledge you need for a *good* breeding. That info is as important as the health testing. Yes, you breed (maybe) healthy dogs with just health testing, but without generational info, there's a big unknown for health there. The lines could be riddled with sudden death from heart disease, yet you wouldn't know those dogs died young if you have no clue who they are.

You also need to know the dogs you are breeding meet the Boxer Standard. If you don't show and don't know conformation, how do you know these dogs meet the standard for what a good boxer is supposed to look like? Can you see the strengths and faults in the dogs? You breed to minimize faults and use strengths to improve your dogs. If you can't do that, you should not breed. You would be no better than any other person who stuck 2 dogs together.

I looked for 5 years before I bought my foundation bitch. I educated myself in that time, went to shows and networked with other breeders, read, and researched. I still don't own a stud for my own use, I research males and send my females out, paying a stud fee for the dog I think will be the best match for her. (my boy Harry is related to everyone so I won't use him at hom; he's my first homebred CH.) A good breeder starts out this way. THey are very careful about what dogs they start a breeding program with.

I applaud that you rescued 2 dogs from questionable circumstances, but breeding these dogs isn't necessarily the right thing to be doing.

Old 17th October 2002, 06:22 AM
Boxer Booster

Just some food for thought. There are sooo many dogs that are in need of a home. Volunteer at your local shelter and you'll get the biggest puppy fix you'll ever need. It's actually heartbreaking.

I would leave the breeding to the experts who have researched each dogs bloodlines. Breeding sounds like fun but a lot of care and time goes into it. Without a big payoff like most think. They do it solely for the love of the breed.

If you have no knowledge of your dogs history you won't know exactly what's being passed on. A dog can appear healthy the first few years and then wham a major problem can arise. Just saying your vet tests can all come back "A" ok for the moment. My first Boxer's whole line ended up dying. Including mine and it was horrible to go through. I learned so much from that experience. Today only one dog is still around at only 4 years of age. If something like that would happen (just say) to your line it would be a HUGE weight to have to carry around. My old Boxer breeder thankful never bred again.

I just wanted to add my story. Both of my dogs parents were vet checked and seemed ok. But the breeder did not know the history and that was the result. It's taken me 2 1/2 yrs to even atempt to look for another Boxer and finally get one. It was such a horrible thing to go through.

Old 17th October 2002, 07:10 AM
Boxer Insane

Just wanted to pass on this link

http://my.erinet.com/~ghost/breed-or-not.htm

It has some great info.

I also want to say at least you are asking frist and I hope you will consider all aspects, good and bad, that come with breeding. Many people block out the bad (like the potential of losing the puppies and the bitch) and only focus on the good because they have their mind set on breeding and figure none of the bad stuff will happen to them.

Anyway, please visit that web site and take it all in before making a final decision. Keep in mind that health testing is costly (especially in your case, you have two that need to be tested) and many people invest in it only to find out their dogs (one or both) dont pass certain test.

Also, the first thing you should do is make sure your dogs are to standard before investing in health tests.

Scarlet, classic fawn w/black mask, born 8/19/00

Old 17th October 2002, 07:13 AM
Boxer Insane

this is the link I meant to post

http://www.geocities.com/learntobreed/

Both links I posted are good though.

Old 17th October 2002, 02:22 PM
Boxer Pal

Well I am here to find out if this is right for us, I have never said I have my mind made up I have a female and a male so I am gonna have me some puppies. If I am not ready for it after my research then guess what I am gonna research or shadow with someone or do whatever I need to do to make sure that I am choosing the right dog the right decision and everything. One of the previous quotes was that I had my mind made up, I think if it was then I would not have posted here. I think I would have just waited till she came into heat and locked them up together. As of right now they are side by side but in SEPRATE pins. So I think I am being responsible so far but it seems that some people like to say nasty things here anyways. I have not decided to breed them till I know that I am ready if the information that I gather is not something that is safe for them or their offspring then I am not breeding them. I really appreciate all the comments that were positive and that directed me in the direction I requested to go in.

cathy

Old 17th October 2002, 03:19 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Hello. I know that it seems that people are being nasty but I hope you understand that it is only because people care. Many of the people here work in rescue and see too many dogs there that shouldn't be, but because of someone breeding for the wrong reason they are. Anyway, I hope that with a lot of education you will make the right decision. If you do decide to breed I hope it will be for the right reasons and you will do it responsibly with all the right testing etc.
Jasmine-female born 7/2/2001

Old 17th October 2002, 04:24 PM
Boxer Booster

JulieM here on boxerworld has this link as her signature. I just wanted to post it for you to read. Lots of info.

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding