Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2000, 01:39 PM
Boxer Buddy

Talking

We have an 11 week old male boxer. Titan has a very pointy head and we're not sure that this will ever flatten out. Has anyone seen this in their puppy? We have another 9 month old and we do know that the pointy head is the correct trait for a show boxer but her head was never this pointy as a puppy.
Sponsored Links

Old 6th December 2000, 08:40 AM
Boxer Insane

Boxer pups do have a hump on their heads. Some more than others. I have read they call this "apple head". This is supposed to be a thing to look for when purchasing a puppy. I don't think it should ever flatten out but will not be very noticable unless your looking for it. Pru and Sheeba both had this lump on their heads. Pru's was much larger than Sheeba's. My dad used to make fun of Pru and say it looked like someone thumped her on the head. It's funny because she is now his favorite of the 3. Their lumps can't really be seen from the front anymore but from the side you can see them if you are looking for them. Tyson was 5 months when I got him so I don't know how large his lump was but his is harder to see from the side than my females. If you check out some Boxer web sites and look at their pups you will see the lumps. It's much easier to see on the smaller or skinnier ones than the larger or fatter ones.

Alisha - Indiana

Old 7th December 2000, 10:57 AM
Copper Hill Boxers

This is called the occiput or dome. It is just one thing that goes into making a pretty boxer head, and as the pup matures that dome will disappear for the most part.

------------------
Cindy B/Copper Hill Boxers
http://www.geocities.com/********************************

Old 26th April 2001, 12:21 AM
Boxer Pal

Wink The pointy-headed league

Your pup with the pointy head must be about 7 months old now. One of our boxers was born that way, also, and he's never lost the accentuated, almost sharp point in his cranium. One of our first nicknames for him was "Occiput." I always think he looks like one of those dinosaurs with the boney, cockscomb-like ridge on its head. He was the son of a show dog and a pet bitch, and for more reasons that this, we suspect some of his mom's ancestors were not up to breed standard! He's a great dog, though, now three years old, and his pointy dome hasn't made a bit of difference in his health, intelligence, or sweet and clownish personality.

Old 1st May 2001, 05:54 AM
Boxer Insane

They also call it their "intelligent bump"

Jazmine~Flashy, Fawn Female with natural ears
7/7/00

Chase~Flashy, Brindle male with natural ears 12/9/00
http://boxergirljazz.homestead.com/jazznewpage.html
lovicon

Old 1st May 2001, 06:04 AM
Boxer Buddy

Talking Flattened out

Titan is now 7 1/2 months old and about 60 lbs and his head has pretty much flattened out, there is a little point but from what I'm told all Boxers should have a little point on their head.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Old 9th May 2001, 08:53 AM
Boxer Pal

Cool Pointy Head

Our Percy, who is cropped, fawn neutered male, has a very distinct pointy head. The point is not as noticeable now if you look at him, but you certainly can feel it. The point was perfectly clear when he was a puppy, he is now 1.4 yo.

My friend's comment as soon as he saw a picture of Percy was, "Got a point on his head, smart dog." I must agree with him, Percy is a very bright boy.

Now remember Gentlemen, my mom always told me that a high forehead was a sign of high inteligience, she told me this when I was about 10. I say that to myself every morning as my forehead gets bigger everyday!!!! LOL!!

All the best!

Stevob