Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2012, 05:15 PM
Boxer Pal

Dermatex mites or mange

Hello all. My puppy is about 17 weeks old. At her last vet check up on April 24 we were told she had dermatex mites and given Ivermectin to give to here increasing the dose every three days. My concern is that it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone know if it getting worse means the medicine isn't working or does it just take time for the medicine to start and everything to heal. The vet also said that as she matures her immune system will be able to fight off the mites. Is this true or is this going to be a problem I'm going to be fighting forever???
Sponsored Links

Old 3rd May 2012, 07:29 AM
Reasonable Moderator

Mange will usually get worse before it gets better. I think Ivermectin is a bit extreme for puppy mange, especially if she only has a few spots. It is usually caused by an immature immune system that is not very strong yet. It usually just needs to mature a bit. A good healthy diet with some Vitamin C to boost the immune system is usually all that is required. Don't do anything to stress the immune system, like give vaccinations until it clears up. It will usually go away and never come back.

Good luck with your pup!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:
Cami (3rd May 2012)