Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2011, 09:16 PM
Boxer Pal

White Boxer Breeding Ethical Issue

I'm pleading ignorance here. I don't fully understand why breeding a white boxer is considered unethical, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of widely known (obviously not to me) reasons for not breeding White Boxers. Such as health issues, etc. Let me put straight that I am not planning on breeding a white boxer, I just want to understand the thinking behind it.
Sponsored Links

Old 10th July 2011, 06:19 AM
Boxer Insane

There is a sticky at the top of this very sub-forum on the topic of White Boxer breedings. The very last post, by Gmacleod, says a lot. Check it out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiverDiva For This Useful Post:
Boxerworld (10th July 2011), Caney Creek (10th July 2011), ehayes21 (10th July 2011)

Old 10th July 2011, 06:49 AM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDiva View Post
There is a sticky at the top of this very sub-forum on the topic of White Boxer breedings. The very last post, by Gmacleod, says a lot. Check it out.
THIS!

White boxer breedings
Caney Creek (10th July 2011)

Old 10th July 2011, 07:53 AM
Boxer Insane

Plain and simple, white boxers are more prone to deafness than colored boxers. And breeding them would make their offspring more prone to deafness. And, as you can probably imagine, deaf boxers are harder to place in loving homes because they do require "special" care.
Photo Album

Old 12th July 2011, 02:29 PM
Boxer Pal

I'm just repeating something I've read, but isn't deafness in White Boxers caused by being born without pigment in their inner ear? That's why some White boxers are born deaf, and the ones that aren't have the same chance of progressively going deaf as a fawn or brindle boxer? So I'm wondering if anyone has proven that White Boxers have a higher rate of becoming deaf than fawn or brindled boxers.

Old 12th July 2011, 02:57 PM
Boxer Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaGood View Post
I'm just repeating something I've read, but isn't deafness in White Boxers caused by being born without pigment in their inner ear? That's why some White boxers are born deaf, and the ones that aren't have the same chance of progressively going deaf as a fawn or brindle boxer? So I'm wondering if anyone has proven that White Boxers have a higher rate of becoming deaf than fawn or brindled boxers.
From what i have read... Boxers only come in brindle and fawn, the white colored fur is caused by LACK of pigment hence the reason why white colored (pigmentless) boxers are more prone to deafness.

Last edited by Gilbert; 12th July 2011 at 02:58 PM.

Old 12th July 2011, 03:02 PM
Elusive Moderator

Becoming deaf when? White boxers - those that are deaf because of their lack of pigment - aren't actually born deaf. But they become deaf in their first 2-3 weeks of life. That is about 20-25% of white pups, btw.

If they get to 8 weeks or so without being deaf, then their risk of becoming deaf is no greater than that of a coloured dog (or put another way, IF they subsequently become deaf, it won't be because of being white).

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking when you ask about proof though. That more whites than coloureds become deaf in the first weeks of life? If so, yes, it is "proven" - insofar as anyone can prove anything by means such as surveys (but it's well enough known by breeders as well, so not something disputed by those who know boxers well). If you meant proof that they're more at risk of becoming deaf later in life though - no, not only not proven but also not (to the best of my knowledge) alleged either

Your thread is title refers to ethics and breeding though. That being the case, I suggest that you read through the thread already linked (and it's links). Whether or not a white dog is deaf itself is actually irrelevant as far as breeding goes. The reason you can't use whites for breeding is that any OFFSPRING they produce (and subsequent generations) will ALL be at greater risk of being deaf than if bred from coloured dogs, as their pigment is diluted. Who could possibly KNOWINGLY bread a defect like deafness (loss of the use of a major sensory organ) INTO a dog breed? But that is exactly what would happen if breeding from unpigmented dogs were to take place. Most certainly unethical.

Old 19th July 2011, 08:06 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

A little off topic, but something worth saying.

If people are looking to have their dogs entered because they think it's a beauty contest, or are fishing for compliments, a show ring is the wrong place. TBH, if people are looking for compliments about how cute their puppy is, bring it out in the community, or DP, plenty of dog lovers there. Or post the pictures on BW! Plenty of, "Awwws!" or "How cute!"

Show rings aren't the place for niceties.

Old 3rd August 2011, 09:42 PM
Boxer Booster

I always said that I would love to rescue a white boxer becaues many people put them down. I heard stories about them being deaf but I would not care. This site is very helpful and you will get some great information. Hope this site helps.
JennaGood (5th August 2011)

Old 12th August 2011, 09:48 PM
Boxer Buddy

I found this while researching and memorized the basics:

The white color and flashy gene is also more dominant than colored genes. If you were to keep breeding white Boxers the white color would take over the genepool and there would not be colored Boxers! That gene is very tricky to work with. Even if we breed flashy to flashy we get 2 or more all white Boxers! Also, it is not a naturally occuring gene in Boxers. It is a sort of "fault" in Boxers and we must be careful with it. Also, there are health problems. Deafness is a major one, but also if you notice some white Boxers have Blue eyes, bringing me back to not naturally occuring genes. It can not pass on certain charectaristics either, making it not a "true breed" or "true breeder". Such as never seeing a colored blue eyed Boxer.

Anything said here is not meant to be rude, ecspecialy to people who own white Boxers, but fact. And please breed responsibly in general. I've seen Boxers with muzzles like labs for gosh sake!