Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 7th September 2010, 04:49 PM
Boxer Pal

Unhappy Breeder mistake...any advice? consolation?

Beau was the first Boxer (or purebred dog for that matter) that I had ever owned. I did research on breeders and finally picked Beau's, thinking she was a good/responsible breeder. I even went out to visit first. I really didnt know much about what i was doing then (although it felt like i knew enough, which i didnt) and over the months as i have come to learn more and more about boxers and proper breeding etc. i have realized that we got Beau from a BYB, and the more i check her site and such the more guilty i feel that i did not realize this in the beginning. I do not want to support improper breeding, but i truly made an honest mistake. Now that i have learned this i will be better prepared when getting my next boxer, because of course i fell madly in love with the breed :P

And of course, i am madly in love with Beau. He's my baby and i wouldnt trade him for the world. So now i want to know how i can best take care of him. His parents werent health tested (the sire was off-site so i didnt even see him) and his dam looked over-bred. After I got him I took him to the vet right away and found out he had worms/mites and then he developed demodex mange as well as food allergies. We have treated everything sucessfully and he is on a special hypo-allergenic food. But knowing he did not come from properly bred boxers, is it possible that I can do genetic/heredity tests with him? Can i get cardiology tests done now to make sure his heart is ok, and in the future to check on it?

Also, i worry that he might not be all boxer. He has papers if that counts for anything, He looks like it...and certainly acts like it...and the vet says he looks just like a boxer , but two or three times i've gotten a "is that a boxer mix?" or i think he just looks a little different. His dam was a "sealed" or "reverse" brindle, and at least the breeder explained that and didnt try to pass her off as black or anything. But she looked so dark to me i wonder if she wasnt mixed with something else? She was also shorter and stockier then some boxers, but i've seen so much extrodianary variation among boxers i dont know if that is relevant, and i've seen boxers that look just like Beau so i dont know. I know i could have him DNA tested, and probably will, but until then what are some thoughts on the variation among how boxers look? Is it possible to have a boxer that is all boxer even if they dont meet the breed standard? Does anyone else have a Boxer that looks different? I mean i know they all look different but different from the breed standard...like bat ears or stockier or leggier or anything like that?
And lastly, Beau is 8 months old and weighs about 52 lbs. Is this normal for his age? Or is he too small? He is definatly stockier rather then lanky.

Thanks so much for any advice
Arwyn-A silly sable ferret, 05/08/09
Sponsored Links

Old 8th September 2010, 07:31 AM
Reasonable Moderator

Pretty hard to tell unless you post some pictures. Pups from BYB's can vary a lot. It does not necessarily mean that they are mixed. If he is all black with out any brindle colouring he is mixed with something. If you look at him in the sunlight you may be able to see some brindle markings. The weight seems fairly normal for the age.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan For This Useful Post:
Caney Creek (8th September 2010)

Old 8th September 2010, 04:16 PM
Boxer Insane

I wouldn't bother with a bunch of genetic or health tests. While purchasing a pup that came from heath tested parents lessens the chances of getting a pup with a genetic disorder it certainly doesn't GUARANTEE anything. Plenty of well bred pups develop health issues and plenty of BYB puppies live long & healthy lives. I am a huge supporter of rescuing. We get lots of BEAUTIFUL and healthy pure bred boxers in our rescue. Most of our rescues live very long lives and I can promise most of them did not come from health tested parents. So although I do NOT recommend supporting BYB's (especially since they are causing the homeless dog epidemic) being from a BYB doesn't necessarily mean that the dog is doomed.

At this point all you can do is feed a high quality diet, take him for annual check ups, don't over vaccinate, keep him fit, socialize him well, and obedience train him. If you take these steps he will most likely live a happy & long life.

As far as the way he looks many pups go through different stages of development. He is far from being finished
developing & changing. And i wouldn't worry about questions like "is he a mix"? The average person doesn't know dog breeds well enough to judge anything.
Boxeramamama (9th September 2010), Caney Creek (8th September 2010), peanutbutter (8th September 2010), samsons (8th September 2010), Sansal (8th September 2010)

Old 8th September 2010, 08:22 PM
Super Boxer

if you are wanting to have your pups heart checked we were told not until 1 yr old. that is when we had it done and it was rather inexpensive procedure. they do not sedate them because they want a normal rhythm. they have them lay on their side with the machine attached. keeping them calm is what the challenge is

as for the difference in the breed their are alot of variations. our baby has long legs, long body and a longer nose but she is all boxer. we have seen shorter stockier boxers with scrunched noses also. we still get from ignorant people that our baby is a pit and people are afraid of her. its ridiculous. so just love your baby and don't worry about what others have to say. give the best you can and never look back.

Old 9th September 2010, 09:12 AM
Boxer Insane

I agree I wouldn't spend the time, money, or energy on a bunch of tests. And I also get a lot of comments about Thor being mixed. He is very stocky, so I hear american bulldog or St. Benard (similar markings). Frankly, even tho' he is all boxer, first and foremost he is "my boy"! The only genetic testing I am considering is for cardiomyopathy, and that is on my 3 yr old girl, Arabella. (I know Thor has heart issues already) . The only reason I am considering that one is because with cardiomyopathy the first symptom can also be the last.

Basically just love your Beau now, deal with any issues IF they come up. Worrying about what MAY happen is just wasted energy.
Thor-male brindle 05/24/01- 10/03/13

Old 14th September 2010, 11:06 AM
Boxer Insane

I got Napoleon from a man that paid a lot of money for him from a breeder... (then mistreated him)
I have papers on him which say he is a boxer.

He has major allergy problems, and looks to be more mastiff than boxer, he is big compaired to other boxers and when he was younger, he also had behavioral problems. He really doesn't have a lot of boxer traits as far as personality.

BUT...I love him just the same. He is still my baby boy.

Old 18th September 2010, 11:16 PM
Boxer Insane

Being from a BYB is not a guarantee of anything. Even buying from a reputable breeder is not a guarantee that the dog will be healthy. So try not to freak yourself out about that! My first boxer was from a rescue, so who knows what her breeding was like--but I'm sure she was from a BYB-type situation. And aside from being hypothyroid, which is minor and simple to treat, she was healthy as could be until she was 12 years old. IMO, that ain't too bad.

I would say it's more likely that he is purebred. 90% of the time, people think Juno is a mix. Or something completely different from a boxer. But I met a bunch of her relatives, I have her pedigree.... I know she's a boxer. Most people just don't know that much about dog breeds. There is a lot of variation within the breed as well. Some have longer muzzles, some are really smooshed in, some are lean and some are stocky, some are long and some are more square... they're all boxers but unless that breeder is breeding for conformation showing, they'll probably have dogs that don't fit the "standard."

Quote:
After I got him I took him to the vet right away and found out he had worms/mites and then he developed demodex mange as well as food allergies.
All of that is actually very normal. All puppies have worms, d-mange is very common in puppies (it's usually brought on by stress, and puppies go through a lot of stress), food allergies are pretty common in dogs in general but I think boxers especially are pretty known for their food sensitivities. So I wouldn't let that stuff be an indication of the health of your dog, and it's not necessarily a result of where he came from. Juno has went through all of those things as well, and she's very healthy.

I have a BYB dog so I know the guilt that comes from it. And I actually -knew- it was a BYB, which made me feel even worse afterwards... but I was only 14 at the time so as soon as I saw the puppies, my heart made the decisions rather than my head. I regret WHERE I got her from, but I do not regret HER.... at the end of the day, all dogs deserve a loving home. And I tend to think things happen for a reason--who knows, you may have something very special in Beau.

Old 18th September 2010, 11:32 PM
Boxer Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
Being from a BYB is not a guarantee of anything. Even buying from a reputable breeder is not a guarantee that the dog will be healthy. So try not to freak yourself out about that! My first boxer was from a rescue, so who knows what her breeding was like--but I'm sure she was from a BYB-type situation. And aside from being hypothyroid, which is minor and simple to treat, she was healthy as could be until she was 12 years old. IMO, that ain't too bad.

I would say it's more likely that he is purebred. 90% of the time, people think Juno is a mix. Or something completely different from a boxer. But I met a bunch of her relatives, I have her pedigree.... I know she's a boxer. Most people just don't know that much about dog breeds. There is a lot of variation within the breed as well. Some have longer muzzles, some are really smooshed in, some are lean and some are stocky, some are long and some are more square... they're all boxers but unless that breeder is breeding for conformation showing, they'll probably have dogs that don't fit the "standard."

All of that is actually very normal. All puppies have worms, d-mange is very common in puppies (it's usually brought on by stress, and puppies go through a lot of stress), food allergies are pretty common in dogs in general but I think boxers especially are pretty known for their food sensitivities. So I wouldn't let that stuff be an indication of the health of your dog, and it's not necessarily a result of where he came from. Juno has went through all of those things as well, and she's very healthy.

I have a BYB dog so I know the guilt that comes from it. And I actually -knew- it was a BYB, which made me feel even worse afterwards... but I was only 14 at the time so as soon as I saw the puppies, my heart made the decisions rather than my head. I regret WHERE I got her from, but I do not regret HER.... at the end of the day, all dogs deserve a loving home. And I tend to think things happen for a reason--who knows, you may have something very special in Beau.

FROM THE MOUTHS OF BABES ... well said dear !!

Old 19th September 2010, 05:22 PM
Completely Boxer Crazy

I've had three white boxes -- each with different builds, head shapes, and muzzle length. These guys definitely have variations. And the good news is, if your baby is mixed, that helped to strain out a lot of the disease risk. I have a pug that is clearly poorly bred, perhaps mixed, and she breaths better than most pugs and is much healthier. So it's not all bad, either way.
Cairo, white boxer, 2002-2010, my angel. I miss my funny face.

Old 10th October 2010, 01:27 PM
Boxer Pal

jake is not a pit! hes a boxer

when i first got my boxer who is half german half american, every single person i saw thought he was a pitbull. Someone tried to tell ME i was wrong ( i picked him up from the breeders house and he looks just like his parents, who are both 100% boxers). As he has gotten bigger he definetly is a boxer, hes more stocky than alot of other boxer puppys i have seen but that could be from his mom who was german and they are shorter and stockier, maybe your beau has a mix of german boxer, who knows. Jake also has a longer snout then an average and doesnt turn up at all. but i know how frustrating it is when people ask if your dogs mixed when you have a purebred.

Old 12th October 2010, 08:34 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

Rowdy just turned 9 months old and he only weighs 54 pounds. The vet records I received on Capone said he was 63 pounds at 9 months old. It just depends on the dog. Capone has a huge head and Rowdy doesn't haha. Right after we got Rowdy he had kennel cough and then he had a skin allergy to something in the grass he was playing with. I felt like it was something all the time. All you can do is love them!