Go Back   Boxer Board > BOXER HEALTH FORUMS > Canine genetics and heredity issues

Canine genetics and heredity issues For bloodlines and breeding related messages and questions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2007, 08:05 PM
Boxer Pal

Skinny

I was just wondering why some boxers are so full and others look so skinny. We have a 2 1/2 year old fawn and she is very full and healthy looking even when she was a pup she was very full. Now our 15 week old brindle she looks very skinny almost like she is wearing a corset. You can see her ribs. She eats like a hog and she is gaining weight but it makes me feel like she is anorexic. I have been looking at pictures on here and I see boxers that are full and some that are skinny and show ribs. What causes this and is there any way to change it. I like the full look I guess it is a personal preference. Her parents looked skinny also. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 19th September 2007, 05:27 AM
Boxer Insane

Like humans, I guess boxers come in all shapes and sizes!

Biff was a skinny youth, but at 16 months, he is still filling out, and I think he looks perfect at the moment. Still lean, but getting quite muscular. Buttons is only 9 weeks, and a right skinny wee runt

A lot of it will be down to diet and exercise (again just like humans )

And there again, I know quite a few people who eat like horses but never gain weight - and the others who put on pounds just walking past the cake shop

As long as you know your boxer is getting a good diet, and lots of exercise, and is fit and healthy, there is no need to worry.
Bruno~ 2/6/10 ~ red boy ~ undocked ~ rescued

Old 19th September 2007, 07:36 AM
Completely Boxer Crazy

My Winston is very ribby as well. He eats like crazy and he does put on weight but just about everyone I talk to wants to know if he is a rescue DH thinks I should just say yes

Winston is 15 months old now, and he is starting to fill out a bit but is still skinny. My agility trainer was discussing the different dogs in class and safe jumping for their size, age and weight and actually said that most serious agility people would prefer their dog to have the lean physique of Winston - my first compliment ever on his weight! I couldn't wait to come home and tell DH
Virginia Mae - Rottweiler - 6/20/96 - 6/17/06